mtbr member
    Sep 2009

24 hours in Enchanted Forest

Got this on the calendar and have some questions. The plan is to drive in to Gallup on Thursday and spend the night there. The big question is whether it'd be better to camp onsite Friday night thereby snagging a good camp site or will there be enough good sites to sleep in a bed and get a good shower in a motel room?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by philipt View Post
    Got this on the calendar and have some questions. The plan is to drive in to Gallup on Thursday and spend the night there. The big question is whether it'd be better to camp onsite Friday night thereby snagging a good camp site or will there be enough good sites to sleep in a bed and get a good shower in a motel room?
    Never done Enchanted Forest, but have spent a night in a motel in Gallup. I like Gallup, it's a real western town with lots of character. Have done the Dawn 'Til Dusk which was a great event...

But! If you get a motel room be careful if it's right next to the railroad tracks. Which almost all of them are. The trains go roaring through all day and all night and blow their horns. There are no ear plugs effective enough at least for me to get a minute's worth of sleep. I'd get more sleep sitting upright behind the wheel of my pickup truck than in one of those Old Route 66 motels with the tracks going right by.

Be warned, and enjoy the Enchanted Forest, I've heard it's a great event!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Desert RAT
    I would camp Friday, because the race is actually in Mcgaffey,NM which is about a 30min drive from Gallup. If your racing solo you will want to get a good camp/pit area.
    Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Camping up there is pretty awesome. The organizers also do a great job with having stuff to do for families, I think there's a dinner. Last year they did some little contests and I think had a keg ready to go as well. It's a super good atmosphere all weekend.

mtbr member
    anyone know what time registration is open on feb 1st? I am having a hard time finding it. anyone know if it sells out quick?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Never done Enchanted Forest, but have spent a night in a motel in Gallup. I like Gallup, it's a real western town with lots of character. Have done the Dawn 'Til Dusk which was a great event...

But! If you get a motel room be careful if it's right next to the railroad tracks. Which almost all of them are. The trains go roaring through all day and all night and blow their horns. There are no ear plugs effective enough at least for me to get a minute's worth of sleep. I'd get more sleep sitting upright behind the wheel of my pickup truck than in one of those Old Route 66 motels with the tracks going right by.

Be warned, and enjoy the Enchanted Forest, I've heard it's a great event!
    Listen to Tom I learnt the train lesson the tough way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    anyone know what time registration is open on feb 1st? I am having a hard time finding it. anyone know if it sells out quick?
    I think it took awhile to sell out last year

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is there a reason no one seems to post a link to events in question when they create these threads? 24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest - Zia Rides - 12 & 24 Hour Mountain Bike Races | Zia Rides - 12 & 24 Hour Mountain Bike Races

Anyways this looks like it could be a lot of fun but with it being several states over ill have to think hard about making the trek. There's so many cool races I want to do outside of CA but I don't have the time or money for all of them. I'll add this to the callender and continue stressing about what races I'm going to drop hundreds of $ on 6 months in advance because they sell out way to soon.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    Is there a reason no one seems to post a link to events in question when they create these threads? 24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest - Zia Rides - 12 & 24 Hour Mountain Bike Races | Zia Rides - 12 & 24 Hour Mountain Bike Races
    Yes, they are waiting for you to do it for them. :-)

It is a great 24 hr course and great event. I would suggest just camping onsite.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Just tried to register, but it seems if you don't have a current USAC license you can't register for solo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

24HITEF Interview

In case any of you are interested, we just did an interview with the director of Zia Rides about the race.

Have a listen:

Code: