mtbr member

Absa Cape Epic - Teams and Outcast Riders

I love this race, it is on the bucket list. I have followed it for the past several years. I get that the vast majority of the competitors are amateurs in it for the experience and therefore there is some added security and safety for requiring that it be raced as a 2-person team. But I wonder how many of the pros who target this race feel like it should be an event for individual placing? Are there any other big time stage races that must be raced as a team?

Alban Lakata is a marathon MTB badass. But he's hosed for the Cape Epic 2013 because his team mate had to withdraw due to injury. So Alban's racing in an Outcast Jersey. So he can start with the other pros and race with them, although he can't really interact/aid them in the form of drafting or mechanical assistance. So he's basically along for the ride. I don't even know if they keep track of his times. Seems like a shame and to be honest a bit of an insult to a World Champion.
    Alban the Outcast

Anyways, just some thoughts.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    I love this race, it is on the bucket list. I have followed it for the past several years. I get that the vast majority of the competitors are amateurs in it for the experience and therefore there is some added security and safety for requiring that it be raced as a 2-person team. But I wonder how many of the pros who target this race feel like it should be an event for individual placing? Are there any other big time stage races that must be raced as a team?

Alban Lakata is a marathon MTB badass. But he's hosed for the Cape Epic 2013 because his team mate had to withdraw due to injury. So Alban's racing in an Outcast Jersey. So he can start with the other pros and race with them, although he can't really interact/aid them in the form of drafting or mechanical assistance. So he's basically along for the ride. I don't even know if they keep track of his times. Seems like a shame and to be honest a bit of an insult to a World Champion.
    Alban the Outcast

Anyways, just some thoughts.

Yip - picture of him in his outcast jersey, tough as nails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Absa Cape Epic - Teams and Outcast Riders-post-13140-0-59962600-1363695998.jpg  

South Africa - Home to the worlds greatest MTB stage race - Cape Epic.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cannondale Factory Racing at the completion of Stage 2 !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Absa Cape Epic - Teams and Outcast Riders-post-4006-1363706752534.jpg  

South Africa - Home to the worlds greatest MTB stage race - Cape Epic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_S_Africa View Post
    Cannondale Factory Racing at the completion of Stage 2 !!
    Yeah, those two are my favorite MTB pros these days.
    Great little sorry on how Alban's team mate was injured. Another antelope attack!
    Video: Antelope Takes Out Cyclist – Again! | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    They had on tv the 2012 race it seems to be very Hard

All the stages are over 100 kms

Bicycle Addict
    Subscribed! I love this race too. I've been following it on their YouTube channel. Pulling for the songo/Burry team.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing