more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

2018 True Grit Epic (NUE #1)

NUE #1 is just a work week away.

Anyone else here doing it?

First time TGE racer here...doing the hundo. For the '100 mile' (I guess it is technically a smidge less than that), it looks there are just two Feedzones, but it looks like you pass them both 2 twice per lap for a total of 4 possible pit zone stops per lap yes?

Stop 1 before the start of Zen, ("Feedzone 1") ~mile 14 and ~57
    Stop 2 at the end of Zen, (also labeled as "Feedzone 1") ~mile 20.6 and ~63.8
    Stop 3 at begging of Barrel Roll trail, ("Feedzone 2") ~mile 38 and 81
    then Stop 4 at the end of Barrell Roll (also labeled as "Feedzone 2") ~mile 43 and 86

Having a hard time visualizing where the best place to do drop bags are. Maybe I just leave a bunch of bottles at both so I'm covered whether I need them or not.

Can't wait.

SS Pusher Man
    It's a fun race.....the 100 is tough....really tough.

I'll be out there for the 50 on the SS again.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    It's a fun race.....the 100 is tough....really tough.

I'll be out there for the 50 on the SS again.
    Right on man...I'll actually be in SS class for the 100 myself. I'm expecting it to be as tough as advertised for sure. I came out and visited around Thanksgiving to visit St. George and sample the trails (Zen, Barrel...basically rode everything over the course of a few days)...and that is what sold me on the race.

Weather forecast looks perfect (knocks on wood)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    fwiw, I'd recommend stashing a bunch of bottles at both. It's a hoot of a race, have fun and good luck!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    fwiw, I'd recommend stashing a bunch of bottles at both.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm having a hard time forecasting when I'll passing through the aids...looking at past finishers times and what not helps, but still difficult....so yeah, just thinking of having a bunch of bottles stashed at both and if I need them..they'll be there...

mtbr member
    Excited to make the trip and do some racing, planning on using my osprey pack and a bottle with power drink for the 50. If i need more then use the aid stations as needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm having a hard time forecasting when I'll passing through the aids...looking at past finishers times and what not helps, but still difficult....so yeah, just thinking of having a bunch of bottles stashed at both and if I need them..they'll be there...
    Ahh, timing. I'd guestimate you'd be looking at around 45 - 50 min to the Zen aid, another 45-50 for the zen loop. then roughly an hour maybe a little more (?) to that parking lot aid on the way to Barrel Roll. Yeah, you pass by this one twice but the first little lolipop after that is maybe 10 min or so and then you pass by again on your way to barrel roll (30-40 min depending on traffic).

The biggest gap will be at the start of your second lap - where the peeps doing the 50 go left and you go right. You've got the time on Barrel Roll and then the 45ish minutes back to the Zen feed area.

Between Zen and that parking lot they'll have an emergency aid (usually) with water and a course marshall. That's roughly an hour give or take between the two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm on the list for 50. Going to be a cold start.

After pre-riding Zen today, a guy at the parking lot was asking me about the race. "You mean, people pay money to do that?! Ouch!"

I laughed, and said that some even do it with one gear.

Good luck, All!!!

mtbr member
    Wow, that was a tough race. Being a NorCal guy, the rocks and that terrain aren't exactly my normal riding. I had a good first 2 hours then on the backside the lights went out for awhile costing me about 10-15 minutes of cramping/stretching. I had 4.36 of ride time, but with the stops the total time was about 5 hrs. A little disappointed on my total time, but it is what it is and looking forward to the next race this season.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    What a fun race! A broken spoke after the waterfall almost derailed my race, but I took it easy on the most technical descents and still bested my 2016 time by about 10 minutes. 3:41 race time.

My wife had a killer race and finished 2nd in the 100. Something like 18th overall including men. 7:59. She's an animal.

We'll be back for sure!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    What a fun race! A broken spoke after the waterfall almost derailed my race, but I took it easy on the most technical descents and still bested my 2016 time by about 10 minutes. 3:41 race time.

My wife had a killer race and finished 2nd in the 100. Something like 18th overall including men. 7:59. She's an animal.

We'll be back for sure!
    Wow great results!

I had a disappointing race and had to pull a DNF in the SS 100 group. Race was going decently well for the first lap and was on pace to finish somewhere in the 7:30 - 7:45 spread. Despite having too spinny of a gear (especially on the backside of Bearclaw / Stucki.....lost soooooo much time back there), I noticed my rear brake performance was deteriorating steadily throughout the race. The lever started to intermittently pull right to the bars...not good. They're XT's, so I started fiddling with lever throw adjust knob a bit and by extending it out, I found I could get some bit...but that only lasted so long and I eventually had it extended all the way out and it would still go to the bars.

So I had to continually pump the rear to get any kind of braking there. Sometimes it would be there, sometimes it would not. ARgghhh...Nearly went over the bars on the Barrel Ride / Waterfall decent and with the second lap of Zen approaching I began to get really worried. I just wouldn't be able to 'race it'. It would more just like 'don't get hurt'.

So made the decision to pull out at the bottom of Zen trail on lap 2 while in 3rd SS. Looking back at it, I am really bummed...but it was the right decision at the time. I just didn't think the risk / reward was there (for me).

Great race...hopefully I get the chance to do it again.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    The support this year was outstanding, OUTSTANDING. I did the race on bottles and the feed zone workers were so fast thst I barely got a chance to rest, and I made them refill my bottles instead of just doing a hot swap.

I'm still in awe, it felt like I was a pro for a day.