HTFU!

24 Hour Racing and Dry Ice

So, I signed up for the Coolest 24 here in NorCal (June 22-23rd). Temps could be in the mid-90's. I was thinking of using dry ice to keep my drinks etc. cold. Has anyone done this. Is there a good method (like wet ice over dry) to keep things cold but not freeze everything? Am I better off going with regular ice and adding some rocksalt?
    Thinking about experimenting this weekend with a cooler and some bottles but won't waste my time/$$$ if people can convince me this is a bad idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I did a 24 solo in TX when it was mid 90s. I just used ice to keep things cold. When I swung through the pit, my crew handed me a new camelback with water +/- electrolytes + ice. Worked perfectly.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by gearjunkie88 View Post
    I did a 24 solo in TX when it was mid 90s. I just used ice to keep things cold. When I swung through the pit, my crew handed me a new camelback with water +/- electrolytes + ice. Worked perfectly.
    What is this 'crew' you speak of and where do I find one?
    Though I may share a pit area with another rider or even a team, I will be self-supported during this event (no pit crew) so I really want to have things prepared. Another thought would be to fill bottles half way, freeze them, then race morning fill them the rest of the way. Maybe freeze some bottles fully that can be used 12-18 hours in. I guess I am just trying to avoid everything melting and getting warm, but unless your pit crew went out for new ice, it sounds like you are telling me that is unlikely to happen.
    FWIW I did a 24 solo a couple years ago, and unfortunately I did have an issue with all the ice melting. The water was still kinda cold...but part of the problem was the cooler I was using (and leaving the lid ajar for a spell, doh!),...just trying to be better prepared this go around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My wife and a couple of friends took turns crewing. They didn't go out for new ice. Keeping the ice from melting probably isn't going happen. But, the melted ice water is still really cold and stays that way for a couple of days. In my mind, melted ice was a good thing. My crew would just scoop up some of the ice water and throw it in a Camelbak (I didn't use many bottles because I have a hard time riding technical stuff while trying to get bottles out of the cage). Then throw in a scoop of Hammer HEED or Sustained Energy and shake it up. I had a few bladders that I rotated... one for straight water, one for HEED, one for Sustained Energy... to keep all the flavors separate. I had 2 coolers... one for drinking water/ice and one for keeping some food cold. I was using an Igloo MaxCold something or other (probably from Wal-Mart). I'd bet one of those Yeti coolers would be better. Maybe those water bottles that have the insulation in them might be a way to go??? I've never used dry ice or the rock salt trick. If you try the dry ice, be careful not to accidentally touch the dry ice while you're trying to quickly get in/out of the pit.

Team Velveeta™

Hftu

Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    What is this 'crew' you speak of and where do I find one?
    Though I may share a pit area with another rider or even a team, I will be self-supported during this event (no pit crew) so I really want to have things prepared. Another thought would be to fill bottles half way, freeze them, then race morning fill them the rest of the way. Maybe freeze some bottles fully that can be used 12-18 hours in. I guess I am just trying to avoid everything melting and getting warm, but unless your pit crew went out for new ice, it sounds like you are telling me that is unlikely to happen.
    FWIW I did a 24 solo a couple years ago, and unfortunately I did have an issue with all the ice melting. The water was still kinda cold...but part of the problem was the cooler I was using (and leaving the lid ajar for a spell, doh!),...just trying to be better prepared this go around.
    I've done some experiments with dry ice for long-ish term desert camping operations. Here's a picture to put in your mind:

Good-sized chunk of dry ice, some food that I hope to keep from spoiling, covered over with normal ice in a good tightly-sealed cooler. Open it up when it's time to get the reserve food out and find that the stuff is so hard frozen that thawing it takes many hours, even sitting out in the sun. Dry ice is way colder than normal ice. It's -110° F, where normal water ice is of course +32° F.

That said, my experience is get a good modern cooler. They have the ones called 3-day coolers. Really thick, get one with a lid that is also thick and seals well. And while you are out there take pains to keep it in the shade.

Also in my experience, taking in really cold liquid feels really good, but I don't think it hydrates as well. I get used to drinking my fluids at what ever temp it winds up being. Also, have one of those Camelbak podium bottles that's "insulated" and I don't think it makes that much difference.

But that's just me. I'm such a tough mofo, I sleep with a granite pillow and use tinfoil for toilet paper.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How about two coolers? Both with regular ice, but one for the first 6-9 hours (when it is the hottest) and the other doesn't get touched or opened until later in the race (when nightfall has made it cooler anyway). I would think that the 2nd cooler would be fine in the shade and unopened for a good part of the race.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    How about two coolers? Both with regular ice, but one for the first 6-9 hours (when it is the hottest) and the other doesn't get touched or opened until later in the race (when nightfall has made it cooler anyway). I would think that the 2nd cooler would be fine in the shade and unopened for a good part of the race.
    I'd go with this option. Run a piece of tape around the second cooler to help seal it a bit too.
    I used to drive a delivery truck for a dry ice company. I completely agree with TomPs post above.
    Cheers, Dave

HTFU!
    ^^^ Agreed. This makes the most sense. It seems like dry ice either is going to freez everything or is more trouble than it is worth...especially if regular ice will get the job done. Seemed like it might be a good idea when I thought of it...but like any idea that I think is brilliant, there is a reason why no one else is doing it.

Sincere thanks for all the input. I will report back after the event that though I was prepared, I still bailed after 11 hrs anyway.
    Hope that is not the case, but ya never know.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    ...seems like dry ice either is going to freez everything or is more trouble than it is worth...especially if regular ice will get the job done. Seemed like it might be a good idea when I thought of it...but like any idea that I think is brilliant, there is a reason why no one else is doing it...
    Ah, thinking outside the box. Such a great skill, until it leads you off into the weeds.

First time I ever did a White Rim trip, we had a permit for one night. Since we were gong to be in Moab riding other stuff for a couple days before going out onto the Rim I got the bright idea to pack up a cooler with a series of delicacies in dry ice so that it would keep for half a week. Duct taped it into a cooler.

We get out to our site, unload and set up camp. I un-tape my treasure chest. Had to chip away the surface ice, then got into the food. I think it was some nice steaks or something? You could have pounded fuggin' nails with that food. I think we wound up having power bars for dinner, because the real food was utterly and hopelessly rock-hard frozen.

It's funny now!

At least you were wise enough to ask about the idea. I just trusted my own smarter-than-the-average-bear judgement and went with mine.

Luckily it was just a guy trip. If there'd been a woman there I would have been the subject of ridicule. As it was we just washed down our power bars with extra beer.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"