• 10-05-2012
    Jaybo
    Any of you cling to a triple crankset?
    I know the move is to a 2 chainring and I raced a SLX 2 by 9 last race season; however, I found on the long gravel roads I spun out at times and a 32 middle would be nice on moderate climbs. I have a XTR 980 crankst and I'm considering running a 3 by 9 next race season.

Anybody sticking to a triple?

Thx,

Jay
  • 10-05-2012
    AZ
    Yep. Ran 2x9 for 2 years and was tired of spinning out a 36 so went back to 3x9 since I had the parts.
  • 10-05-2012
    used2Bhard
    I haven't had any issue spinning out and I tend to push a pretty big gear. I thought is would be an issue, but haven't had an issue in the past 2+ yrs. what rings were you using?
  • 10-05-2012
    Jaybo
    36/22
  • 10-05-2012
    ACree
    Yep. I used a 2 x for two races early this year, but went back to three after that. I was using 27/39 with an 11/34 9 speed cogset on a 650b bike. For me, its not quite as low as I'd like for climbing, and I'd like just a bit more for the really fast places. I like the smaller big ring in general but miss the 32 middle ring, and find that I end up shifting even more than with three rings. I'll try it again with a 36 tooth cog and see if it makes enough difference. Just got back from co where I had a rental 29er with an xt double, and definitely wasn't low enough for me to be climbing sustained Singletrack at 10k plus.
  • 10-06-2012
    crimecrusher
    I run a 2x10 and love it over my 3x9. However, while traing for a 24 solo I'm going to miss my 3x9 granny gears for spinning climbs. I did however switch from a 24/38 to a 22/36 and that seems to be the best choice. We'll see after the 24 if I'll really miss the 3x9.
  • 10-06-2012
    pcoady
    triple
    Originally the lack of grip shift held me back - otherwise I probably would have switched. But being forced to sidelines gave me time to realize I really have zero complaints about 3 ring setup. Talking to friends that switched, they generally like 2x10, but always mention missing having a huge gear and a granny. But they never seem to tell me what they like more about their 2x10.

So, for now, I'm sticking with it. Nice that the casettes are way cheaper too.
  • 10-06-2012
    zrm
    I'v stuck with a triple for a couple reasons: 1, a whole new drivetrain, especially one of comparable quality to my XTR is freaking expensive. Hard to justify dropping a grand plus to replace something that works just fine. 2. Although I don't use my granny or top gear that much, I really like having them when I do. (I live in a place with lots of long steep climbs and some of our double track roads and even single track are really fast)

I certainly understand the touted benefits of a double crankset, but I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend my money on. When it comes time for a new bike I'll give a double more consideration. In fact with the builds most bikes come with these days, like 29" wheels, I might not have a choice.
  • 10-06-2012
    sbsbiker
    I was reluctant to drop the 3x9, but went to a xtr 2x10 this summer and love it. Better use of the corset, in both rings and less of the dropped momentum when you shift from ring to ring. I live and race in CO, and have not noticed the lack of low gearing, but do spin out going down some of our paved, and dirt passes. But I'll take an occasional spin out on roads for the simplicity and smooth shifting I gained.
  • 10-06-2012
    kosmo
    I generally do fine with 2 x 10 in 24/38. But it sort of defines the old saying of "An answer to a problem I didn't know I had".

One thing that is seldom or never discussed is that the effective high end of a double is pretty limited, since pedaling in the 11t rear cog is very inefficient if you are putting any oomph into it.

Where I live and ride, it is mostly either notably up or down, so it is very rare to need to pedal hard in higher gears. You are more likely to be feathering the brakes!
  • 10-06-2012
    used2Bhard
    I run 39/24 on a 29'er so that might be it.
  • 10-06-2012
    used2Bhard
    I can walk the same speed as i ride the 24/36, so if it gets too steep for my easiest gear I'm better off walking anyway. Less effort...and stretches my lower back and legs.
  • 10-06-2012
    El Train
    tried 42/28 on the x9s that came on my bike, but found it too high. put the 3x on this year and loved it. 22 x 36 for the really steep stuff. Awesome. i weigh 200 though so that may make me biased. now I am pissed cuz I can't figure out a use for the x9 double cranks. stupid bolt circle.
  • 10-06-2012
    zrm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by used2Bhard View Post
    I can walk the same speed as i ride the 24/36, so if it gets too steep for my easiest gear I'm better off walking anyway. Less effort...and stretches my lower back and legs.

I hate pushing my bike, especially in bike shoes. (but I have a bum leg/foot which makes that sort of thing awkward) One of the reasons I've never really wanted to make SS a priority is 1. All the walking, and 2. Spinning out just when it's time to go really fast.

To each their own though. Variety makes the world go 'round
  • 10-06-2012
    coyotegulch
    I have always run 3x9 and spent the last year contemplating 3x10 or 2x10 for my new Jet RDO. I am 48 yo, live in CO, and my knees are pretty shot so I opted for the 3x10 for the spin factor. I rode it on two hundos this year and it has been great for me based on my circumstances. Now I need to decide if I want to switch my HT 29er from 3x9...
  • 10-06-2012
    mitzikatzi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    ..snip..I am pissed cuz I can't figure out a use for the x9 double cranks. stupid bolt circle.

Can't you remove the spider, fit a custom chain ring and turn it into a nice single speed crank set?
  • 10-07-2012
    6thElement
    I stll like my 3x for the long races.

32/33 middle up front is great for most of my ride/race. But then I have the 22 for long steep sections when I need to drop down from the middle ring. Then I still have the 44 for road sections.
  • 10-08-2012
    bbense
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kosmo View Post

One thing that is seldom or never discussed is that the effective high end of a double is pretty limited, since pedaling in the 11t rear cog is very inefficient if you are putting any oomph into it.

I think a triple makes a lot of sense if the gear ranges in the back were not so wide. Most
    "standard" gearing only really gives you 14 "different" gears out of a total of 27 or 30 possible.

On an 11/34 cogset, having a 44 or 42 only gives you two gears higher than 32/11.

I much prefer a 14-34 or 14-32 cogset with a triple up front, but you can't buy those off the shelf. And I'm not sure you can do it all with 10spd.

I recently got a bike with a double/bash guard up front and I have to say with the standard 11/34 cogset, I prefer a double. Doubles do make the up front shifting more reliable and just seem more solid. Climb in the small ring, leave it on the big ring for everything else.

Not sure the current gears on dedicated doubles would work for me though. I think 36/22 would be my prefered choice, currently running 32/22 and the jumps on the top 3 or 4 gears are more than I really like. ( The smaller the front ring, the bigger the jump between
    gears. )
  • 10-08-2012
    AKamp
    I used to love my Microdrive 2x8 back in the mid 90's. 32/42 up front and 11/28 in the back. It worked great when I was strong enough to push it up climbs, hell during most races back then I rarely got out of the 42. I still spend plenty of time in the 44 on my triple now, I couldn't imagine only having a 38.
  • 10-08-2012
    TomP
    No trouble with Triples
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    ... Anybody sticking to a triple?

Not only am I sticking with my triple, I'm not even shopping for a Fat Bike. Or a crabon fibre wheelset. And I've never even owned a fixie!

I know, call me crazy. Got my head buried deep in the sand.
  • 10-08-2012
    Circusjunk
    I Am sticking with my triple, that big ring comes in handy every now and again
  • 10-08-2012
    Jaybo
    I was thinking of going 24-32-42 on my XTR 9 speed with a 11-34 in back. I'm thinking I could use the 24 only in the steepest climbs, use the 32 for mellow climbs, and the 42 on dirt roads and mellow downhills. I know you have more of a chance for cross chaining and chain drop at times.
  • 10-08-2012
    kosmo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I was thinking of going 24-32-42 on my XTR 9 speed with a 11-34 in back. I'm thinking I could use the 24 only in the steepest climbs, use the 32 for mellow climbs, and the 42 on dirt roads and mellow downhills. I know you have more of a chance for cross chaining and chain drop at times.

Oh yeah, but that approach will ONLY work for a 650B bike.

Absolutely unworkable for either a 26er or 29er. ;)
  • 10-09-2012
    Jaybo
    :)
    Quote:

I'm interested in those crazy 650B bikes. Rocky iand Scott are making some very cool looking bikes. Off to Bend for the Fat Tire Tour. Hoping the Cascades do their job and hold out the rain!
  • 10-09-2012
    Circusjunk
    Quote:

I dissagree , please explain why you say that