Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BC Bike Race

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

BC Bike Race

This is a thread for all things BC Bike Race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am doing this race and am looking for some nutrition tips from folks that have done it. What are their aid stations like? I am hoping to have one water bottle on my bike and one smaller one on my jersey. Will that get me to the stations OK with decent speed? Also, looks like they have lots of good food on the course.

Your Best Friend
    This race is on top of my bucket list. I'd love to do it next year. Anyone who's done it before...when do you need to sign up to get in and does it sell out quick?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Aid stations are very good. Two bottles, even if one is smaller, should be fine. But will depend on weather, length of stage etc. But remember, there are other things you need to carry (bandages, matches etc.) so sometimes a camelback is a good idea.

It does usually sell out. I think this year it sold out sometime in the fall. The thing is, pricing is often determined by how early you sign up. The early bird pricing when I did it was a smoking deal - but registration started the day after the final stage of the previous year (i.e., I signed up a full year in advance). It saved a lot of money for an expensive race. I think they are still doing that, but those spots fill up super fast (minutes). Their website should have all the info.

It is a superb event. Very well run, great vibe, amazing trails, great communities. Not super hard, but a lot of fun. I've done it twice, and would love to do it again sometime. Did I mention the great trails? Just awesome single track.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Bottles and pack

Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Aid stations are very good. Two bottles, even if one is smaller, should be fine. But will depend on weather, length of stage etc. But remember, there are other things you need to carry (bandages, matches etc.) so sometimes a camelback is a good idea.

It does usually sell out. I think this year it sold out sometime in the fall. The thing is, pricing is often determined by how early you sign up. The early bird pricing when I did it was a smoking deal - but registration started the day after the final stage of the previous year (i.e., I signed up a full year in advance). It saved a lot of money for an expensive race. I think they are still doing that, but those spots fill up super fast (minutes). Their website should have all the info.

It is a superb event. Very well run, great vibe, amazing trails, great communities. Not super hard, but a lot of fun. I've done it twice, and would love to do it again sometime. Did I mention the great trails? Just awesome single track.
    Yes it sells out quick. I got in the first day registration opened as a solo and it was not too bad. A lot cheaper then also.

I just saw the mandatory list !!!

http://www.bcbikerace.com/media/3391...datorygear.pdf

1) 1 rain shell
    2) 1.5 L water (at start or demonstrable capacity at any checkpoint)
    3) whistle (Fox40 or better)
    4) emergency food
    5) pressure dressing (to stop uncontrolled bleeding)
    6) waterproof matches or waterproof lighter

Those can fit into a small pack. Hopefully the rain shell is only if weather permits. But 1.5L of water is tough to fit in two bottles. Are they strict on this ? I looked at pics of people in the race and many only had one bottle. 2 * the large Camelback 25 ounce bottles = 1.5L but it would be tough to carry one of those in your back pocket.

Do you think I would be OK with one 25er on the cage and a 16 in my back pocket?

So carrying 2-3 gels and a bar should be OK along with the other stuff?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Sounds like an absolute blast! Drool worthy race. I do wonder if my old body could stand up to six days of hard riding but I would give it a try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Any pro-tips on the need for a droppe seat post? I really prefer not to spend the extra cash on a dropper just for this race on my XC bike but have read *hard* recommendations on it based on the terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You are supposed to carry the extra stuff - they supposedly do random checks and will penalize you if you don't have it. It's not that big a deal, I went with a camelback so it was easy to fit in; plus, I feel you should at least be respectful to the organizers. You are in some pretty rugged terrain, and stuff can happen. On one stage I had to help medics carry an injured rider out, and we sure needed those rain shells to keep her warm.

I just went with a camelback with some gu or whatever in it; I didn't carry any gels etc. I'm not a big user of them anyways, and I found that I had no problem with energy between aid stations (sometimes I'd stick some sharkies from a station in my pocket just in case). So what you suggest seems more than fine. But you'll see, after the first stage you'll know what you'll need in the following days. Even more important I'd say are a couple of powerlinks, pump, tube.

A dropper post would be good. But if you don't want to spend the money, don't. The first year I didn't have one - no problem. The second time I had a reverb but snapped my cable on the second day so was without it for the rest of the week. It definitely made some of the downhills a bit more fun and faster. But 'technical' is relative - I consider myself a pretty average technical rider, and I didn't find too much that intimidating (although I didn't fly down some of the stuff as fast as others). But if I had the choice, I'd go with one.

You'll have a great time. There are some long descents that are just phenomenal.

Category Winner
    Did the first one back in '07. First time going back since then.

I would imagine they would allow two bottles to fly (sm=22oz, lg=24). Keep in mind, if you are a slower rider and it's a hot day... you could be stretching things thin.

Dropper post? If you have problems negotiating steep terrain with a normal post, I'd think about it. It's not as if the every descent is monster steep, but droppers sure do allow you to maximize the experience on a FS or hardtail. If you decide to use one, buy it now and get used to it. July will not be the time to learn how to master one.

Don't think I'll be using one though. Not my style for this type of event.

I will follow the rules as far as required gear, mostly out of respect for the promoters. I've seen sillier items on a required gear list, and these seem pretty reasonable. Jersey pockets and a strap or two and you'll have all the room you need to carry everything.

Like someone else said already, don't forget tools, pump, power links, tubes and whatever else you normally carry as well. Without stepping too far into the realm of shilling product, you can carry a lot of stuff without loading your jersey pockets or using a hydration pack.

2014 registration starts the day the 2013 race ends. If you want in, you best get in ASAP. Take advantage of early bird pricing while you can.

Speaking of jumping on things, a lot of the discounted lodging has been scooped up for this year. If you haven't booked your Vancouver and Whistler village hotels, you might wanna get on it.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Glad to see a fresh thread on BCBR. It's my first time this year. I was one of the first to register, so I got the lowest price ($500 off). My friend registered 5 minutes after me and the price already went up. Crazy!

The mandatory gear seems reasonable. I wasn't necessarily planning on bringing a rain shell, but I can pack one in a jersey pocket or my small Camelback.

As for the dropper post, I'm definitely sporting one. It added a half pound to my rig, but I love descending more than climbing and I want to maximize my fun. = )

My only gear question at this point regards how many sets of shorts and jerseys to bring. Do most riders really bring 7 sets of riding kits? Or do most people do a load of laundry during the week? I understand there will be some laundry mats in some of the towns.

Can't wait!!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcjacob21 View Post
    My only gear question at this point regards how many sets of shorts and jerseys to bring. Do most riders really bring 7 sets of riding kits? Or do most people do a load of laundry during the week? I understand there will be some laundry mats in some of the towns.

Can't wait!!
    I've seen it all. Some folks bring seven kits, some do laundry, and some are rinsing their chamois out in the showers and sinks.

I try to gather up seven kits. I'd rather not sit and watch my clothes tumble for a couple hours. Now if there were a bar/laundromat option?

Mebbe.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Now if there were a bar/laundromat option?
    Genius business opportunity.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Genius business opportunity.
    Had one in college, Sud N Duds. Or some name similar. Hard to remember that far back.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    Had one in college, Sud N Duds. Or some name similar. Hard to remember that far back.
    And to think we just sat there with forties of Midnight Dragon in a brown paper bag watching our clothes tumble dry...

like heathens.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    OK, getting a dropper post for the utmost enjoyment seems to be the way to go. Now which one ?

I like the idea of the KS so there is no loooong extra cable. Thoughts?

LEV — KS | Get Down and Dirty

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Thoughts from a 2012 Finisher

I did the race last yaer so here are my thoughts:

Water bottles: definitely doable with just two, depending on the conditions but most people carry a camelbak to help with the mandatory items. To be honest these can be carrried in your jersey or a small bike bag. The only hesitation I would have about two water bottles is if you drop one. Could make for a very long ride to the next aid station.

Aid Stations: Absolutely great. They have everything you need. Chips, cookies, energy bars, energy drinks, gels, shots. Even water. The mechanics there are amazing. A rider with a broken shock managed to make it home after they fixed it using some bush engineering.

Laundry: I took the advice of the race organisers and brought seven sets of kits. It's worth it. You are pretty tired at the end of each day and finding a laundry is not that easy. It's also a big time suck. There were probably only two nights where I'd say there was a laundry within easy walking distance. You also need to factor in that there may be a queue to use the laundry too. I find ordering a set of custom shorts / jersey to be quite cost effective. The good news is that you won't have to buy any riding gear for a long time

Dropper Posts: Can be done without it but glad that I took mine. Besides the gnarly descents, being able to drop the post an inch for some of the tricky singletrack was quite handy. I used the rockshock and had absolutely no problems with it. If you are confident on your downhill abilities, then I say you can probably save your $$ on this as I'd put it more in the category of a nice to have than an absolute essential. Plus unless you are going for a podium in your category, it doesn't take that long to lower the seat and raise it again.

