Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

8th* Annual Colorado Plateau Snipe Hunt

The snipes were particularly elusive this year. Below are the total elapsed times it took for some folks to find the snipe. Please note, due to the wily nature of the snipe and understandable excitement, there were various start times and locations. We've tried to figure that accordingly, but I ain't good at math.

Cheers,

J. Prometheus Birdsong

1: Mr. Oscar Meyer Wiener 1245
    2: Jesse "the Redcoats are coming" from Canada 1317
    3: Brian 1403
    4: Kenny with the sandwich 1504
    5: Ironwoman 1506
    6: J-Stubbe 1509
    7: Chris 1521
    8: Jeremy 1630
    9: Chewbacca 1646
    10: The Gum Chewer 1725
    11: Steve 1727
    12: Mark the sailor 1738
    13: Arctic Man 1744
    14: Chicken Legs Welch 1755
    : Kevin the Chain-breaker 1755
    : Eric 1755
    17: Don 1821
    18: Cat "Squeaky" Power 1829
    19: Jeff 1831
    20: Matt 1839
    21: Veeze "$" 1848
    22: Trevor 1849
    23: Frank 1924
    24: Keith 1945
    25: Walter Mitty 2004
    : "Mitch" Walker, Texas Ranger 2004
    27: Fatty 2016
    28: Joel 2022
    29: El Bandito 2047
    : Derek 2047
    : Fred 2047
    : The Other Dave 2047
    33: Jesper 2154
    34: "Cisco" 2230
    35: Jen ROCKS! 2255
    36: Cap'n Epic 2329
    37: Garrison Keilor 2405

* Or something, like that.
    Last edited by ionsmuse; 05-22-2007 at 10:09 AM.

I'm from Utah

Snipes

Very cryptic. I had fun trying to figure out who everyone is. Didn't have much luck. To whoever that Oscar Meyer Weiner sniper is: amazing. I think I have a guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Found my Snipe on an SS!

Thanks for posting the list. Please note that Jen (me) found her Snipe on an SS, making her the first female to find her Snipe on a SS in 24 hours! I feel prety darn proud of that, so I want it to be known.

Also, Jesper found his Snipe on a rigid SS and I believe Cisco was on an SS as well. Quite a few of the earlier Snipe hunters were also on SS. If you know who was SS, perhaps you could update the list and note it when you have time. Thanks!
    Last edited by IttyBittyBetty; 05-21-2007 at 07:04 AM.

the cool nerd
    Congrats to all that found their snipe!! This time, the snipe kicked my a$$, but I will get it next time

scott
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

The Wheel's Turning

ouch!

The snipe almost ate me whole. Great times though! The spirits were watching my back for sure...
    "Mitch" Walker Texas Ranger _ cause I did a lot of Walkin'
    Chance favors those in motion...

Damn those snipe are hard to find!

Great fun and awesome to meet all of you out there hunting.

Special props to K w/ the Sandwich - awesome ride my man! I'll never forget how you looked, as you asked me if I had started hunting at noon - priceless

And here's to IttyB for killing it and being the first female ss'er to find ssnipe in that area another big

See you all at the next snipe hunt!

The Gum Chewer

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    I hear there were many struggling to find all those 9000+ snipes in the afternoon and some who looked in vain for a while at watering holes before continuing on the search
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Quote Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    Thanks for posting the list. Please note that Jen (me) found her Snipe on an SS, making her the first female to find her Snipe on a SS in 24 hours! I feel prety darn proud of that, so I want it to be known.

Also, Jesper found his Snipe on a rigid SS and I believe Cisco was on an SS as well. Quite a few of the earlier Snipe hunters were also on SS. If you know who was SS, perhaps you could update the list and note it when you have time. Thanks!
    Indeed, and you are definitely at least 20% cooler for doing so. The only reason I left that notation off was that I was not convinced we had a complete cool people list, and being one myself it seemed excessively self-serving.

It occured to me that the snipe had become submersible, but that turned out to not be the case. I also made sure the little bastard wasn't hiding in any of the chip-seal cracks. Again, no dice.

Grizzly
    I thought I had would find a snipe at a creek crossing. It was such a good place to find one, so I waited there quietly for well over an hour trying to catch one in its natural habitat. When none came I decided to seek higher ground in hopes to catch a glimpse of the elusive critter. It is very well possible that one passed by the creek, and I missed it while I napped in the cool shade and sand.

Eventually I found one, just before dark, and nearly at my wits end. In fact, those with me would argue that I was well beyond the end of my wits.

I am glad so many people had a chance to hunt snipes. We chose an area where they are very wily and sparse, so seeing them at all is almost as hard as catching one.

Congrats to all the hunters!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It seemed like everybody had gone home to cook up there snipe by the time I found mine. It took me 23hrs and 29mins. Dave Allen (sp?) from Minnesota was close behind me at the top of Sand Flats Rd and hot on the trail of his snipe, but it probably took him a bit longer without a good light.

Had a great time everybody,

Alan Doak

mtbr member
    The Oscar Meyer Weiner sniper has won at least one World Cup in the past. He has also won a 100 miler in Colorado the last few years.

mtbr member
    May 2005

comparo

anyone care to discuss differences in course direction? speed? difficulty? if organization goes forward in future years, is alternating direction annually a good idea?

pics look nice. greener this year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I like the idea of alternating, but the Slick Rock trailhead is much better suited to a large group start.... there's plenty of room on Sand Flats road to jockey for position.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    anyone care to discuss differences in course direction? speed? difficulty? if organization goes forward in future years, is alternating direction annually a good idea?
    The consensus seemed to be that it was harder east-west, though the thought of dealing with afternoon heat down low is not appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    I think the course direction makes a huge difference strategy-wise; water, food, heat, energy expenditure, pace, etc. It is almost impossible for me to say which direction is more difficult as they both have significant challenges. Climb early and bake later or climb later and bake slightly less later

I came in fifteen minutes faster this year vs. last year but my strategy also changed so comparing the two is tough. I felt better at the end this year despite my gut feeling that it was harder overall.

I like the idea of alternating the direction.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 05-21-2007 at 02:02 PM.

Really I am that slow
    When snipes attack! Glad too see everyone! congrats to all who found their snipe without it attacking
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think I was the sweeper/last place finisher, finding my snipe in 2405. Slept for 3 hours then started the trek back to Minnesoooota. Had a great time and will be back for another hunt.

Cheers,

Another Dave (Allen, from MN).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Trail 717

Where are you? I saw you going after your Snipe before somewhere before Dewey and then no more. I hope you are OK. Plesae let me know to ease my mind.

And the woman who I saw a bit riding behind Cisco. I assume she gave up on her Snipe safely.

Gosh, I hate to be a worry-wort.....

frejwilk

Snipe Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    I hear there were many struggling to find all those 9000+ snipes in the afternoon and some who looked in vain for a while at watering holes before continuing on the search

Alas, some of us did make the unwise use of time fishing for the snipe. I was pretty sure it might work, especially as others appeared to be following this path. When it became clear that no snipe were 'hiding out' at one creek, our small group of snipe fishermen moved from creek to creek in our quest. I can't be certain, but it does appear that the snipe is strictly a land creature!

FW

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    I chased my snipe fast all day and was sooo happy to be feeling that good

My times W-E 15:03 and E-W 15:06 are tight. I think in this time frame the course is 45 minutes faster W-E. The tailwind we had this year blew us down to Dewey and sped everything up. However the water and heat management is much harder W-E. If you are moving slowly I think it is harder to finish W-E.

Semper Ardens
    When you come to a rock, ride over it!

Feeding your addiction

Wow! Truly amazing. Congrats. Everything go o.k. with Jesper riding on the new rig?

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Semper Ardens
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Wow! Truly amazing. Congrats. Everything go o.k. with Jesper riding on the new rig?
    The wheels were great and the new rig was pure joy to ride. Thanks so much for getting the wheels done in time!

I could have used a different gear once I hit the La Sals though
    When you come to a rock, ride over it!

mtbr member

Elusive, Frustrating, Snipe Hunting

Where are you? I saw you going after your Snipe before somewhere before Dewey and then no more. I hope you are OK. Plesae let me know to ease my mind.

And the woman who I saw a bit riding behind Cisco. I assume she gave up on her Snipe safely.

Gosh, I hate to be a worry-wort.....
    IttyBittyBetty
    1st let me say Congratulations on finding your SS SNIPE this year!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2nd thanks for asking about my snipe, unfortunately mine is still on the loose

Just before we passed for the last time I started to unexpectedly lose track of my snipe, just before Cisco Landing. Stoped at Cisco Landing to look, then slowed way down and kept looking as best I could and rolled across Dewey at 10:15 hrs. Per my pre ride hunting plan looked for my snipe in the cold Colo River, not there. Then looked in the shade at Dewey for an hour, still no snipe. Even knowing better I started looking for my @#% snipe up the 1st climb, I could see some cool clouds up high and for a while was sure my snipe was hiding (and laughing at me) up there. However I completely lost track of my snipe on that 1st climb. Turned around and started down the pave to Moab with the absolutely most frustrating taste “ever” in my mouth.

I know my snipe it still out there, just waiting, laughing, almost taunting me. So the tentative hunting plan is to promptly go solo snipe tracking, with a more favorable 7pm start
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

mtbr member
    May 2007

Found camelbak at Slickrock after snipe hunt!

Someone has got to be missing this, it's full of goodies!!! We really want to get it back to whomever it belongs. Anybody?!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast