Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Anybody riding the Easton EC90 29er carbon wheelset for racing

I can pick up some for 1.5k new. I have DT 350 with i19 Frequency rims. I don't know if they would make a big difference of just cost me a lot of money.

Your thought?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I can pick up some for 1.5k new. I have DT 350 with i19 Frequency rims. I don't know if they would make a big difference of just cost me a lot of money.

Your thought?
    Save your money. I have a set on my race bike that I only ride a 1/4 of the time that I ride my training bike. Training bike has I9 on stan arch and is trouble free. EC90 rear only lasted a year and a half and carbon rim split in two on my way to a race. Easton will not warranty because I bought them new on ebay from a non authorized Easton dealer.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I was thinking of picking up some Mavic SLR 29er wheels for racing; however, the DT 350 Frequency is probably all the wheels I need. I hear Easton support sucks! Thanks for your input.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by richiepolis View Post
    Save your money. I have a set on my race bike that I only ride a 1/4 of the time that I ride my training bike. Training bike has I9 on stan arch and is trouble free. EC90 rear only lasted a year and a half and carbon rim split in two on my way to a race. Easton will not warranty because I bought them new on ebay from a non authorized Easton dealer.
    On the way to a race? Like while on your car? Crazy!
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    On the way to a race? Like while on your car? Crazy!
    Yes! Put it on my bike rack, all ok. 2 hours later, when i got there the rim was split in half. CRAZY Lucky I brought my training bike also, and was able to swap wheels. Only good thing from it was that it did not happen during my 12 solo race.

Trail Ninja
    Is there any chance that your bike rack lets your bike rim hang down close to the car exhaust?

The EC90 only having 30 pt of engagement is a big turn off to those spoiled by more. Shimano and DT have 36 these days. C29Max SLR has 48. At least it isn't as bad as American Classic @ 24.

Talk of Easton XC wheels always makes me think of this spectacular pic (http://i.imgur.com/ootvgT4.png). This rider was just too bad ass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Is there any chance that your bike rack lets your bike rim hang down close to the car exhaust?

The EC90 only having 30 pt of engagement is a big turn off to those spoiled by more. Shimano and DT have 36 these days. C29Max SLR has 48. At least it isn't as bad as American Classic @ 24.

Talk of Easton XC wheels always makes me think of this spectacular pic (http://i.imgur.com/ootvgT4.png). This rider was just too bad ass.
    It was on the back of my motorhome. Not near the exhaust. I have came across 2 other posts with the same failure. Their rims just have issues. Plan to go back to alum.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Thanks, guys! You just saved me a bunch of money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Roval Control Carbon 29 at $1,200 MSRP. Probably a bit cheaper with a bit of shopping.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    They look great! I trust DT 350 internals a lot more than Easton or Mavic hubs. I do wish they were a true UST system. My team price would probably be 20% off. Thanks for the tip.

mtbr member
    I've been racing on my EC90 wheels for two years now. I've done the PCP2P twice and several 50 milers. They have been durable with no problems and still even look great. I've replaced the bearings in the rear hub once, and that is the only maintenance I've had to do. These are ridiculously light and very strong wheels. I think that Easton really knows what they are doing with carbon. Every carbon part will have a story of failure, its the nature of the material. But overall Easton has a high quality control process. Buy from an authorized dealer as always, and enjoy the best wheelset out there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Stans wheels. Enough said.

mtbr member
    I've been running the Mavic SLR on my Moots for a season. My second pair on this frame. I get about 3seasons of hard use before the hubs start to fail, and don't seem to be able to rebuild them with new bearings and get good performance, but I feel 3seasons is a good time for such a part to last. I tried Stan's, but couldn't get a season out of their ZTRs rims. Too light, I would always get a small spot out of true, and when attempting to re-true it, would cause it to go out of round, and the rim would never come back true and round. I also felt the Stan's setup for tubeless (tape)is inferior to Mavics welded aluminum. Nothing irritates me more than getting a flat cause the tape shifts on the rim and causes a leak.
    Can't seem to justify the expense of carbon rims when the weight saving is soo small, and the price jump is soo large.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I may just run the current wheelset that came on my bike: DT 350 and WTB I9 rims. Not the lightest but bombproof and made for tubeless conversion.

mtbr member
    My EC90s are almost a pound lighter than my Stan's Arch EX wheels. When you are talking about rotational weight, that is a big deal! Granted, the price is high, so they are definitely for those that are serious about racing and have the dough, and are trying to build a serious race machine. The Stan's Crest wheels are for lightweight dudes, I've seen quite a few of these get bent by guys that are too heavy or trying to do too much with them.

mtbr member
    I ride on the Haven Carbon 29s. They are a little heavier but take alot of abuse. The only issue I've had was flaw in the bearing assembly on the rear hub, they rebuilt for free.