Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anybody Use Camelbak Racebak? Wingnut Splitback?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mtn hack 
#1 ·
I was looking at the Camelbak Racebak earlier and it looks like it would be pretty good for endurance racing. I'm wanting to lose my pack but I just can't get used to getting all my hydration from bottles. I really like having the tube right there. I keep Heed in my bottle and drink it on a timed schedule. With the racebak, I'm thinking I could lost the pack and just go with a saddle bag or jersey pockets for tube, co2, tool, etc. The only issue I see is refilling it. It's basically impossible to refill by yourself without taking it off which would mean dumping the jersey first then that, way too much time. With somebody helping it might not be bad but I do most of my races without any support crew. I guess somebody at the aid stations could help me out but thats asking a lot. Has anybody used one? Thoughts? I'm also looking at the Wingnut Splitback. Anybody used that? Thoughts?

#2 ·
The race back seems way too impractical to refill and would be yet another layer of insulation. It's basically a pack that doesn't carry much and is really hard to take off.

The thing I hate about packs the most is the sweaty back effect. On a bike, wind over your back is a major cooling plus and a pack eliminates that. I've found two mesh back panel packs that greatly reduce that issue.

Deuter Race Air X - This also has a really easy to fill bladder, no screw top, but a fold and lock. You can often find it relatively cheap at Bonktown and similar places.

Osprey Manta - Detail overkill and pricy, but oh so useful as a general purpose day pack.

Both have a weight penalty for the sprung mesh frame, but IMHO both are well worth it in hot weather.

#4 ·
buy more than one and you won't have to refill. Still a pain to swap.

play with a water bottle or platypus bladder with a tube in your jersey pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.