mtbr member
    Jun 2009

6 Weeks Away and Not Ready for P2P

I signed up for the Park City Point to Point which is run over the Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately my training is not on schedule. Right now I can handle a 4 hour ride with big hills and altitude, but after 4 hours I start to fade and it is a struggle to keep turning the cranks and isn't much fun.

Generally the most I can ride during the week is between 1-2 hours a day. On weekends I can get out for a couple of hours on one day and then go long on another day. However I can not really train the next two weekends, leaving me 4 weekends in advance of the race to train.

With my current level of fitness I imagine I could make the cut-offs and finish the race. I am sure it would be a miserable experience and would take a couple of weeks to recover. I would rather sell my entry than do that. I am having a hard time coming up with a training strategy that gets me anywhere close to ready for the race and am looking for suggestions. If it can't be done in such a short time window I would like to know so I can just pull the plug. Thanks.

Your Best Friend
    This is a very hard race/ride if you are prepared. If you are having doubts, sell your entry or HTFU. You could probably go the distance but it'll hurt for sure. I'd say do it and enjoy the experience and one less race on the bucket list.

mtbr member
    I vote that you do it brother, just pick a sustainable pace and just have a good time. I doubt that you'll have any regrets that you did it. Good luck!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Last Sunday I raced the Breck-68 (70 miles 8.5k climbing). Before Sunday the longest I'd ever ridden my mtb in my life was 45 miles.

My mate who is way fitter than me and has beaten me in every single race DNF'ed due to bad fueling and going out too fast.

I wasn't too bothered about times. I just went out for the fun of it. Took little breaks to eat. Got chatting to a bunch of different guys during the race; some experienced, some 50+ mile virgins like myself.

All in all one of the most memorable days I've ever had on a bike and can't wait for next year....

Do it

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey,
    If you decide not to do it, I want your spot! I've been trying to get in since it closed. I'll pay all fees and for the transfer. Shoot me an e-mail Brett (at) swimaway (dot) net

Quote Originally Posted by UserNameTaken View Post
    I signed up for the Park City Point to Point which is run over the Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately my training is not on schedule. Right now I can handle a 4 hour ride with big hills and altitude, but after 4 hours I start to fade and it is a struggle to keep turning the cranks and isn't much fun.

Generally the most I can ride during the week is between 1-2 hours a day. On weekends I can get out for a couple of hours on one day and then go long on another day. However I can not really train the next two weekends, leaving me 4 weekends in advance of the race to train.

With my current level of fitness I imagine I could make the cut-offs and finish the race. I am sure it would be a miserable experience and would take a couple of weeks to recover. I would rather sell my entry than do that. I am having a hard time coming up with a training strategy that gets me anywhere close to ready for the race and am looking for suggestions. If it can't be done in such a short time window I would like to know so I can just pull the plug. Thanks.