Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894

    Arizona Trail Race 300/750

    Whos in on this race and who has done it? Im going to show up to blow up on the 300. Im not a bikepacker but i really love the Arizona trail and want to see what im made of. Trying to beat 30hrs.

    Ill have ridden the whole 300 by then so know what im getting into. I want to try and ride it with 4hrs of sleep. Ride as far as i can, sleep 4, ride the rest.

    Im curious do the fast guys make it to Lemmon, over lemmon, on the 1st "day". In relative terms other than mt lemmon the race profiles downhill a lot.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,392
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Whos in on this race and who has done it? Im going to show up to blow up on the 300. Im not a bikepacker but i really love the Arizona trail and want to see what im made of. Trying to beat 30hrs.
    Lane. You are not doing 30hrs.

    Kurt's record is insanely fast at 45 hours.
    Kurt barely slept and carry all the food he needed for the event so no off course diversions.

    Arizona Trail 300 Records
    Male Kurt Refsnider (2014) 1:21:07
    Female Eszter Horanyi (2013) 2:13:10

    I did the 300 last year in a respectable 3 days 16hrs 47 minutes.


    I was riding for 14-18 hrs per day.

    Trackleaders has the times for 2017.

    Arizona Trail Race 2017 live tracker by trackleaders.com

    Also It took me about 36 hours from summerhaven (top of Lemmon) to the finish. This included 1 night stop. It trends downhill, but not easy riding.

    My ride report from 2017 is here. Just go to "April 2017"

    Joe's Biking Adventures and other Ramblings
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  3. #3
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Lane. You are not doing 30hrs.

    Kurt's record is insanely fast at 45 hours.
    Kurt barely slept and carry all the food he needed for the event so no off course diversions.

    Arizona Trail 300 Records
    Male Kurt Refsnider (2014) 1:21:07
    Female Eszter Horanyi (2013) 2:13:10

    I did the 300 last year in a respectable 3 days 16hrs 47 minutes.


    I was riding for 14-18 hrs per day.

    Trackleaders has the times for 2017.

    Arizona Trail Race 2017 live tracker by trackleaders.com

    Also It took me about 36 hours from summerhaven (top of Lemmon) to the finish. This included 1 night stop. It trends downhill, but not easy riding.

    My ride report from 2017 is here. Just go to "April 2017"

    Joe's Biking Adventures and other Ramblings
    Oh Neil told me the record was 28hrs i thought. I never looked it up.

    Im definitely not breaking any record haha. I gotta go back and start over. I thought the record was 28 hrs i figured shoot for 30.

    I am not riding for 4 days or whatever it would take. Cause im not carrying all that gear. I thought it was 28hrs and i would ride for about 17, sleep 4, then finish. Neil probably said just under 48hrs and i thought he said 28hrs.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,392
    your first goal for the 300 should simply be to finish. It is a brute of a ride and is no walk in the park. Very easy to go out too fast and blow up and never finish. The entire race trends downhill with parker canyon lake being higher elevation than the finish at picketpost, but that does not mean it is easy. There also extended hike a bikes that cut the average speed down. Plus there is the issue of water. Water is sparse on the trail and you need to know where your water is and how much you need to bring. It can be hot in the desert parts (95F) and below freezing at the top of Lemmon. Even in the same year. Last year I stopped about 1/3 of way up Lemmon to avoid sleeping the cold. Even so I got there at 10 or 11pm at night and was up at dawn on day 3 to climb Lemmon. The 3 miles from the start of the Molino hike a a bike took me 4 hours at night. Also "down oracle ridge" is alot of walking.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  5. #5
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    your first goal for the 300 should simply be to finish. It is a brute of a ride and is no walk in the park. Very easy to go out too fast and blow up and never finish. The entire race trends downhill with parker canyon lake being higher elevation than the finish at picketpost, but that does not mean it is easy. There also extended hike a bikes that cut the average speed down. Plus there is the issue of water. Water is sparse on the trail and you need to know where your water is and how much you need to bring. It can be hot in the desert parts (95F) and below freezing at the top of Lemmon. Even in the same year. Last year I stopped about 1/3 of way up Lemmon to avoid sleeping the cold. Even so I got there at 10 or 11pm at night and was up at dawn on day 3 to climb Lemmon. The 3 miles from the start of the Molino hike a a bike took me 4 hours at night. Also "down oracle ridge" is alot of walking.
    I totally hear you. For some reason i swear i heard Neil say 28 hrs looking at the times from last year maybe he only made it 28hrs before he dnf. I had this thought of 28hrs in my head so i was like, i can do two huge days back to back and be done. I can ride 15hrs two days in a row with sleep, but not 3,4,5 days after all that brutality. I congratulate you on your effort big time. I would just blow up too fast, its not my forte of pacing myself.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  6. #6
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,265
    Just finishing would be an epic feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: montiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    My .02 from a beginner to the bikepacking world and cycling in general. I've been riding consistently since 2015 and last year I finished the 300. The goal was to do it in 4 days which was an attainable goal. Could I have rode it faster? Sure, but when you start pushing the pedals harder you also start taking more risks with your body, and your bike. To me, a lot of this race is risk management. Do I climb the next steep section or just get off my bike and HAB? Sometimes you have to do the lesser of two evils and that seemed to be a huge key to finishing. I was a little unlucky as my right IT Band decided to finish at Freeman Cache. The next 24 hours were complete hell. When things don't go as planned, that's when you really find out what you're made of. So my unsolicited advice would be just to finish. Best of luck on your 300 journey!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DualRollers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    432
    I am super interested in the 300... never knew this race existed until now. I will definitely be interested for 2019.

    I just have to ask, what's the deal with "walking your disassembled bike through the Grand Canyon"? Is that conservation rules or something? Your wheels can't even touch the ground it says.

  9. #9
    bikes don't have motors
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    I am super interested in the 300... never knew this race existed until now. I will definitely be interested for 2019.

    I just have to ask, what's the deal with "walking your disassembled bike through the Grand Canyon"? Is that conservation rules or something? Your wheels can't even touch the ground it says.



    Bicycles are not allowed below the rim in the GC per the National Park rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

  10. #10
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    I am super interested in the 300... never knew this race existed until now. I will definitely be interested for 2019.

    I just have to ask, what's the deal with "walking your disassembled bike through the Grand Canyon"? Is that conservation rules or something? Your wheels can't even touch the ground it says.
    Thats only on the 750

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2018, 06:51 AM
  2. (X-Post) Ride Report: Arizona Trail Race 750
    By schillingsworth in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 07:20 PM
  3. (X-Post) Ride Report: Arizona Trail Race 750
    By schillingsworth in forum Passion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 06:25 AM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM
  5. Arizona Trail Race on Trackleaders!! 300/750 starts April 19th.
    By schillingsworth in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Members who have read this thread: 45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.