Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

24 hour in the Old Pueblo, must haves??

Just signed up for this with my dad as a duo. It looks like a total blast especially the camping part. So what are some must haves that after your first time riding the race (or any 24 hr race) where you said I should have brought that. I saw in some pictures people brought couches and bike racks etc. What else ya got

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For this race in particular, a comb. The cactus will get you sooner or later, and supposedly they are easier to remove from your skin (or elsewhere) with a comb. Slime tubes or tubeless.

Get there early, or close to when they open the lot for camping. have fun its a great race, but its not very technical - so that is either good or bad.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by rferic18 View Post
    Just signed up for this with my dad as a duo. It looks like a total blast especially the camping part. So what are some must haves that after your first time riding the race (or any 24 hr race) where you said I should have brought that...
    OP is a really fun one, great choice for your first 24. I've been there twice but not for several years, signed up solo this year.

What to bring for a 24 hour race--that's a big subject. There's lots out there about that.

For OP in particular:

if you're the types who want a fire, you'll need to bring some kind of tray for it, no fires allowed on the ground. But there will be peeps around who have fires, and there's a real community feeling. It would be easy to wander into somebody else's camp and ask for a little fire time.

it's a winter 24, so there's lots of dark. In summer when it doesn't get dark until 8 or 9 and it's light by 6 am, you don't need so much burn time. But at OP you need lotsa. Can be nice to have a generator for meeting your recharging needs, but again, it's quite a community. If you ask nice your neighbors might give you a socket off their generator.

Watch the weather report real close-like in the week leading up to the event. Some people figure, Southern AZ, it'll be warm and dry. But be warned, the course is up around 4K elevation. Count on best case temps down in the low 40s or even colder. Worst case: snow, rain, mud, coldness. Be ready for whatever.

It's not a technical course, but it's super fun. There are some twisty sections that you can ride fast that I really don't get tired of.

See you out there. I'm a solo, but my "team name" is Ass Callus.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Must haves?

You must have a race entry and I'm looking for a Solo spot, anyone want to get rid of one? ;-)

mtbr member
    Must have.....make sure you take more food than you think you will want/need. Never know what you'll have an appetite for at 3am.
    I'm from West Virginia and a friend of mine has been out there a few times and loves it. He's been trying to get me to go with him year after year and it just never works out for me. Maybe one of these years....
    ¡uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ¡¡¡pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great, thanks for the info. We're pretty excited and plan on heading down Friday around lunch time. (friends will be there in the am to set up camp). We are bringing a fire pit and a ez-up for sure. I'm also thinking or slapping together a PVC race rack for the campsite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I did my first 24hr race this last summer. I didn't bring a rack or a comfy tent/sleeping pad. I wish I had brought those two things. I also agree with a large choice of food. I know people talk about getting your nutrition figured out prior to the race. A cheeseburger in the evening sure was tasty and really gave me some energy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Last year 24 hour town (the camping venue) was nearly full by noon on Friday, so get there early. If 24 hour town is full, hang a left (south I presume) and go 20 yards down the wash just before entering 24 hour town. That was a perfect camping site for my team last year, and nobody knows about it. They usually give a comb to remove the cactus in the swag bag. The temperature was in the 70's during the day and hit 30 at night last year. A few years ago it snowed the day before the race. I remember the seen in the transition tent at 3 AM like it was yesterday. Nobody saying a word and everyone exhausted. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have been there 11 times. 4 as a duo. Duo requires some special attention.

1. A helper… you need to make the most of the time between laps. Someone to check out your bike while you rest makes a huge difference
    2. Lots of bike shorts. take them off as soon as you come in and get into dry stuff.
    3. 2 sets of batteries for your lights. You won't get them charged enough between laps
    4. check list… of everything you want to do between laps. At 3:00 AM you will forget stuff like your food, water or fresh batteries
    5. A weed sprayer… fill it with soapy water to wash mud off of your bike if it rains
    6. baby wipes… this is related to bringing lots of shorts
    7. heat… a portable tent heater like the Big Buddy helps you to warm up between laps. Critical if you get rain

Camp as close to the start finish as you can. It minimizes the trip back and forth and if someone doesn't wake up it's a short trip to go get them. If it's real cold and/or wet you can wait at your camp. Finally, I get cell service down there. I think it would be worth it to stop and call to alert the other rider when you are 15 min out so that you both get the max amount of rest in between laps. Our moto was 'start out slow then taper off. After the first two laps we were always in about 35th place. It worked great for us. We were two old dudes and we managed top 10 finishes every time.

mtbr member
    24 hour solo checklist - Tips from exp riders??

This was helpful when putting together my list for my 1st 24

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I did my first 24hr race this last summer. I didn't bring a rack or a comfy tent/sleeping pad. I wish I had brought those two things

K3N
    Certified slacker
    My first thought was firewood. My second thought was to have someone there to keep the fire going at 3am Last year at 3am I was very unhappy. I was glad to have a complete change of clothes though. Fresh socks are wonderful.

No couch here, but was very envious of the peeps who had one.

Very excited for this year! Our duo managed 14 last year. Shooting for 16 this year. We are the (very appropriately named) average joes

Natural body armor
    I'm in, 24 solo SS.
    First time here, should be fun.
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just scored a 24hr Solo spot. SS rigid. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    1. Extra lights - 2 per person plus a backup headlamp. I had an epic fail last year (long lap after a lower back disk issue) and had to do the entire final climb and descent in the dark. Only one person sympathized with me to stop and help. Also, have a small generator for recharging your batteries. If you can plug into your car, then great but you run the risk of killing that battery too.

2. Dry clothes (top and bottom) for each lap. I guess this will be tough if you are riding duo so get the fire going to dry some stuff out (bring a cheap drying rack from home). Wet clothes are miserable at 3AM.

3. Patience - you are going to get passed 100 times by both sexes. Understand there are real hammers out there and a lot of people are packed into a small space.

4. Money - to purchase some of the yummy food and a race jersey that I did not get but now regret.

5. Nutrition - I found that it was very difficult to take in nutrition on the trail due to so many riders being out on course, in addition to the thousand-cactus-beatdown you will receive if you accidentally go off course. Have your resupply right next to your bed when you finish lapping and be sure to force it down.

Its a great race and everyone I met was more than happy to be there. A very positive experience and Tuscon is awesome in February!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Beer.

hispanic mechanic
    An attitude of fun.
    24HOP was my first solo 24, and there were so many great people out there that you're almost guaranteed to have the time of your life.
    The year I did it (2001? maybe '02...) it dropped to well below freezing the night before and the night of. Along with the solid suggestions about batteries and changes of cycling clothes, warm clothes, a 20 degree or warmer sleeping bag, and chicken noodle soup would be some recommendations I'd make.
    Have fun out there!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

smd
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    In addition, I'd suggest:

1. Real food that you like and can digest easily - I like sweet potato and shredded pork tacos and some kind of simple, hot, soup at 3am when you're freezing.

2. Crap food for the moment when you need it - Jalapeno Pringles and Reese's Pieces get me sane when little else can.

3. A keen eye for shiny things, like whiskey!

I'll be there this year racing solo SS. Keep the rubber side down and the grins up!

Sean

mtbr member
    I'm in need of a teammate for a "fast" 5 person open team. PM me if you are interested, or know someone. Entry paid, some required clothing (kit) will be provided. Experence in these events, and a race resume would be expected. Serious inquires only, unless we cant find someone, then comedy preferred.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smd View Post
    In addition, I'd suggest:

1. Real food that you like and can digest easily - I like sweet potato and shredded pork tacos and some kind of simple, hot, soup at 3am you're freezing. when

2. Crap food for the moment when you need it - Jalapeno Pringles and Reese's Pieces get me sane when little else can.
    ditto on the hot soup. Chicken noodle or rice with plenty of salt. Frittos and those little gem chocolate donuts.

Carnivore
    How many days before the event can you set up camp? I'm headed down this weekend to preride and wondering if we can snag a spot Sunday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    How many days before the event can you set up camp? I'm headed down this weekend to preride and wondering if we can snag a spot Sunday.
    Thursday officially. Marking territory and coming back for the race is frowned upon. I don't think they'll have 24 hour town marked out on Sunday

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by stevland View Post
    Thursday officially. Marking territory and coming back for the race is frowned upon. I don't think they'll have 24 hour town marked out on Sunday
    Both the times I did this event I was out there camping for a while before. I remember distinctly in '08 that all week long people would come out and tape off their territory then leave. Then I think Friday morning the event staff walked around with garbage bags. If you weren't there they pulled your tape and stuffed it into the bag. I saw some people show up and stomp around mad because there tape was gone and somebody had snagged "their spot". So yeah, I wouldn't bother unless somebody can afford to stay out there.

Also, you Arizonans probably all know: if you're going to be camped out there before the event you should have a state trust land permit. Technically everybody who's staying at 24 hour town should have one, but I think it's just too big to enforce for the state once the event is underway and there are hundreds of people out there.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Also, you Arizonans probably all know: if you're going to be camped out there before the event you should have a state trust land permit. Technically everybody who's staying at 24 hour town should have one, but I think it's just too big to enforce for the state once the event is underway and there are hundreds of people out there.
    I believe the the organizer purchased a race wide permit, so not needed for the Thur-Sunday.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Carnivore
    I thought there might be an issue with that. I figured if I was there this weekend and set up camp I could leave it up. When I'm elk hunting I never have an issue leaving my camp unattended for a few days.

I plan to arrive back at 24 Hour town on Thursday night and didn't want to be trundling around in the dark looking for a camp spot. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time.

We are going because my daughter is racing on the AZ High School League Team with Pua Mata. They will be working out of the Sho-Air/Cannondale factory rig living like queens while the rest of the family will be living in the dirt like common folk. I'm not racing myself unless somebody needs a last minute team addition and the Sho-Air bunch don't need me for support. Is there much parking lot recruiting going on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast