mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Aide station use?

So I'm doing my first point to point endurance race and I'm not really sure how to best use the aide stations. Should I carry everything I need and just see the aide stations as bonus? Do I leave drop bags and hope they get to where they're supposed to? Or, do I carry my drink powder and food, but plan on available water?
    thanks,
    Zach

mtbr member
    My bags have always appeared where they said they would be so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Many races will tell you what will be at the aid station as far as food and hydration are concerned. Unless you have a specific nutrition plan (I do) you could just eat what's there.
    I see no reason to carry everything...but then again it depends on how few and far between the aid stations are.

Just did the Laramie Enduro (70 miles) yesterday. Aid stations appear at miles 15, 30 40, 50, 60 (finish is at 70). Drop bags are at aid 3 (40 mi). I use my own food and drink mix that works well for me, so I took enough food to get to my drop bag, 2 full bottles on the bike, and extra drink mix (Skratch Labs) to refill at the aid stations #1 & #2. This worked perfect for me as turnover at each only lasted 1-2 minutes. The alternative woul dbe to bring a larger bladder and skip the refilling of the bottles at the aid stations. Personally I don't like to carry a pack. The turnover was super quick so this didn't slow me down.