mtbr member
    Jan 2013

BC Bike Race - Fat bike vs full Sus 29?

Anyone here done the BC Bike Race? How about riding a Fat bike? Based on your experience with that race if you had a choice between riding a Surly Pugsley vs a Transition Covert 29, which would you choose for that race and why?

The experts eg Dre suggest full Sus & 29. (Eg Covert 29)
    But I ride my Pugsley EVERYWHERE in all conditions, all year round. 9 times out of 10 I pick the Pugsley over the Covert. But for me it's A matter of choosing versatility over comfort and speed.
    Hard to ignore the advice of those that bin there dun dat though.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would pick neither. But, of the two... the Covert. No way I'd want to lug a pugs around that many days... over that kind of terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What about a Santa Cruz Bronson? Stupidity?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wouldn't say stupidity... it would obviously hold up and be super plush. But you'd be carrying a bunch of extra weight and travel that you wouldn't necessarily need. If you're just there to do it, I think you'd be OK.

A SC Solo (or whatever it's called now) would rip though

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i did the race a few years back and am pretty familiar with the area as a whole. while i think it would be pretty cool to do it on a fat bike ( i have one ), i think you would have to be prepared for long and rough days. Full sus 29 would be my first choice as it would make the race a bit more fun than riding a fat bike - which would basically be a sufferfest. But if you are into that, then go for it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yah consensus is Covert ( of course). As a virgin of this kind of event I'm thinking I need every edge I can get just to finish. And descents will be a lot more fun on the Covert. Appreciate the feedback!

gio
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi, just done it last year (2013). You really need to carefully pick a bike that is comfortable as well as helping you saving as much energy as possible. The climbs are just super steep and long, followed by short but fast descents and then steep climbs again x 1000 times, did I mention sandy hills climb too? lol. I would definitely pick a 29er, cos those roots are just massive!

In short, I would recommend you choosing a full sus trail 29er bike, with not too aggressive tyres for those long climbs ( I used Kenda karma + 100mm full sus 26er, which I really regret picking) + lots of electrolyte sachets/ tablets, and also maybe going thru 8-10 power gels a day. Hope this helps

PS. if I was to do it again, I would install one of those small bags that you can put on the top tube - for easier access to nutrition.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If all you want to do is participate and not worry about how fast you go, either a Pigsly or a covert would be fine. If you actually want to race neither are close to ideal. A race bike or an XC oriented trail bike with a fairly light build would be best.

Given a choice between the two I'd go with the Covert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks! Great to hear from experienced riders!

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    If all you want to do is participate and not worry about how fast you go, either a Pigsly or a covert would be fine. If you actually want to race neither are close to ideal. A race bike or an XC oriented trail bike with a fairly light build would be best. Given a choice between the two I'd go with the Covert.
    This is truth. First off, BCBR is an awesome event. Raced... well, I rode it in '10, and would do it every year if I could afford it. I'm positive that year there was at least on SS, and a few fat bikes... and then, a butt load of FS bikes.

I rode my Pivot429 (4 inch FS) with a 120mm fork, dropper post and light, go fast tires (IKONs) and never really wished for 'more' bike... except, maybe, for Day 7 in Whistler... most likely would have been fine with a front tire change. Of the two options... I'd also take the Covert. Should be a blast!

Category Winner
    Ride whatever bike you have the most fun on. Period.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BC Bike Race - Fat bike vs full Sus 29?-mtbrfat.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Too cool. Love the pic.

I love riding my rigid geared bike and wonder sometimes if I am excluding myself from some fun rides/events because I think the course isn't suited to the rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Ride whatever bike you have the most fun on. Period.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Too cool. Love the pic.

I love riding my rigid geared bike and wonder sometimes if I am excluding myself from some fun rides/events because I think the course isn't suited to the rigid.
    I never let that stand in the way. That said, I hardly ever ride or race in Pisgah without suspension. A bit of a "been there, done that, had enough" kinda thing for me.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I hear that. I am a budget rider right now. As soon as funds allow, I will probably pick up a FS (or at least a HT) for just those types of rides/adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    I never let that stand in the way. That said, I hardly ever ride or race in Pisgah without suspension. A bit of a "been there, done that, had enough" kinda thing for me.