mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Arizona Trail Race 300/750

Whos in on this race and who has done it? Im going to show up to blow up on the 300. Im not a bikepacker but i really love the Arizona trail and want to see what im made of. Trying to beat 30hrs.

Ill have ridden the whole 300 by then so know what im getting into. I want to try and ride it with 4hrs of sleep. Ride as far as i can, sleep 4, ride the rest.

Im curious do the fast guys make it to Lemmon, over lemmon, on the 1st "day". In relative terms other than mt lemmon the race profiles downhill a lot.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Whos in on this race and who has done it? Im going to show up to blow up on the 300. Im not a bikepacker but i really love the Arizona trail and want to see what im made of. Trying to beat 30hrs.
    Lane. You are not doing 30hrs.

Kurt's record is insanely fast at 45 hours.
    Kurt barely slept and carry all the food he needed for the event so no off course diversions.

Arizona Trail 300 Records
    Male Kurt Refsnider (2014) 1:21:07
    Female Eszter Horanyi (2013) 2:13:10

I did the 300 last year in a respectable 3 days 16hrs 47 minutes.

I was riding for 14-18 hrs per day.

Trackleaders has the times for 2017.

Arizona Trail Race 2017 live tracker by trackleaders.com

Also It took me about 36 hours from summerhaven (top of Lemmon) to the finish. This included 1 night stop. It trends downhill, but not easy riding.

My ride report from 2017 is here. Just go to "April 2017"

Joe's Biking Adventures and other Ramblings
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Lane. You are not doing 30hrs.

Kurt's record is insanely fast at 45 hours.
    Kurt barely slept and carry all the food he needed for the event so no off course diversions.

Arizona Trail 300 Records
    Male Kurt Refsnider (2014) 1:21:07
    Female Eszter Horanyi (2013) 2:13:10

I did the 300 last year in a respectable 3 days 16hrs 47 minutes.

I was riding for 14-18 hrs per day.

Trackleaders has the times for 2017.

Arizona Trail Race 2017 live tracker by trackleaders.com

Also It took me about 36 hours from summerhaven (top of Lemmon) to the finish. This included 1 night stop. It trends downhill, but not easy riding.

My ride report from 2017 is here. Just go to "April 2017"

Joe's Biking Adventures and other Ramblings
    Oh Neil told me the record was 28hrs i thought. I never looked it up.

Im definitely not breaking any record haha. I gotta go back and start over. I thought the record was 28 hrs i figured shoot for 30.

I am not riding for 4 days or whatever it would take. Cause im not carrying all that gear. I thought it was 28hrs and i would ride for about 17, sleep 4, then finish. Neil probably said just under 48hrs and i thought he said 28hrs.

mtbr member
    your first goal for the 300 should simply be to finish. It is a brute of a ride and is no walk in the park. Very easy to go out too fast and blow up and never finish. The entire race trends downhill with parker canyon lake being higher elevation than the finish at picketpost, but that does not mean it is easy. There also extended hike a bikes that cut the average speed down. Plus there is the issue of water. Water is sparse on the trail and you need to know where your water is and how much you need to bring. It can be hot in the desert parts (95F) and below freezing at the top of Lemmon. Even in the same year. Last year I stopped about 1/3 of way up Lemmon to avoid sleeping the cold. Even so I got there at 10 or 11pm at night and was up at dawn on day 3 to climb Lemmon. The 3 miles from the start of the Molino hike a a bike took me 4 hours at night. Also "down oracle ridge" is alot of walking.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    your first goal for the 300 should simply be to finish. It is a brute of a ride and is no walk in the park. Very easy to go out too fast and blow up and never finish. The entire race trends downhill with parker canyon lake being higher elevation than the finish at picketpost, but that does not mean it is easy. There also extended hike a bikes that cut the average speed down. Plus there is the issue of water. Water is sparse on the trail and you need to know where your water is and how much you need to bring. It can be hot in the desert parts (95F) and below freezing at the top of Lemmon. Even in the same year. Last year I stopped about 1/3 of way up Lemmon to avoid sleeping the cold. Even so I got there at 10 or 11pm at night and was up at dawn on day 3 to climb Lemmon. The 3 miles from the start of the Molino hike a a bike took me 4 hours at night. Also "down oracle ridge" is alot of walking.
    I totally hear you. For some reason i swear i heard Neil say 28 hrs looking at the times from last year maybe he only made it 28hrs before he dnf. I had this thought of 28hrs in my head so i was like, i can do two huge days back to back and be done. I can ride 15hrs two days in a row with sleep, but not 3,4,5 days after all that brutality. I congratulate you on your effort big time. I would just blow up too fast, its not my forte of pacing myself.

no batteries required
    Just finishing would be an epic feat.
    Nothing that's worth anything is ever easy - M. Hall