Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

2014 Dirty Kanza 200 Thread

So who's in?

This will be my first year. Need others to discuss tire selection, psi, and training.

Sincerely,
    Frightened in NorCal
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

Dirty South Underdog
    I'm in- first time for me as well. I'm either doing Maxxis Ikons or Overdrive Elite... depending on whether I ride the MTB or CX bike. Training is lots of riding and at least one trip to Kansas for recon. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone and just ride to Kansas.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    In for the first time also.

Training for me will consist of intervals on the trainer 3 days a week until the weather improves then 2 days a week once I can ride outside 3 days a week. Outside rides will largely be 1-2 hours after work in the very hilly wildlife refuge after work; comprised of gravel and jeep roads with some unkept single track to improve my confidence riding the cross bike in what can truly be called off road.

Plan for tires at the moment is 700X35 Stan's Ravens tubeless on Alpha 400 rims.I have a couple of early gravel events coming up; should give me a pretty good idea if the tire and I can handle the mutual pounding. With the exception of our gravel (South East) is mostly limestone and at least proverbially isn't as sharp.

mtbr member
    It sounds like wider is better for tire selection. I will probably roll with the widest that my cross bike will take. From what I have read, the flint rock will slice any tire regardless of how heavy duty.

Its like summer here with the drought in CA, so at least I can get some good base miles in.

JD1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The majority of participant use cross bikes so 33mm tires is about all you need.

mtbr member
    I'm using a 2004 Felt F1X with 33c tires. Not sure on the tire choice yet but the man who has won it numerous times uses Clement LAS Tires. I'm torn between them and the Kenda Happy Medium.

Dan also is tubeless and I plan on converting my CX bike soon. I will be pre-riding some of the course as soon as the weather cooperates.

I live only an hour from Emporia, KS so I know some of the area where the race will be held. Some of the hills over near Alma and Eskridge where the race has went before are real lungbusters!

This will be my first time riding this event as well. I have yet to even ride a century. I am signed up for the whole 207mi and I am also doing the Land Run 100 in Stillwater, OK in March. A precursor to the DK200 of 100miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    The majority of participant use cross bikes so 33mm tires is about all you need.
    I wouldn't be so quick to assume that folks on cross bikes are riding the same tires they might race cross on. The reason folks can get away with cross bikes at DK is because most of them are running the biggest tires their frames will handle.

If your cross bike will handle 40s, DO IT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to assume that folks on cross bikes are riding the same tires they might race cross on. The reason folks can get away with cross bikes at DK is because most of them are running the biggest tires their frames will handle.

If your cross bike will handle 40s, DO IT.
    I'm riding a CX bike because mine is 18lbs vs my 28lb hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    I'm riding a CX bike because mine is 18lbs vs my 28lb hardtail.
    Whaaat?? 28 lbs? Yikes!

Unless you're a early 20-something uber racer competing for a podium, you're gonna want the biggest tires your CX bike will take.

mtbr member
    Whaaat?? 28 lbs? Yikes!

Unless you're a early 20-something uber racer competing for a podium, you're gonna want the biggest tires your CX bike will take.
    Ya I don't ride a carbon bike 26" (alum) is 28 maybe 27lb and my 29'er SS is about 28.8-29 3120cromo steel bike might be lighter since I put newer wheels on it.

mtbr member
    Also I'll be 30 at race day and not a uber racer lol. Not real sure on the biggest tire it will take I bought the bike used this winter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Just realized my wife's hybrid has 38c knobby tires. Gonna see if they will fit in the frame of the cx bike soon.

Dirty South Underdog
    Whaaat?? 28 lbs? Yikes!

I have a chance at that.

The podium... not the 20-something thing. The fastest female endurance racers are generally of the older variety, anyway.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Good discussion of DK topics here on the Riding Gravel forum. 58 replies to the thread discussing it: Dirty Kanza 200 - The Riding Gravel Forum

mtbr member
    Sweet! Thanks for posting!

jct
    mtbr member
    in for the half pint. running Clement MSO 40s on my CX race bike.

I'll probably run some sort of frame bag to hold fluids etc. and a bento box for snacks. I hope to not wear anything on my back.

mtbr member
    I purchased a Relevate Designs Tangle today. I too wish to get things off my back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rynoman03; 02-23-2014 at 07:29 AM.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    I purchased a Relevate Designs Tangle today. I too wish to get things off my back.

i've been looking at that one too. post back with some initial impressions once you get some time with it.

mtbr member
    Will do! I just picked up a Specialized Dirt Bag seat bag to compliment it. Looks like it is going to work out real well. My friend has the exact same setup and loves it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i've been looking at that one too. post back with some initial impressions once you get some time with it.

No need to wait for rynoman03's impressions, there are oodles of crazy positive reviews of the various Relevate Designs bags out there online already.

mtbr member
    I'll tell you one thing I did a 60mi this weekend with the Relevate Designs mountain feedbag and really loved it. The side pockets were great for trash and map storage when folded up.

jct
    mtbr member
    3 weeks out and counting.....

mtbr member
    Oh, yeah. I almost forgot.

Seriously though, I am a little nervous about the non-marked course. I picked up a map/cue sheet holder and plan on running an extra Garmin 500 just with the course. There is a lot more turns over the 200 miles than I was expecting.

jct
    mtbr member
    EB...what's your hydration setup looking like?

i'm only in for the 100, but i think i'll be running 2 bottles with a hydration bladder in a frame bag.

mtbr member
    Plan is to start with 2 bottles and throw on a small Camelbak after the first aid station and will probably keep that on for the rest of the race. When I say small, holds 2 bottles and nothing else.

I did get advice to run 2 bottles and one in a jersey pocket, but I can't stand having a bottle in my pocket.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast