bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

anybody ever run flat pedals for cross country racing

and like it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, I used to ride platforms and I had many races. I sure enjoyed it as it was the only way I had ridden. Now I got used to clips and racing is still the same. Well, if you ask me, racing is not enjoyable, it's full of pain but the joy is afterwards when you comlete the race

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, in 1989.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes....
    A few years ago was my first season racing and I'd never rode clipless before. In one technical marathon xc race flats were, in my opinion at the time a huge benefit because there were many uphill slick hike a bike sections, I would shoulder my bike and run past people slipping all over the place in their tap shoes. There were also some pretty techy spots and I was happy to be on flats.

I managed to finish my first ever 100 miler, the cascade cream puff as well that season on my old '93 GT platforms, one of the sweeps passed me and said 'whoa flat pedals, gnarly'. I knew things had to change if I wanted to continue to 'race'.

I run clipless DX's now and won't go back. I can skitter down all the same trails I could before and the climbing benefit is too great to give up.

I still ride them depending on the bike. Would I race marathons on flats again though? probably not, just like I wouldn't race in baggies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm doing a 6 hr enduro mtbike race tomorrow and I will be on flats. Switched to flats a couple of years ago and can't really see myself going back to clips. My riding partner never tried clips and he climbs like a goat on his flats. It is a different technique but once you get it down I find it way more fun. Oh yeah, 5.10 shoes are a must. Lots of good info on clips vs flats over at bikejames.com.

Good luck with what ever you choose,
    Cheers
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I raced Suntour Beartrap pedals in the mid eighties without toe straps. Then I got straps and it was a great improvement. Then I got clipless pedals and that was a great improvement.

So I guess you can say I enjoyed to racing I did back in the eighties using flats, but like I wouldn't go back to bull moose handlebars or fully ridged, I don't see any reason to go back to flats.

is buachail foighneach me
    I rode flat pedals for a long time, including xc racing, 24 hr racing and touring/bikepacking. Threw on some powergrips for a 24 solo in 2005, and was really impressed at being able to utilize the upstroke a lot more. Switched to clipless for the next 24 solo, and was even more impressed with the stiffness of the shoes and the ease of getting in and out. I felt clipless was definitely quicker and more efficient than flats for the majority of courses. Been doing a lot of winter racing(in AK) the last few years, and have been going back and forth between clipless and flats. Different environment, different kind of riding.

I did, and still do like riding just as much with flats and running shoes or hiking boots as I do with clipless and carbon soled cycling shoes. It's just a matter of clipless being noticeably more efficient when on the bike.