Hope this helps. It's a great event and I have absolutely no regrets in doing it. My only other advice is practice riding wet roots. Last year it rained a lot and the wet roots were a real pain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm a 2012 finisher as well. Definitely bring the rain jacket. It rained the first 3 days and the temps were a little chilly, especially with the wet. I'd also bring a spare derailleur hanger and zip ties on the rides. I'm also thankful to have brought 7 kits. The last thing I'd want to do at the end of the day is laundry. Especially with longish shower and bike wash lines. Overall, it was a great time. The only thing I'd do differently is book a hotel room for more of the race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wendybikes View Post
    I'm a 2012 finisher as well. Definitely bring the rain jacket. It rained the first 3 days and the temps were a little chilly, especially with the wet. I'd also bring a spare derailleur hanger and zip ties on the rides. I'm also thankful to have brought 7 kits. The last thing I'd want to do at the end of the day is laundry. Especially with longish shower and bike wash lines. Overall, it was a great time. The only thing I'd do differently is book a hotel room for more of the race.
    I concur with the 7 kits recommendation. I haven't done the BCBR but had a blast doing the TR three times. The absolute best cycling purchase I ever made was picking up seven new pair of Pearl Izumi shorts a week before my first TR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got the Lev. Was awesome for 3 rides then it froze and will not go up or down...Being shipped back. Lets hope this is a one off problem !

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Any tips on tire choice for BCR? I am running 29er and was thinking of Maxxis Crossmark or Larsen on the back but think I need something beefier on the front. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are doing the race this year for the first time as a team and I was wondering if people carry walkie talkies while riding? I was thinking it might be a good idea since my wife rides a bit slower than I do so if I get ahead I can call back to check on her or if one falls and the other is ahead we can get the other one. Is this allowed in the race and if so, anyone with a recommendation on some to get that are under $100 for the pair? thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dhubbard858 View Post
    Any tips on tire choice for BCR? I am running 29er and was thinking of Maxxis Crossmark or Larsen on the back but think I need something beefier on the front. Ideas?
    In the four BCBR's I competed in I rode a Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 out back and an Ardent 2.25 up front. I think it is a great combo for the terrain, YMMV.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I did the race last year and I took 4 good pairs of shorts and a couple I prefer not to wear. On Day 2 it rained and a fair number of us ended up at the laundromat. Even if you had 7 pairs of shorts, what were you going to do with that muddy wet pair? There weren't many options (hang on tent), or much time to dry them. Remember you are moving every day - you pack up in the AM and those clothes are stuck in that bag until you retrieve it after the race. I can't imagine what that wet pair of shorts might have been like after day 7 :-(

So we had easy access to a laundromat on Day 2 and Day 5? (first day in Squamish).

That all said, you'll be busy enough with packing/unpacking/transfers (bus/ferry)/waiting for showers & bike wash that if you can avoid the laundry you may want to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shantyspark View Post
    Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are doing the race this year for the first time as a team and I was wondering if people carry walkie talkies while riding? I was thinking it might be a good idea since my wife rides a bit slower than I do so if I get ahead I can call back to check on her or if one falls and the other is ahead we can get the other one. Is this allowed in the race and if so, anyone with a recommendation on some to get that are under $100 for the pair? thanks.

Skip the walkie-talkie's, ride with her as teammates should, and spend the $100 on getting a post-race massage for her on a few of the tougher days. Just sayin'.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

What's the focus of your race?

Quote Originally Posted by dhubbard858 View Post
    I am doing this race and am looking for some nutrition tips from folks that have done it.
    What are you expecting to get out of the race?

I'm asking because it has an impact on whether you would want to depend on the aid stations.

If you are expecting to race hard then I would expect that you'd want to carry a fair portion of your own food - stuff that you are used to and know won't cause you any issues such as indigestion or gas.

If you are there for the experience and out to have a good time then you'll have time to stop at the aid station and graze a bit. Last year there were PB&J sandwiches, potato chips, Clif Bars/Bloks/Shots. And there was Red Bull. There was never any issue with quantity. Even though I was riding well and got through early I never heard any complaints from anyone.

I mention red Bull in particular cause I broke that rule of never doing anything different in the race than you had done in training. I ended up grabbing a Reb Bull and mixing it 50/50 with electrolyte drink. The Camelback bottle would hiss and burble for the next half hour, but I had some great final legs on several days.

I rode with a Salomon running pack - I was talked in to it by my coach and I found that it stayed in place better than any other pack I've ever worn. And it had pockets on the front so was easy to use.

I hope the coach thing doesn't sound too anal. I'd had some injuries in previous stage races mostly due to mental fatigue and I didn't want to repeat that in BCBR. I failed in that BTW. The hospital in Squamish is friendly. I did fiond that training does work though. Who knew :-) ?

The other reason I ask about your focus is that many people ask how the scenery was. Umm, there was scenery? I was racing after all. There were people further back in the GC who stopped to take photos. I suspect they had a lot more fun than I did. I'd love to back to BC and play.

What I do remember are the fantastic people connected to the race, and the great people who came to race.

Oh, and I definitely remember the hospital Squamish. I just don't quite remember what I did to get there. I'm missing a minute of two of my day 6.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast