mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2018 Oz Trail Off Road - Epic Rides comes east-ish!?!

https://epicrides.com/events/oz-trai...d/event-guide/

I've looked at Epic Rides other events before and this is the first one to come kinda east-ish, very tempting. Anybody headed to this one? Looks like a great time, I hear nothing but rave reviews about the trails around Bentonville.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/oz-...-50-2018-7342/

Looks like your typical punchy east coast climbs, death by a thousand hills. I know Marathon Nats was in Arkansas this year and there were tons of pinch/slice flats, same kind of rock issues here I wonder?
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If you do head out for this, keep in mind that Epic throws a pretty good party so try to plan to hang around for the various bands/activities. This was on my calendar but a few mid-season injuries has me waffling on some of the stuff late season (read that as I've lost a lot of fitness )

People I know who've ridden these trails really recommend sidewall protection but I'm sure some local will chime in with something better than 3rd hand info.

mtbr member
    I am not a local but I am in KC, so I make it down to Bentonville fairly often since its only 3 hours away. You definitely want a hardy tire, the trails are basically sharp pea gravel over hard pack. I have taken lighter tires down there in the past and ended up putting a ton of plugs in and even had to tube once or twice to get out of the woods. I've had good luck with EXO tires and the Vittoria TNT has always done really well down there.

mtbr member
    I did the marathon race there earlier this year which I think had a similar route. We started in bentonville then rode slaughter pen, blowing springs, and the back 40 for a total of around 45 miles. One of the most fun races I've ever done. There's also a huge variety from fast and flowy with big berms to slow, technical, and rocky.

I also live fairly close to iron mountain where the marathon nats were held. I'd say in general you'd be far more likely to flat on the rocks in the bentonville race.

mtbr member
    I have never ridden in the area, but I have done Epic rides events before. They hold pretty good events. Go trail markings, good swag thrown out at racer meetings and a good party. Plus nice to see the pros at "Off-Road" series events.

I don't plan on going since Arkansas is too far from Arizona.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I had wanted/planned to go to this earlier this year but a wedding in TX the following weekend has wiped out the chance this year. Hopefully they have it again next year and I can make it as it is the only Epic Rides within a "reasonable" driving distance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah, I'm a local. Sidewall protection is a must have. I've had good luck with Maxxis EXO line. They got me through 5 Arkansas marathons this year.

Do NOT run Racing Ralphs... they just don't hold up here.

Yes, lots of punchy climbs and some longer climbs that take several minutes.

It should be a great time! Hope lots of you can make it out! I'm doing the 50.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post
    Yeah, I'm a local. Sidewall protection is a must have. I've had good luck with Maxxis EXO line. They got me through 5 Arkansas marathons this year.

LOL do Racing Ralphs hold up anywhere?! I'll probably run the reinforced Vittorias, they've done me well the last year and seem to hold up on par with maxxis exo's. That and bring some plugs and CO2's. I've got 28t and 36t ring options for the bike right now, have to see how my legs are feeling to decide which one to run but with no 30+ minute climbs I might be able to get away with the big ring.

I'll be there for the 50 it's looking like right now, want to try and get into town Friday for the whole experience. Though the 19 hour drive back to south FL after the race will be fun on race legs. Thanks for the local perspective, I'm trying to drag a few FL folks up with me for the week so hope to see ya there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Excellent! We love having visitors in town to ride our trails! Also the pro race on Sunday has a huge purse. Hopefully a lot of big names will show up.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Excellent! We love having visitors in town to ride our trails! Also the pro race on Sunday has a huge purse. Hopefully a lot of big names will show up.
    I heard Cole Trickle will be there.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Alright, I've signed up for the 50, looking forward to suffering with ya'll in NWA!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How would this race be on a hardtail? I have raced the Whiskey and Carson City on this same hardtail. I tend to be midpack in the 50 miler races. I am debating the hardtail or my 429Trail to just have more fun and not worry as much about hardtail speed. Sounds like as long as you run tough tires you are in pretty good shape.

Student of the Bike
    Take this with a grain of salt because I ONLY ride a hardtail...and its a Stache+ at that. I've ridden all the trails in the Back 40 system where most of this race will take place. I didn't find any of it to be a problem of any kind while riding my Stache. Now the Blowing Springs area is a bit more rocky and ledgy, and the Slaughter Pen stuff has some exposed and embedded rocks with the occasional loose-over-hard, but my experience is that the Back 40 single track is the most "smooth" trail that the Bentonville area has to offer.

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member

I've never been to Arkansas and I am excited about coming to the Oz Trails Offroad! I'm bringing my full-suspension 29 XC bike and could use a specific tire recommendation. I've heard the Ardent or Ardent Race thrown around. Can you comment on these, or have other recommendations?

We're going to stick around afterward to ride other trails--would you recommend renting a trail bike for maximum fun, or could I get by with a 120/100mm travel bike?

Thanks from Alaska!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Back 40 is way tamer than the descents on the Whiskey. Little sharp rocks abound though, but not the super-chunk like Whiskey.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoHillBri View Post
    How would this race be on a hardtail? I have raced the Whiskey and Carson City on this same hardtail. I tend to be midpack in the 50 miler races. I am debating the hardtail or my 429Trail to just have more fun and not worry as much about hardtail speed. Sounds like as long as you run tough tires you are in pretty good shape.
    I've ridden everything on a rigid 29+. I didn't have any issues. The few areas that have big rocks are low speed, so I never felt the need for fs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee View Post
    I've never been to Arkansas and I am excited about coming to the Oz Trails Offroad! I'm bringing my full-suspension 29 XC bike and could use a specific tire recommendation. I've heard the Ardent or Ardent Race thrown around. Can you comment on these, or have other recommendations?

We're going to stick around afterward to ride other trails--would you recommend renting a trail bike for maximum fun, or could I get by with a 120/100mm travel bike?

Thanks from Alaska!
    Hi Queen Bee! So glad you can make it to the Oz Trails Offroad! I am no expert but I am going to run Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 EXO front and Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 EXO rear for the Offroad. I've had good luck with Maxxis EXO line on these trails.

I've run the Ardent Race / Ikon combo a lot but now I want to try something with more bite in the loose stuff, hence the Forekaster out front.

You can definitely get around great with a 120/100mm travel bike. No need to rent anything with more travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok I've decided on Vittoria Barzo TNT G+ Graphene tires for this one, 29x2.35 (which actually measure closer to 2.25 on 23mm rims) and bringing along some plugs for good luck. I've raced that combo the last few months in various conditions and it's good all around, the G+ Graphene reinforcement definitely adds 50-60g per tire but sounds like it's worth it for this one.

Looks like they'll have Tailwind at the sag stops which is sweet, I was planning on bringing 2 bottles and bags of Infinit Nutrition to refill but I'll probably be ok with Tailwind as long as they're not mixing it super thin (their "serving size" is 100cal).

With this being the inaugural event it's tough for me to guess what kind of finish times to plan on with a new course, I guess I'll plan on 5-6hrs and be pleasantly surprised if it's quicker. Doesn't look like any long sustained climbs, maybe 20 mins max? I'll go with my little ring, doesn't look like any long flat sections where a 36t would be advantageous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Ok I've decided on Vittoria Barzo TNT G+ Graphene tires for this one, 29x2.35 (which actually measure closer to 2.25 on 23mm rims) and bringing along some plugs for good luck. I've raced that combo the last few months in various conditions and it's good all around, the G+ Graphene reinforcement definitely adds 50-60g per tire but sounds like it's worth it for this one.

Looks like they'll have Tailwind at the sag stops which is sweet, I was planning on bringing 2 bottles and bags of Infinit Nutrition to refill but I'll probably be ok with Tailwind as long as they're not mixing it super thin (their "serving size" is 100cal).

With this being the inaugural event it's tough for me to guess what kind of finish times to plan on with a new course, I guess I'll plan on 5-6hrs and be pleasantly surprised if it's quicker. Doesn't look like any long sustained climbs, maybe 20 mins max? I'll go with my little ring, doesn't look like any long flat sections where a 36t would be advantageous.
    I have seen other guys run the Vittoria Mezcal tires with success so I think that's a great pick.

In terms of climbing check out the Trailfork map below... you'll see a steady diet of 100ft - 200ft climbs followed by downhills of the same length. If you can relax yourself on the downhills and recover a bit before the next climb that is really helpful to maintaining a steady effort!

https://www.trailforks.com/route/oz-...2018-7342/map/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah I'm all about 200' climbs after racing in CO last month...climbing for 1hr+ over and over just about killed this flatlander.

Side note: the cabin I was staying in just fell through, anybody know a good campsite nearby they recommend? I'll be in Bentonville for the whole week it looks like, hope to get to ride some after work midweek.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm all about 200' climbs after racing in CO last month...climbing for 1hr+ over and over just about killed this flatlander.

Side note: the cabin I was staying in just fell through, anybody know a good campsite nearby they recommend? I'll be in Bentonville for the whole week it looks like, hope to get to ride some after work midweek.
    Blowing Springs is in Bella Vista camp wise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Blowing Springs is in Bella Vista camp wise.
    +1

Blowing Springs campsite is right next to Blowing Springs trails, Back 40, and 2 miles south is Slaughter Pen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Perfect, just booked a spot there for the week. Should be fun👍

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Rode 20 miles of the course yesterday... can best be described as "LooseAF". It's been really dry here. The course is great though... Back 40 feels very flowy. Also my friend flatted his Maxxis EXO tire on a sharp rock. Bring your tubes!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Rode 20 miles of the course yesterday... can best be described as "LooseAF". It's been really dry here. The course is great though... Back 40 feels very flowy. Also my friend flatted his Maxxis EXO tire on a sharp rock. Bring your tubes!!
    Rode Coler Preserve yesterday and I'll agree, definitely loose. Going to try and hit Ledges and Flo Ride this week before the race, rain on the forecast for Saturday should make the pro race Sunday interesting.

Got new graphene reinforced tires, 4oz of Orange seal in each, tire plugs, CO2's and a spare tube. Combine that with some good line choices, luck and a prayer and I'll minimize the amount of time fixing flats on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Honestly itís so dry that we could get a nice rain storm on Saturday and the course would be dry again by Sunday (excluding spots that build up water).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Rode a bit of back 40 and Flo Ride yesterday, not too bad just little climbs and descents. All pretty loose but at least you know what you're getting. Saw Geoff Kabush and one of the girls from Pivot out there pre riding too. Should be a good show Friday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Forecast doesn't look promising and seems to change by the hour. This morning it said 80% chance of Tstorms Saturday and Sunday. At noon 50% both days. Just now, 50% Saturday, 80% Sunday. Just how muddy would it get if there were some Tstorms with heavy rain during the event Saturday? At home trails, it would be unrideable if any significant rain due both to limestone which gets very slick and mud that clogs drivetrains and wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Forecast doesn't look promising and seems to change by the hour. This morning it said 80% chance of Tstorms Saturday and Sunday. At noon 50% both days. Just now, 50% Saturday, 80% Sunday. Just how muddy would it get if there were some Tstorms with heavy rain during the event Saturday? At home trails, it would be unrideable if any significant rain due both to limestone which gets very slick and mud that clogs drivetrains and wheels.
    There would be slick rocks to watch out for. In terms of muddiness I donít think it will be bad unless it rains a TON. These trails dry pretty quick.

Honestly Iím not too worried about the rain. The weather forecasters always seem to over estimate the rain. Better than 90 degree heat I say!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just got back to South FL from Bentonville, such an awesome race. Tire setup worked perfectly (Vittoria Barzo Graphene G+ TNT ~740g), went into the woods top 50 and saw a ~20 Maxxis EXO's flatted throughout the day in front of me, dumped rain for a bit but that just made the trails faster. Course was a great blend of rocks, berms, jumps, rocks, climbs, rocks, doubles, and some sharp rocks. Finished way ahead of my projected 6hr pace in just under 5 hrs, could have probably pushed harder in the middle but oh well. Didn't get to stick around for the pro race sunday but it looks like the Maxxis EXO trend I noticed continued. Grotts was running Grid in the rear and Control front, I think he had a flat too. Payson had 5 flats, JB about the same? This course might be on the Downieville level of tire carnage...Super well supported and organized event, I'll write more later but overall it was fantastic.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just got back to South FL from Bentonville, such an awesome race. Tire setup worked perfectly (Vittoria Barzo Graphene G+ TNT ~740g), went into the woods top 50 and saw a ~20 Maxxis EXO's flatted throughout the day in front of me, dumped rain for a bit but that just made the trails faster. Course was a great blend of rocks, berms, jumps, rocks, climbs, rocks, doubles, and some sharp rocks. Finished way ahead of my projected 6hr pace in just under 5 hrs, could have probably pushed harder in the middle but oh well. Didn't get to stick around for the pro race sunday but it looks like the Maxxis EXO trend I noticed continued. Grotts was running Grid in the rear and Control front, I think he had a flat too. Payson had 5 flats, JB about the same? This course might be on the Downieville level of tire carnage...Super well supported and organized event, I'll write more later but overall it was fantastic.
    My wife raced on Aspens with Nube tire inserts. Those things are incredible, they make light tires durable. No flats for the day and 2nd only 13s off the W.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had a great time as well. Amazing weekend. Achieved my goal of sub 5 hours.

pinkpowa, glad you liked our trails!!

I had 2 punctures on my Maxxis Forkaster EXO front that plugs fixed. One puncture on my Conti Cross King rear that a plug also fixed. Lost about 6 mins on all that, but I can't complain!

I'm done with Maxxis EXO. Just not tough enough for our sharp rocks in NW Arkansas.

Saw so many flats. Felt bad for the pros who flatted out.

I think the rain made all the sharp rocks even more dangerous. I think the wetness allows the rocks to penetrate past the lugs into the carcass of your tire. Just my opinion.

LMN, congrats to your wife and noted that the tire inserts worked well for her!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    My wife raced on Aspens with Nube tire inserts. Those things are incredible, they make light tires durable. No flats for the day and 2nd only 13s off the W.
    Didn't get to stick around for the Sunday race but she looked great Friday, had some great power to setup Nash for the win.

I was wondering if anybody was running inserts. I talked to the local bike shop and they said they ran Maxxis Double Down casing for riding the Ledges and still regularly flatted. I don't get on with Maxxis rubber but it got my attention. I've got so many 1/4-1/2" slices in my rear tire but nothing went all the way through, ran same tire pressure I run in south FL sugar sand and that felt better than a normal hardpack pressure, might have helped with flats too. Figured it's easier to cut a taught rope than a slack one?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just started running the Nube tire inserts and have been blown away their performance. Only adds 50grams per wheel, but the performance gains are huge.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Didn't get to stick around for the Sunday race but she looked great Friday, had some great power to setup Nash for the win.

I was wondering if anybody was running inserts. I talked to the local bike shop and they said they ran Maxxis Double Down casing for riding the Ledges and still regularly flatted. I don't get on with Maxxis rubber but it got my attention. I've got so many 1/4-1/2" slices in my rear tire but nothing went all the way through, ran same tire pressure I run in south FL sugar sand and that felt better than a normal hardpack pressure, might have helped with flats too. Figured it's easier to cut a taught rope than a slack one?
    Yep. That is the advantage of insert they protect you from rim impacts which allows low pressure which help prevent slices and puncture flats. And the insert provides support so tire doesn't collapse under high corner loads and G-outs.

I just ordered a bunch and will be running them year round on all my bikes.

Formerly of Kent
    Got a link, Keith?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had a great time as well. Amazing weekend. Achieved my goal of sub 5 hours.

pinkpowa, glad you liked our trails!!

I had 2 punctures on my Maxxis Forkaster EXO front that plugs fixed. One puncture on my Conti Cross King rear that a plug also fixed. Lost about 6 mins on all that, but I can't complain!

I'm done with Maxxis EXO. Just not tough enough for our sharp rocks in NW Arkansas.

Saw so many flats. Felt bad for the pros who flatted out.

I think the rain made all the sharp rocks even more dangerous. I think the wetness allows the rocks to penetrate past the lugs into the carcass of your tire. Just my opinion.

We must have been close together at some point in the day, I see you were only 8 mins ahead of me finish time. I was shooting for sub 6 so I was definitely pleased. Rain packed it down nice and we were just flying.

RE: Maxxis EXO - I was just watching what brands I saw when I was passing people and there were an abundance of yellow maxxis logos from what I saw. Afterwards I was chatting with a friend and shared my observation, from then on when people came across the line and talked about flats, inevitably we'd look and they were running Maxxis EXO casing 9 times out of 10. If you want to try something different, the Vittoria TNT/ Graphene casing worked well for me and the 2 other people I know who ran them (including 2nd place Mens pro Luke Vrouwenvelder).

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I definitely want to try something different. I have the Vittoria Morsa TNT G+ on my trail bike and those tires have been bombproof, but are 1100ish grams.

So you think the TNT/Graphene is stronger than EXO? Is there a weight penalty? Last I checked the Maxxis and comparable Vittoria were about the same weight.

I was also looking at the WTB Rangers 2.25 with the TOUGH casing, but those are around 870g.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I definitely want to try something different. I have the Vittoria Morsa TNT G+ on my trail bike and those tires have been bombproof, but are 1100ish grams.

So you think the TNT/Graphene is stronger than EXO? Is there a weight penalty? Last I checked the Maxxis and comparable Vittoria were about the same weight.

I was also looking at the WTB Rangers 2.25 with the TOUGH casing, but those are around 870g.
    My Barzo TNT/G+ always come in 735-740g on my scale, non G+ are 670-680g. NOTE: 2.35 and 2.25 measure out exactly the same for Barzos in my experience (at 2.2ish), Mezcals are definitely wider in the wider size but Barzos aren't.

I've only run EXO Ikons once for a month, hated everything about them, gave them away to a new rider who needed something better than bald tires.

I shudder to think about 1100g tires, but I bet Howie/Payson/JB wish they had some on yesterday...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yep. That is the advantage of insert they protect you from rim impacts which allows low pressure which help prevent slices and puncture flats. And the insert provides support so tire doesn't collapse under high corner loads and G-outs.

What size Nube Tubeless do you run? On this website it says a 45 would be ideal for me with a 23mm rim and 2.2" tire.

https://endubikes.com/tienda/compone...-all-mountain/

mtbr member

I have never heard of these "Nube" style. Quick google search did not come up with much either. One friend of mine did Cushcore on his enduro bike. I don't want that weight and hassle on my XC bike, but it sounds like maybe you have found something that works, but is not too heavy. So spill the beans... Oh and I hope guys got a sponsor deal because you may start increasing their sales.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just orders some Nubes! Will post how they work once I get some miles on them.

LMN, would love feedback on how you make them work, like how much sealant and what pressures?

Thanks.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Link: https://endubikes.com/

Tgoods: I run 1 scoop of stans in the tire and have ridden as low as 16psi, usually running around 18psi. I am using the 45s.

I haven't been able to test it as much as I would like. Only had a single one to test but I did some really good testing on it. Installed it on a rim that I was ok with damaging, and put on a thin 170 TPI tire that had a couple plugs in it. I set the air pressure low and then smashed through rock gardens. No flats, no rim strikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I use Orange sealant. How many ounces is 1 scoop of Stanís?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use Orange sealant. How many ounces is 1 scoop of Stanís?

It is 60ml, so about 2 ounces.

jms
    mtbr member
    Those things are incredible, they make light tires durable.
    Yep. I've been playing around with the Pepi's tire noodles, and that's been one of my takeaways too.
    My Favorite Peeps:

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Got a link, Keith?

These are comparable:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/puncture-pr...75.c100623.m-1
    My Favorite Peeps:

Student of the Bike
    RE: Maxxis EXO - I was just watching what brands I saw when I was passing people and there were an abundance of yellow maxxis logos from what I saw. Afterwards I was chatting with a friend and shared my observation, from then on when people came across the line and talked about flats, inevitably we'd look and they were running Maxxis EXO casing 9 times out of 10. If you want to try something different, the Vittoria TNT/ Graphene casing worked well for me and the 2 other people I know who ran them (including 2nd place Mens pro Luke Vrouwenvelder).

I had 2 in my crew who flatted also. One was on a brand new Maxxis Ikon 2.25, and the other guy was on a brand new Specy S-works something or other. Both guys had catastrophic tears that ended their race.

I successfully complete the race without issue on 3" Chupa and Maxxis Chronicle.

Was a great event, we'll be back. Some of us with different tire setups.
    -CJB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Anyone know how to get endu site in english?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    I had 2 in my crew who flatted also. One was on a brand new Maxxis Ikon 2.25, and the other guy was on a brand new Specy S-works something or other. Both guys had catastrophic tears that ended their race.

I successfully complete the race without issue on 3" Chupa and Maxxis Chronicle.

Was a great event, we'll be back. Some of us with different tire setups.
    -CJB
    Sworks tires?!?! I'd be surprised if he made it 5 miles into the trail. Grotts ran the Control casing in front and GRID casing in the rear. I talked to Brad at Specialized and he mentioned their past issues with flats, but was hopeful that combo would work well. I think Grotts still had a front flat on that control casing. Grotts said it was like riding on arrowheads, which seems about right.

The course was awesome though, really great event. I know a few folks going up there for Outerbike in a few weeks, wish I could head back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    Anyone know how to get endu site in english?
    Use the translator in Google Chrome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just started to clean up my bike from Oz Trails and figured I'd count the cuts/gashes over 1/8" on each tire. 19 in the front, and 39 in the rear. None went all the way through, no sealant leaking and tires are still firm as when I left Arkansas. Glad I ran a ~750g tire for this one (Vittora Barzo 2.35 TNT/G+ coming in 740-745g).

2018 Oz Trail Off Road - Epic Rides comes east-ish!?!-img_20181011_142208.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Dang that is a testament to Vittoria tires!!

I really think the wetness made all the rocks slicker!

ccm
    aka Taprider
    With the Nubes or Pepi's tire inserts, do you use a non snake-skin or otherwise tougher sidewall tire?
    Also can you go a size narrower, such as 2.25 to 2.1"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice! Geoff looked good Friday and definitely got caught out on that move in the Crit along with Payson then nobody wanted to chase. I bet you'll see some different Sunday tire choices next year from all the contenders.

I put a long post on my blog ( https://blog.bikeminded.com/epic-rid...50-race-recap/ ) but my general thoughts were as follows:
    • 28t ring was a good choice again, paired with the Sram 10-42t 11 speed. I can definitely see the advantage of SRAM Eagle 10-50t though for sure. Having enough top end to hold with a group on the road at 30mph but also to enough low end to grind up 20% grades is where a 500% range shines.
    • Vittoria G+ tires are truly impressive. I went back last week and counted slices/cuts over 1/8": 19 front and THIRTY NINE in the rear. Zero went through, no sealant showing, still holding air today 2 weeks later. After passing so many other riders on different brands, I know which tire Iíll pick for my next trip to somewhere with sharp pointy things.
    • Keeping positive when the rain started helped a good bit, I could have gotten bummed out about it but it was actually really fun (and made the course faster I think). As far rain as increasing the number of flats I'm not sure, talking to the pros during the week they were getting flats in pre rides in really innocuous areas. Maxxis EXO didn't seem to work, Specialized GRID worked for Grotts out back, tough to find XC tread with burly DH casing on the market like Geoff said.
    • Sharp punchy climbs are a little easier for us flatlanders as thatís all we usually see, I felt much better on these than the long grinding climbs Iíve raced in NC and CO.
    • Being closer to sea level and decently humid made me feel right at home, no issues with recovering after big efforts.
    • Also check out 8th Street Market as a cool place to work/hang during the day.

Overall if you're thinking about doing this race: book it. It's a great course run by people who know what they're doing. Bring burly rubber, XC bike is fine, climbs are all short and manageable and DH was insanely fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great write-up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    As a local who rode the 25 mile "fun ride," my only issue with the course is that much of it was set up to run the opposite of best flow. From coming UP All American and Angus Chute to, on the fun ride, running the wrong way on Rago... a lot of it was the opposite of the way I generally consider fun and flowy. Meanwhile, we descended gravel and concrete at the beginning of the ride.

Not a big deal, but it made me hope that people actually got to stick around and ride trails other than the actual course, because there's so much more fun stuff to ride in the area and more fun ways to ride it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys! I was fortunate enough to get to spend a few days in Bentonville leading up to the race so I got to ride most of these trails in different ways during pre riding. I could definitely see how some flow better one way than another, but having setup race courses before I know the struggle of getting a good course with flow and makes it interesting for visitors and locals alike.

Did anybody see Lance on course? I didn't know he was racing until I heard about it afterwards, too bad he did the 35 instead of the 50. I'd have loved to see how he fared on the Ledges and stacking up against the pros the next day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    As a local who rode the 25 mile "fun ride," my only issue with the course is that much of it was set up to run the opposite of best flow. From coming UP All American and Angus Chute to, on the fun ride, running the wrong way on Rago... a lot of it was the opposite of the way I generally consider fun and flowy. Meanwhile, we descended gravel and concrete at the beginning of the ride.

Not a big deal, but it made me hope that people actually got to stick around and ride trails other than the actual course, because there's so much more fun stuff to ride in the area and more fun ways to ride it.
    Yeah I think that is good feedback for the post race survey.

As a local I felt like the course design was brilliant for the 50. Back 40 is designed to run well in both directions, so there are always some compromises but I think they did a great job planning it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I did the 35, really enjoyed the race. I ran Maxxis Ardent Race tires (exo) with about 28 psi (instead of usual 24-25) and did not have a flat (could see several places where my Stans sealed cuts). This was my third trip to Bentonville and have managed to avoid flats on every trip. A good friend of mine who did the race got a flat with the same tires but at lower pressures. I don't think there is a lightweight xc-ish tire that is flat proof on that course.