Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Bar ends or not?

Who uses bar ends for endurance races and why?

mtbr member
    I run the Ergon GS2 grips. They have a short carbon bar end. I like the Ergon grips for endurance racing and the little bar ends help when climbing.

Oro D

mtbr member
    No, too easy to get them caught on trees etc when riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hell yeah. A MUST for my SS
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

Fat-tired Roadie
    I like 'em. Nice hand position for climbing, nice hand position if I end up on a road for a while. I have full-sized ski-bends. Kind of curious about some big honkin' L-bends or the old school Scott bar.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Grip it and rip it.
    I made the switch back to straight bars and bar ends for this past race season after using low risers for a few years and I have no regrets, think I'll stick with them for a while now at least! I use a 640mm carbon bar with the Ergon grip/bar-end combo and love it. More options for grip and I like to stretch out my body for climbing sometimes, seems to open up the lungs more.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dnek View Post
    Who uses bar ends for endurance races and why?
    I was watching a mtb video the other day and the announcer mentioned that few of
    the Euro pros used bar ends any more, and that wider bars were more in fashion.
    Are wider bars and bar ends really two different solutions to the same problem? I'm
    just a newbie, not judging anyone.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    I was watching a mtb video the other day and the announcer mentioned that few of
    Are wider bars and bar ends really two different solutions to the same problem?
    I run a 700mm with bar ends. I like the comfort and stability of a 680-720mm bar. Although, the wider bar doesn't address the added hand positions available with bar ends. I have tried to run the bar alone, but, constantly miss the grip options.

Happy Trails
    Ergons yes, Bar Ends no.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    Are wider bars and bar ends really two different solutions to the same problem? I'm
    just a newbie, not judging anyone.

Thanks in advance.
    No, they address different problems. Bar-ends help you get your weight forward for climbs primarily. Many also like being able to adjust hand positions on long flat stretches. Wider bars primarily offer more control on technical sections and rocky downhills.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bar ends rule!

I also run flat bars (580/590) with a long stem (130)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    bar ends are just added weight. unless you are doing crazy long mileage that you need different handholds to ease pain, no need. it's a luxury that adds to slowing you down. this is racing not touring.

short races are about going as fast as possible. ditch the luxury and go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    bar ends are just added weight.
    Mine might weigh 80g on a static part of my bike. Hardly a detriment to my speed. I doubt you would be able to measure in tenths of a second over a 20mi race. The benefits "outweigh" the weight.

unless you are doing crazy long mileage that you need different handholds to ease pain, no need.
    Any ride over 1hr i find the comfort to be an asset. The longer i'm comfortable, the longer i can ride.

short races are about going as fast as possible. ditch the luxury and go faster.
    You do know this is the "Endurance" forum, right? I figured it was assumed this was for 6+ hrs of riding. Even then, as i said, after 1hr of riding the 80g is negligible for the hand positions it provides me. Especially since most of my riding is SS and my body position is all over the place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Mine might weigh 80g on a static part of my bike. Hardly a detriment to my speed. I doubt you would be able to measure in tenths of a second over a 20mi race. The benefits "outweigh" the weight.

Any ride over 1hr i find the comfort to be an asset. The longer i'm comfortable, the longer i can ride.

You do know this is the "Endurance" forum, right? I figured it was assumed this was for 6+ hrs of riding. Even then, as i said, after 1hr of riding the 80g is negligible for the hand positions it provides me. Especially since most of my riding is SS and my body position is all over the place.

stobe you need to train harder if one hour is too long for you....lol

i'll see you on monday at 8am to work on that

and yes of course if your on a SS it is mandatory to use barends. all my SS have barends.

the way i see it in races:
    1-3 hours is a sprint, go all out with the lightest bike possible to win no matter how uncomfortable. turn brain off and go all out. if you train enough your body will know what to do.

4-9 hours, ride the lightest bike you can finish in the fastest time. comfort is still a luxury. we are still seeing xc speeds on endurance races now. guys are pushing lower LT watts at these hours and winning. yes destroying themselves too, but winning.

10-48 hours, make adjustments so your body does not wear out before your brain does. padding on carbon saddles, barends, maybe even suspension.

2-30 days very little other than going to extremes is going to make a difference. it's all about mind over pain and more pain and some more pain. a little extra comfort, weight or luxury is not going to win or lose a race. a lot might. it's all about enduring and your physical/mental limits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    No, too easy to get them caught on trees etc when riding.
    Been riding since '91 and this only happened once and it was a vine. My Ergons have probably saved my pinky more from sides of trees then I can count. To me they are a must but it is your ride. Try them, if you don't like them, place them in the parts bin.

mtbr member
    On some bikes I never miss em and on some I use em all the time. I like the big honkin L-bends, then I cover them with nice squishy, grippy bar tape for added grip comfort and diameter.
    If you like em use em.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    To each their own, I love mine and will keep using them

mtbr member
    Love bar ends on my bikes. The ability to change positions to avoid hand fatigue is invaluable, in addition to the help with climbing.
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

mtbr member
    Only knobs use bar ends! Don't succumb.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    while I would not call myself an endurance racer and not even really an endurance rider (let) I will say that having barends are a nice option the bigger you are. I am 6'5" tall and weight 260 currently and am aiming for about 230 lbs which is quite light for me. having that extra hand position is very nice because I weight more I have more stress on my hands. also that extra stretch/leverage is very nice on the steeper climbs, it helps keep that front tire on the ground while still pedalling hard.

nOOb
    May 2008
    No bar ends, haven't used them for many years. I tried Ergons, but didn't like them. I like to rotate my hands quite a bit, I felt those restricted that. I only use flat bars and I don't miss bar ends, although I can see why many people do.
    Use whatever you're comfortable with after trying the options yourself I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use to have them. One day they hooked a vine when I was going about 20. Not pretty for me or my front wheel. I run the Jones loop bar now. Gives lots a variety for hand positions
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member

Re: Bar ends or not?

I'm in for barends on my flat bar rigid 29er ergon gp2, I enjoy mine
    Its a matter of preference, it would be nice to try before you buy

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    I use bar ends on both the geared and single speed bike for several reasons. First, if I'm on a power section (flat or uphill), wether in the saddle or out, I want my hands further forward than when I'm riding technical sections or going downhill -- I feel I get a better power output that way. But it's not how I want to be when things get rough -- I want my hands in the moto position and near the brakes. Second, I like the fact that one of the bikes has a riser bar and having bar ends on 'em pisses off the fashionistas.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bar ends are good to change hand position on long rides, however I find them useless for climbing because grabbing the handlebar by its extremities create an awkward and counter productive posture. I find that having your hands aligned with your shoulder and your elbows close to the rib cages allows a higher pedaling output. In other words using bar ends to climb is like doing pushups and pullups with your hands far apart –*it's harder that way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast