mtbr member

24 hours of whiskeytown / whiskeytown nine to five, oct 5 & 6

If you're looking for a fun, low-key endurance event on a super-fun course, consider the
    24 Hours of Whiskeytown or the Whiskeytown Nine to Five.

24 Hrs. of Whiskeytown / Whiskeytown Nine to Five

This is a long-time favorite event among NorCal endurance racers. Everything about is is cool---the course, the venue, the people! If you've never done this one you owe it to yourself to come out and find out why some racers do it year after year.

COURSE: The trail system within the Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area is FANTASTIC! Most of the singletrack trails were dug by hand during the 1850's Gold Rush era. Few places in the world have this much flowing singletrack. Racers have loved our course for years---some have described as "the best parts of the Lemurain" ---and this year's course will be even better! Instead of taking the Shasta Mine Trail the course will stay on the Clear Creek Canal Trail, which is longer, twistier and more fun! We haven't used this trail before because of one nasty section affectionately known as "The Ditch of Death," but that section has been reworked and is now completely ridable. The course will be about 8.5 miles long with about 1450' of climbing.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE COURSE MAP
    VENUE: You'll love it, the people. The venue is the NEED Camp, a cute facility right on Clear Creek. with nice lawn pit area, real bathrooms AND showers, paved parking and and bunk houses that you and your crew can rent for Friday and/or Saturday night.
    SCHEDULE: 8 Hour is 9am to 5pm on Saturday, Oct. 5
    The 24 Hours is 9:00am Saturday Oct. 5 to 9:00am Sunday, Oct. 6
    TEAM / SOLO CATEGORIES: 1)Beginner 2)Sport 3)Expert 4)Pro 5)Male Jr(age17&<) 6)Master (age 40+) 7)Super Master (age 50+) 8)Super Duper Master (age 60+)
    9)Women Jr.(age 17& under 10) Women Beginner 11) Women Sport 12) Women Expert/Pro
    13) Mixed (at least one woman) 14)Clydesdale (each rider 200lb+) 15)Tandem (2 entries) 16)Unicycle 17) Singlespeed 18)Singlespeed Women NOTE: Category is determined by the highest ranked team member: For instance, a 4-rider team with only 1 expert will still race in the expert category. For age categories (Jr., Master, etc.) all team members must be within that age category.

START / FINISH: The start/finish is in the NEED Camp . ONLY LAPS COMPLETED by 5pm for the 8hour or 9:00am for the 24 Hour will be counted.

CABINS: Rather not camp? We've reserved a block of bunkhouses right at the race venue. They sleep 8, there's a central bathroom and shower-house, all for only $50 per night for the whole bunkhouse. The course passes right by the bunk-houses---so you may pit out of your bunk-house if you want. Available Friday and Saturday night. Reserve early, there's a limited number of cabins. To avoid double booking cabins they will only be available on-line. Reserve your cabin when you register on-line to race.
    8 HOUR ENTRY FEES: $55 per rider, Juniors (age 17 & under) $45 Race day entry is $15 extra.
    24 HOUR ENTRY FEES: $100 per rider, Juniors (age 17 & under) $90 Race day entry is $15 extra.

This event is a benefit for the Shasta County Search & Rescue Team. Over the years Team Bigfoot's Whiskeytown events have raised over $4500 for the team.

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO AT WHISKEYTOWN? The Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area is a real treasure. There's the lake of course--great for swimming, sunning, boating, fishing, etc. There are endless hiking trails, many of them lead to incredible water falls. Stop by the visitors center for details or visit the website: Whiskeytown National Recreational Area -Whiskeytown National Recreation Area
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    This looks way more fun then the 24hr of good I be scheduled for later that month, looks like ill be doing two 24hr solo in October

mtbr member

Cool at night

24 hours of whiskeytown / whiskeytown nine to five, oct 5 &amp; 6-mtbrrootsdark.jpg

Early October can still be warm during the day at Whiskeytown, 70s and 80s is normal. But at night during the 24-hour it cools off to the 50s. Be prepared!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks like rain this weekend, course should be perfect , always great trails there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm kind sweating over what gearing to pick for my first ever single speed race in the solo 24hr div no less. My local trails are crazy steep ranging from 15-25deg so I've been struggling on just short rides thus far. I hope this course is a bit easier or else it's going to be a long night.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I really wish I could do this race. I have lost some fitness since the race season, but the 9-5 looks sweet. The 24 hour thing sounds silly but that is just me

mtbr member
    Yesterday's Whiskeytown Classic cross-country was held on the same trails as the 24 Hours of Whiskeytown. There was light drizzle for much of the race (no rain in the forecast this week) and thanks to all of the XC riders, the course is buffed out and sweet! We rode it today to take down the XC course marking and the conditions were the best ever!

mtbr member
    I'm in for the nine to five, hope to make up for my poor performance from last year........

mtbr member
    Just went to check out camping at Whiskeytown lake, due to the b.s. government shutdown there is no web site to look at ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE157 View Post
    Just went to check out camping at Whiskeytown lake, due to the b.s. government shutdown there is no web site to look at ?
    Mike,
    There will be FREE camping for racers at Horse Camp, right on the course and just 1/4 mile from the start finish. That is IF the event is not cancelled. We always rent this group campground for the event for those who don't want to do the bunkhouse thing within the venue or for those who want to have their dog or beer (neither is allowed within the venue at the NEED Camp).

GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN & WHISKEYTOWN NINE TO FIVE / 24 HOURS OF WHISKEYTOWN

Well folks, here's the sitch, the Whiskeytown National Recreation Area is subject to the current government shutdown, so at this moment our permit for this coming weekend has been suspended. However, if the shutdown is lifted prior to Friday morning, we'll still have time to get the course marked and run the events as planned.

Keep watching your favorite news for updates.

Thank you,

Team Bigfoot (707) 845-3095

mtbr member

With the government shutdown still in effect our permit with Whiskeytown National Recreation Area remains suspended and we will not be able to hold these events as planned this weekend. Hope continues that the shutdown will end and that we can reschedule for the near future.

Continue monitoring your favorite news source. Once the shutdown has ended we'll do our best to quickly work with the Whiskeytown administration to reschedule. Updates will be posted here, on our website and on our Facebook page.

Thank you,

Team Bigfoot