mtbr member
    Feb 2010

24HR Endurance Recovery

Hey Guys.
    Just wanting to gauge how long it takes most people to recover from a solid 24hr race, with around 20hrs+ ride time.

Reason I ask is I want to do a 24 solo, but don't want it to effect me long term (2 or so months) negatively for XCO racing. Is it possible to loose fitness (after having recovered from the 24)?

I have done a 8hr endurance race and that took me ~2 weeks until I felt A1 racing again, but that was a year ago, and with around 2yrs of regular (6day weeks) training now and some better preparation hopefully I can nail that.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've raced 5 24hr solos. Each of which involved at least 21 hrs of racing. A couple were just over 24 hrs of riding time. The recovery time is quite variable I have found. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 1 month. Much of it depends on time of the year, or rather the time of the race season. I've found that earlier season 24's are easier to recover from. It's probably due to the fact that the body isn't already blown from a full endurance season. A late season 24 hr can be hard to recover from. Soon thereafter, the weather gets shitty, the pounds pack on, and before you know it you are eating ice cream on the sofa, wiping tears from your eyes while you watch reruns of Full House. Kiss your fitness goodbye.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't know if its normal but I feel great the next day after a solo 24 as far as my body is conserned, it just feels like my batteries are a little low. I always take the Monday after a race off of work so I can get some extra sleep and food through the day then back to the normal grind on Tuesday. As far a training I never do any to begin with so I can't say how long it takes to get back into it, but I've done 100mile road centries with very fast freinds the following week and never felt like I was still tired or anything.

Compared to running a 100mile ultra a 24hr Mtb race is easy on the body so maybe my references are a bit unusual.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks guys. Anyone else?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What I've found with endurance events is that the more of them you do (with proper recovery in between) the quicker you then recover after.

I'm doing my first endurance MTB event in 2 weeks, but my first 100 mile road ride took me 3-5 days to recover from. My second one (4 weeks later) took me about 8 hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Took me a week.I didn't even want to look at my bike for that week.