Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Donkey- I understand the point. Mine is, if you don't like something, don't do it. But don't try to ruin it for everyone else who does like it.
    To use your analogy, if I don't like a restaurant, I simply don't eat there. I don't go off on websites trying to convince everyone else out there that said restaurant is a product of the Devil.
    There are people out there who don't like Ruby Tuesday, or Applebee's, or Friday's...
    Then don't eat there...
    It's simple...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I agree with you to some extent drt... but honestly if a restaurant or other business really screwed you over or someone you know, you'd share the story with those of like interests when and where the timing is right. This is a MTB forum - it's only natural that this be the place someone would voice his/her discust/praise over something that went right or wrong.

visit any other forum and you'll see that the same occurs - people praise their LBS when they go out of there way - they bash it when they feel screwed over. Same goes for any of the manufacturers - visit the specific forums and you'll see that this is no different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    We led the 4 person open for awhile but faded after dark as we experienced some fatigue and gastrointestinal related problems. We all still had fun though. To bad the promoter's gotta be an a$$.
    Darkwing, what team were you riding for?

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    Darkwing, what team were you riding for?

#240 NTMBA-1 (Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association)
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Pain-meister!
    Feb 2004

An interesting but LENGTHY read

And I am fascinated with what others are reporting. Back in the 90's when Laird had his first psychotic break and invented this sport, he brought a little video of it down to the Knobscorcher...mind boggling concept...not that I would EVER do such an event like that! I enjoyed reading about the goings-on in Canaan, and was sad when they lost the venue.

Along the way, I started to hear about this 24HOA group. Last year I got talked into joining a team for Conyers, and we did well, finishing a few minutes back of 2nd in our class. Same story as this year...LOOOONNNNGGG wait for awards, an unprofessional reception from the promoter, and some Kenda tires DONATED by Kenda. I expressed disbelief that RACERS had to supply a worker...did the simple math of the exorbinant entry fees x the number of racers...SERIOUS $$$ being generated, and manageable overhead. Doesn't need much staff, make the RACERS bring workers...yeah, that's the ticket.

When they thanked SORBA for the trail work, I asked how much $$$ they donated to SORBA. It seemed like a reasonable question, but I got a VERY ANGRY RESPONSE. Told me a lot.

Reading through this thread is a sad confirmation. This season I was focusing on doing a number of endurance events, but the 50 mile SS rides in Feb produced an inflamed achilles tendon [stuff like this happens too easily when 50 is getting near!]. So, I've been a non-racer this year, but am already looking ahead.

THANK YOU for helping me clarify where I WON'T GO next season!

And a closing observation: it is interesting to note that most of stu's supporters have about 2 or 3 posts TOTAL on these boards! Stu...have you been registering under an alias again?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

last time at 24 HOA Conyers

3rd year riding at the 24 HOA in Conyers, last 2 years as part of a team sponsored by my company. i wont belabor all the points above, only to say that we won't be back for many of the reasons stated plus a few.

my company sponsors 2 corporate teams a year. we will be taking that 2K elsewhere.

rey
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekSErider
    Im not getting involved in this discussion except to say you didnt blow by eatough at reddick last year. he wasnt there! ; )

it was 2 years ago he was there racing with us. we're working on another 'guest of honor' for the '06 event.
    hmm, anyhoo maybe my head is mushy from too many usages as a shovel....but my lame attempt at humor stands.

and i do distinctly remember those guys passing me..."blow by" doesnt cover it...what a fun race
    Last edited by rey; 10-17-2005 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member

Please give the 24 Hours of Pisgah a try

Quote Originally Posted by rkeith
    3rd year riding at the 24 HOA in Conyers, last 2 years as part of a team sponsored by my company. i wont belabor all the points above, only to say that we won't be back for many of the reasons stated plus a few.

my company sponsors 2 corporate teams a year. we will be taking that 2K elsewhere.

I hate to seem like an oppertunist but we are gratefull to everyone who enters the 24HOP and our entry packets, our prizes, our live music, our beer and food show that. We know that with out you there is not a race. Not an event. Nothing! We are working on the exact date for next year, but it will be in September agin as always. most likly the 3rd weekend. Check out enduroadventures.com, ask around. We had a lot of great folks last year from all over but a lot from GA. Read the BOD forum or the SORBA forum, lots of others. We won't let you down.

Ken Camp

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro Adventures
    I hate to seem like an oppertunist but we are gratefull to everyone who enters the 24HOP and our entry packets, our prizes, our live music, our beer and food show that. We know that with out you there is not a race. Not an event. Nothing! We are working on the exact date for next year, but it will be in September agin as always. most likly the 3rd weekend. Check out enduroadventures.com, ask around. We had a lot of great folks last year from all over but a lot from GA. Read the BOD forum or the SORBA forum, lots of others. We won't let you down.

Ken Camp
    Also check out the (unsolicited, I promise you) comments on the NTMBA message board:

http://www.ntmba.org/messageboard/to...?TOPIC_ID=1090

Not like Ken needs stroking or anything but his event was a hoot. Everybody within distance of Conyers can save $50-100 in fees, get some cool stuff, and have a blast at a great event and absolutely stellar venue.

Do Pisgah next year, you won't be sorry.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro Adventures

Ken Camp

I was there with BOD. I plan to be back next year!

kbraunphoto

Thank you

I dont mean to shoot a dead horse, but i just want to thank those riders who came out to this course. I am a local in Conyers and I got fired from my job at REI a hour after the race started, so i came to watch you guys and ended up volunteering for 26 hours straight with a sprained ankle just to keep my mind clear. I just want to say thank you for riding hard and giving me a reason to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Not to add fuel to the fire but 24HOA left a lot of trash on the trails at Conyers after the race. They did take down all the tape but instead of bringing it out of the woods to throw it away, they left huge balls of it at different places on the trails. I would have picked it up but it was too much to carry on my bike. I'll have to walk in one day and get it. They left a lot of the signs back there too.

Also, I was as at the race and at the beginning they claimed that the 24HOA guys worked "so hard" on the trails to get them ready for the race. Whatever.......... Granted, SORBA hasn't been able to do much lately but a there have been SORBA guys out there cutting back brush and removing a huge log that had fallen over the trail. The only thing the 24HOA guys did was put up tape. Also, Stuart never once mentioned SORBA nor did he offer them any donations or schwag....not even a freakin' water bottle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noclevername
    Not to add fuel to the fire but 24HOA left a lot of trash on the trails at Conyers after the race. They did take down all the tape but instead of bringing it out of the woods to throw it away, they left huge balls of it at different places on the trails. I would have picked it up but it was too much to carry on my bike. I'll have to walk in one day and get it. They left a lot of the signs back there too.

Also, I was as at the race and at the beginning they claimed that the 24HOA guys worked "so hard" on the trails to get them ready for the race. Whatever.......... Granted, SORBA hasn't been able to do much lately but a there have been SORBA guys out there cutting back brush and removing a huge log that had fallen over the trail. The only thing the 24HOA guys did was put up tape. Also, Stuart never once mentioned SORBA nor did he offer them any donations or schwag....not even a freakin' water bottle.

I dislike Stuart as much as the next guy but to correct info he did Mention and thank SORBA at the end of the event while waiting on Awards and said he wanted to do something for us.

THAT SAID . . . . We shall see if he meant it or if he was blowing smoke.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    I dislike Stuart as much as the next guy but to correct info he did Mention and thank SORBA at the end of the event while waiting on Awards and said he wanted to do something for us.

THAT SAID . . . . We shall see if he meant it or if he was blowing smoke.
    He did do something for us, he left his trash for us to clean up on the trail How nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Umm, yup

Getting into this discussion a bit late, but couldn't resist...

Dude, are you smoking crack? Should Laird have copyright protection on his work? You bet your arse! It's no different from my, or any other writers, situation. Those rules were the result of his effort, and he should be compensated if someone wants to use them, period. It's no different from the textbooks and educational curriculum I write. JC man, take the time to create rules yourself, or reimburse someone for their time and effort if you don't want to. Now, it's one thing if a NFP wants to use them, maybe the author would give permission, but dude, you are trying to make money off someone else's work!

I gotta tell you, this year will see my first effort at 24 hour solo racing... am moving on from Ironman racing, looking for a new challenge. After witnessing this spectacle, I can assure you that I will absolutely not be giving my $$ to HOA, under any circumstances. You're a fool.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9