_
    Mar 2004

Anyone know the tork specs for carbon fiber bars?

I'm looking to mount my carbon fiber bars, but want to find out the proper specs for the tork i should be using first. Does anyone know the specs or where I can find them?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I crushed some carbon bars on a Race Face XC-115 stem a few months ago, using the torque spec's listed on the stem itself... as was instructed by thebar manufacturer themselves (I could find no torque spec's in the installation manual or on their website). The torque was around 75inlbs or something.. I forget. But it was up there, and although I doubted it, I cranked it up to about 60 before I heard the crunch.

I reported this to the bar manufacturer and they replaced the bars and THEN said to torque it up to about 35-40 inlbs. But they were very cool about it. They didn't give me any run around or anything and all in all it worked out in the end. I'm using the bars now, and lovin' 'em.

I still have my carbon seat post torqued at 70 inlbs, as is listed in the posts installation manual (60-75, I think?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Torque

Check out eastonsports.com, full information re torque reccomendations for carbon bars and posts. Beware that certain stems have very sharp edges that need to be smoothed out with 400 grit sandpaper, same thing on seatpost frame tubes. Also, four bolt stems exert way more force, so bolts must be torqued less on them. I run 35 inch/lbs per bolt on a four bolt stem, and less than 60 inch/lbs on a seatpost bolt with no problems.