mtbr member
    Mar 2012

6 hours of halloween

I just committed my self to the 6 hours of Halloween in Santa Ynez on Oct 25. This gives me just over 2 months to get myself ready. I'm in decent enough shape but my rides and races rarely go over 2 1/2 hours. I know I need to increase my ride time but what else should I focus on. I have no illusions of winning this but I also want to do well. Any advice?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I plan on doing that too! I ride a lot on the road so 6 hours on the bike is not unusual for me on a Saturday. Do some long road rides if you have a road bike. Or, go out and spend half a day just riding the mtb around where you live.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Re: 6 hours of halloween

Couple years ago my goal was to do a 6 hour race without stopping. Couple weeks ago I did the Wilderness 101 on a singlespeed and hit my goal of finishing in the daylight (12.5 hrs). In my experience (just wanting to finish and have a good time) it is 50% mental 50% physical. The easiest way to hit both is to go for 6+ hour rides. Get used to what that feels like before you even worry about speed and other variables. Remember to practice nutrition. You need to figure out how much food & water to take in, how often, and recognize a bonk coming on. Under no circumstance do you try anything new during a race, even if they are Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies of which you have fond childhood memories. Trust me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Can someone tell me some logistics of this race? How does the timing work? I understand we have to check in on each lap. How do we do that? Doesn't that slow us down? How big is the pit area for crew members? Lots of questions for someone who has done this race.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RDU Goldfish View Post
    Couple years ago my goal was to do a 6 hour race without stopping. Couple weeks ago I did the Wilderness 101 on a singlespeed and hit my goal of finishing in the daylight (12.5 hrs). In my experience (just wanting to finish and have a good time) it is 50% mental 50% physical. The easiest way to hit both is to go for 6+ hour rides. Get used to what that feels like before you even worry about speed and other variables. Remember to practice nutrition. You need to figure out how much food & water to take in, how often, and recognize a bonk coming on. Under no circumstance do you try anything new during a race, even if they are Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies of which you have fond childhood memories. Trust me.
    nice work on a SS at the W101. personally i think you arent right in the head for doing it on a SS, and please don't tell me it was rigid. that course is so rough. but nice work either way! haha