mtbr member

24 HITOP solo lights?

I'm doing the 24HITOP solo for the first time and I'm wondering about lights. I plan to ride all night. How do solo riders deal with Nite Rider rentals? I'd hate to have to stop between laps to exchange lights all night. I'm thinking about just buying several of the cheap Chinese Cree lights off ebay. Anybody have experience with them? I bought one so far. Just an 1800 lumen single LED light. The battery seems to last a long time considering. Like 4 hours. I've heard these lights are kind of hit and miss though. I was thinking of the dual light 5000 lumen set up on the bars, plus another single for the helmet. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Rent some batteries from nightrider . contact them reserve a couple

Your Best Friend
    I bought the 2800 and 5000 lumen cree lights from Amazon. They are exactly the same. I do get almost 5 hours of burn time out of them on high though. Moral of the story, don't buy the 5000 lumen light.

Light freak
    How about some custom "built to order" lights made by a fellow cyclist? Been making high performance LED lights for over 6 years now. Have lights all around the world being used by commuters, mtn bikers, and endurance racers. I can do a variety of different battery pack configurations also.

These are some of the reasons some people purchase my lights -
    1. - Size
    2. - Weight
    3. - Always using the latest and greatest releases of LED's
    4. - Customer service
    5. - Made by someone who uses his lights on an almost daily basis and knows the importance of reliability and has the same passion for biking.

Here is a recent thread that popped up in the Colorado - Front Range forum that I think speaks to the value of my lights - Any lights best Magicshines for Winter use?

Shoot me an email to the address in my signature and I can forward you a bunch of info. Also check out the link to my blog for some ride pics and videos.

24 HITOP solo lights?-amoeba-lights.jpg

mtbr member
    I have an old SSC P7 900 lumen Dealextreme light and a 1200 lumen Cree. I find that the pair is more than enough light for night riding even on technical terrain. My wife will be using them at Old Pueblo on a team, and I'm planning on using them for a solo later in the year with a few extra battery packs. Maybe I'll pick up a 3800 just for fun.