Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Dirty Kanza 200 Thread

So who's in?

This will be my first year. Need others to discuss tire selection, psi, and training.

Sincerely,
    Frightened in NorCal
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm in- first time for me as well. I'm either doing Maxxis Ikons or Overdrive Elite... depending on whether I ride the MTB or CX bike. Training is lots of riding and at least one trip to Kansas for recon. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone and just ride to Kansas.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    In for the first time also.

Training for me will consist of intervals on the trainer 3 days a week until the weather improves then 2 days a week once I can ride outside 3 days a week. Outside rides will largely be 1-2 hours after work in the very hilly wildlife refuge after work; comprised of gravel and jeep roads with some unkept single track to improve my confidence riding the cross bike in what can truly be called off road.

Plan for tires at the moment is 700X35 Stan's Ravens tubeless on Alpha 400 rims.I have a couple of early gravel events coming up; should give me a pretty good idea if the tire and I can handle the mutual pounding. With the exception of our gravel (South East) is mostly limestone and at least proverbially isn't as sharp.

mtbr member
    It sounds like wider is better for tire selection. I will probably roll with the widest that my cross bike will take. From what I have read, the flint rock will slice any tire regardless of how heavy duty.

Its like summer here with the drought in CA, so at least I can get some good base miles in.

JD1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The majority of participant use cross bikes so 33mm tires is about all you need.

mtbr member
    I'm using a 2004 Felt F1X with 33c tires. Not sure on the tire choice yet but the man who has won it numerous times uses Clement LAS Tires. I'm torn between them and the Kenda Happy Medium.

Dan also is tubeless and I plan on converting my CX bike soon. I will be pre-riding some of the course as soon as the weather cooperates.

I live only an hour from Emporia, KS so I know some of the area where the race will be held. Some of the hills over near Alma and Eskridge where the race has went before are real lungbusters!

This will be my first time riding this event as well. I have yet to even ride a century. I am signed up for the whole 207mi and I am also doing the Land Run 100 in Stillwater, OK in March. A precursor to the DK200 of 100miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    The majority of participant use cross bikes so 33mm tires is about all you need.
    I wouldn't be so quick to assume that folks on cross bikes are riding the same tires they might race cross on. The reason folks can get away with cross bikes at DK is because most of them are running the biggest tires their frames will handle.

If your cross bike will handle 40s, DO IT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to assume that folks on cross bikes are riding the same tires they might race cross on. The reason folks can get away with cross bikes at DK is because most of them are running the biggest tires their frames will handle.

If your cross bike will handle 40s, DO IT.
    I'm riding a CX bike because mine is 18lbs vs my 28lb hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    I'm riding a CX bike because mine is 18lbs vs my 28lb hardtail.
    Whaaat?? 28 lbs? Yikes!

Unless you're a early 20-something uber racer competing for a podium, you're gonna want the biggest tires your CX bike will take.

mtbr member
    Whaaat?? 28 lbs? Yikes!

Unless you're a early 20-something uber racer competing for a podium, you're gonna want the biggest tires your CX bike will take.
    Ya I don't ride a carbon bike 26" (alum) is 28 maybe 27lb and my 29'er SS is about 28.8-29 3120cromo steel bike might be lighter since I put newer wheels on it.

mtbr member
    Also I'll be 30 at race day and not a uber racer lol. Not real sure on the biggest tire it will take I bought the bike used this winter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Just realized my wife's hybrid has 38c knobby tires. Gonna see if they will fit in the frame of the cx bike soon.

Dirty South Underdog
    Whaaat?? 28 lbs? Yikes!

I have a chance at that.

The podium... not the 20-something thing. The fastest female endurance racers are generally of the older variety, anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good discussion of DK topics here on the Riding Gravel forum. 58 replies to the thread discussing it: Dirty Kanza 200 - The Riding Gravel Forum

mtbr member
    Sweet! Thanks for posting!

jct
    mtbr member
    in for the half pint. running Clement MSO 40s on my CX race bike.

I'll probably run some sort of frame bag to hold fluids etc. and a bento box for snacks. I hope to not wear anything on my back.

mtbr member
    I purchased a Relevate Designs Tangle today. I too wish to get things off my back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rynoman03; 02-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    I purchased a Relevate Designs Tangle today. I too wish to get things off my back.

i've been looking at that one too. post back with some initial impressions once you get some time with it.

mtbr member
    Will do! I just picked up a Specialized Dirt Bag seat bag to compliment it. Looks like it is going to work out real well. My friend has the exact same setup and loves it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i've been looking at that one too. post back with some initial impressions once you get some time with it.

No need to wait for rynoman03's impressions, there are oodles of crazy positive reviews of the various Relevate Designs bags out there online already.

mtbr member
    I'll tell you one thing I did a 60mi this weekend with the Relevate Designs mountain feedbag and really loved it. The side pockets were great for trash and map storage when folded up.

jct
    mtbr member
    3 weeks out and counting.....

mtbr member
    Oh, yeah. I almost forgot.

Seriously though, I am a little nervous about the non-marked course. I picked up a map/cue sheet holder and plan on running an extra Garmin 500 just with the course. There is a lot more turns over the 200 miles than I was expecting.

jct
    mtbr member
    EB...what's your hydration setup looking like?

i'm only in for the 100, but i think i'll be running 2 bottles with a hydration bladder in a frame bag.

mtbr member
    Plan is to start with 2 bottles and throw on a small Camelbak after the first aid station and will probably keep that on for the rest of the race. When I say small, holds 2 bottles and nothing else.

I did get advice to run 2 bottles and one in a jersey pocket, but I can't stand having a bottle in my pocket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    EBrider - I too will be sporting a Garmin and a cue sheet holder as well. This ride really snuck up fast on me!! Definitely didn't get the miles in that I had originally planned. This will be strictly a survival ride this year.

mtbr member
    I hear ya. I can't remember are you doing the full thing or just the half pint. I originally signed up for the Full Meal Deal but downgraded myself to the Half Pint.

I hem hawed around about tires and finally bought some Schwable Marathon Mondals. 700x40c in the front and 700x35c in the back for my cross bike. A mechanic at my bike shop is running these himself for the DK so I figure if he trusts em I will give them a go as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Almost done with preps. Got a hillier 75-mile race in the books and doing a 50 mile hilly ride on Sat. Running 700x40 WTB Nano Race. For hydration, 2 water bottles + 70oz camelbak. May run a 3rd bottle if it looks extra warm. Not too worried about the course after having run it last year. I'll keep the maps/cues with me in my camelbak and have the course preloaded on the GPS.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OUWxGuesser View Post
    Almost done with preps. Got a hillier 75-mile race in the books and doing a 50 mile hilly ride on Sat. Running 700x40 WTB Nano Race. For hydration, 2 water bottles + 70oz camelbak. May run a 3rd bottle if it looks extra warm. Not too worried about the course after having run it last year. I'll keep the maps/cues with me in my camelbak and have the course preloaded on the GPS.
    Rain forecast for the next week in emporia. Can any locals or former racers chime in regarding what to expect from the roads?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As a meteorologist, I'd say don't worry about rain chances yet. Our weather models still have tons of variability at that far out. Half of them have rain, half don't as of last night. If it does rain, it will vary on road. Some of the dirty min maintenance roads will get nasty. The more rocky roads will hold up fine.

jct
    mtbr member
    As a meteorologist, I'd say don't worry about rain chances yet. Our weather models still have tons of variability at that far out. Half of them have rain, half don't as of last night. If it does rain, it will vary on road. Some of the dirty min maintenance roads will get nasty. The more rocky roads will hold up fine.
    thanks for tips. i'll check in with you later. i guess i'll have a chance to drive around and ride some sections on friday too.

mtbr member
    Someone told me to feel free and check the weather before your flight, but still take everything you own because that doesn't mean anything. It must be a tough place to be a meteorologist.

mtbr member
    Ya they predict things and they never happen all the time here. Kansas weather is so hit and miss.

I got my bike setup with Schwalbe Marathon Mondals front and back today. While not tubeless any longer they seem to be an alright tire. I didn't think they slowed me down any.

I knocked out 77mi Monday on gravel NW of Topeka. ( Flint Hills North ) The gravel was great other than alot of new gravel put down which was kind of sketchy on the downhills.

This race crept up on me way to fast

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll post a forecast on Wed. Use to live in OK and I still storm chase, so I'm pretty well versed in weather in KS A few days out we should have a pretty good idea what's going on unless there is a pronounced threat for thunderstorms (more local in nature!). Also hit up some gravel yesterday- that fresh gravel is killer, but good for training. All I can think is at least the flint hill gravel is nicer than the large chunky stuff they put down fresh.

If I had to make a forecast today- I'd say low probability of rain/storms, Race start: 65, High of 85, and a stiff wind out of the S/SE.

We'll see how that changes from now till Wed. lol.

mtbr member
    On my way Wed. Any good bbq recommendations in KC? Driving to Emporia Thursday morning.

FedEx managed to drop my bike off the top of a truck running down the freeway at 80mph, but high gear cyclery has it under control. Can't wait to be there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Help! My support crew resigned. The support service is no longer available. Not sure how I will solve this issue. I know there are convenience stores.

Moo
    Albuquerque

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider View Post
    On my way Wed. Any good bbq recommendations in KC? Driving to Emporia Thursday morning.

FedEx managed to drop my bike off the top of a truck running down the freeway at 80mph, but high gear cyclery has it under control. Can't wait to be there.

EB, I'd check out Oklahoma Joe's at either the 47th Street & Mission location or the newer Leawood location. both offer up really consistently amazing BBQ. If you want to venture into the city, Arthur Bryant's has my favorite beef brisket sammich and fries that'll clog your arteries on demand. so good. Jack Stack BBQ restaurants for a more formal dinner with great Q. Danny Edwards BBQ is also one to check out on Southwest Blvd.

Can't wait to get home and eat some Q!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    EB, I'd check out Oklahoma Joe's at either the 47th Street & Mission location or the newer Leawood location. both offer up really consistently amazing BBQ. If you want to venture into the city, Arthur Bryant's has my favorite beef brisket sammich and fries that'll clog your arteries on demand. so good. Jack Stack BBQ restaurants for a more formal dinner with great Q. Danny Edwards BBQ is also one to check out on Southwest Blvd.

Can't wait to get home and eat some Q!
    Thanks. Debating the drive to Oklahoma Joe's or a walk over to Jack Stack's Country Club Plaza location. It might be nice to treat my crew (wife) to a higher end meal before heading over to Emporia for a long weekend of bikes.

National weather service forecast hasn't budged. 30% chance of showers and a high of about 85.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Weather models have been pretty consistent- Expect race start to be between 65-70F with light winds out of the SE. As day goes on, winds should pick up out of the SSE, but right now, maybe ~10mph or so. Not bad. High of ~83-85. The 30% of precip comes from some variability in our models. The European model (which has done really well as of late) has us dry for the entire event. The long range American model has some scattered storms developing 12-6pm. Winds will be weak aloft, so these shouldn't be severe (i.e. no tornadoes or large hail). Right now, I'm siding with the European model based off performance this year. Starting with tonight, our shorter range models will be covering race day, so should get a better idea of rain chances over the next day or two. I don't expect my wind/temperature forecast to change too much.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sticking with that forecast. Some chances of weak showers/storms during afternoon/evening, but nothing that looks too crazy. The weather models spit out ~1/10th inch of rain. What happens Friday afternoon should dicate race day. If we see some scattered storms/showers Fri, then I would plan on a few Sat. If nothing, then I would lower my chances. Will try and update with a final forecast Thur/Fri.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey, I think I went on that ride too!

mtbr member
    Jack Stack was great food, but I would love to stop for one of their bloody mary's on my way home Sun. Radius brewing had awesome food in Emporia, for a slightly healthier option.

OUWxGuesser, keep those updates coming. Everyone here seems to think we should be fine. Hope to see some of you out on the group ride tomorrow AM. I will be in a black and red Cushman and Wakefield kit.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sticking with the forecast- Race start ~63-66F High of 82-84F, light SE winds to start the race, picking up during the afternoon, but nothing too crazy. Precipitation chances still look marginal. If we do get rain, it should be hit and miss "garden variety" showers/storms. I don't foresee any issues with sloppy road conditions. Honestly, it looks like a pretty good race day, knock on wood! I'll be at the ride tomorrow AM- Clyde on a Salsa Vaya with an Arrogant Bastard beer jersey.

mtbr member
    That was a blast. I hope everyone got the results they were looking for. Lots of cool people around. I may be hooked on gravel grinding. Wish there were more opportunities out west.

OWE's forecast was right on the money. Good to meet you on Fri.

Now headed to KC airport via free state brewing. Looking forward to a much more comfortable southwest seat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Weather was great- Other than the last 20 miles, I felt really good on the bike. The bike, however, gave me a number of issues. The flat bug hit me bad. Early on, I got snakebite after crossing a small stream at a high rate of speed. Patch didn't hold, and I flatted again... that episode cost me 2mph in avg time to the Cottonwood Falls checkpoint (Half-pint).

I stopped just long enough to fill up fluids and eat a couple of assorted items. Less than 5 miles out I flatted again- the brand new tube decided to split along the seam randomly. Managed to patch that and decided to speed up the process using some precious CO2... well I blew the gasket off that, and I was back to the pump. I fiddled with tire pressure for the next few miles trying to get that where I wanted it. By mile 75 I was back into a groove and trying to make up time.

5 miles later, my rear shifting went wacky after hitting a rock. Almost like I dropped cable tension, even though the cable seemed to be OK. Rear cassette was stuck in the 3 highest gears which was no good! I rode a few miles manually shifting the rear cassette by holding the brifter in and pushing on the derailleur. Got tired of that, and I improvised by pulling the cable tighter such that my 3-4 available gears were at least located in the middle of the cassette. Finished the last 25 miles or so with that "solution". All I could think was how much I was b****ing about having a 2x3-4 bike while there are some crazy SS folks out there tearing up the hills.

Regardless of the issues, I managed to pull a sub 10-hr finish for the 110 miles. Actual riding time was something like 8:15. Would have been nice to get a 9hr finish but I'm just glad to beat my last year's time despite the mechanical issues. Signs of improvement in overall fitness!

Ironically, after hanging out at the finish line, I went back to the bike to find that once again- the tire was flat. Go figure!

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm home and finally feeling mobile. Here's my race report: brickhouseracing Ľ Dirty Kanza 200

jct
    mtbr member
    great times and a great event. I will be back!

ended up 17th in the Half Pint. I was in 10th place and then got a flat at mile 93 and watched 6 others catch and pass me. my 2 buddies took 2nd and 3rd in the half as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Finished @ 20:54:42 by the skin of my teeth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great day of gravel racing for sure, fast conditions. Iím a bit of an anomaly as far as set-up goes. I ride a Niner SIR 9 SS with 2.2 Stanís Ravens running about 23-25psi. I swear by the larger tire for comfort and flat prevention over a long day. I also donít need to worry about terrain, ruts, loose, deep gravel, I just ride it. Managed 1st in the half pint at 6:21, started bonking about 10 miles out and stopped in the Amercus Casey's for a Coke & ice water, then sugar bounced my way into the finish
    2014 Dirty Kanza 200 Thread-dk.jpg

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwilson View Post
    Great day of gravel racing for sure, fast conditions. Iím a bit of an anomaly as far as set-up goes. I ride a Niner SIR 9 SS with 2.2 Stanís Ravens running about 23-25psi. I swear by the larger tire for comfort and flat prevention over a long day. I also donít need to worry about terrain, ruts, loose, deep gravel, I just ride it. Managed 1st in the half pint at 6:21, started bonking about 10 miles out and stopped in the Amercus Casey's for a Coke & ice water, then sugar bounced my way into the finish
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DK.JPG 
Views:	1361 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	898687
    congrats dave. my 2 buddies finished second and third right behind you. at some point in the last 20 miles or so, one of them had to deuce real bad. I'm not sure if you were ahead or behind at that point. when you gotta go...you gotta go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast