Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Your Best Friend

2014 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo

Registration opens today.

Who's doing it?
    Have you done it before?
    What would you tell to someone who hasn't done this race before?

AZ
    banned
    Be prepared for any kind of weather including snow.

nobody
    I've done it 4 time previously, two as 4-man and two as duo.

This time I'll be rolling solo.

The course isn't very technical but it's a fun event.

The weather can be schizophrenic. Had rain in '05, nice and sunny in '07, snow in '08 and sunny again in '09.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Registration opens today.

Who's doing it?
    Have you done it before?
    What would you tell to someone who hasn't done this race before?
    10th year for me, 6th solo. It's by far the most fun race of the year. Course is 17 mile loop on about 3:1 single track to dirt road. About a 3 on the technical level, as lap times for the teams are low to mid 50s for the fast riders (to give you an idea of how fast they are going). Almost zero climbing (under 1K for the 17-mile loop).

The vibe of the race is like one I've never seen. Everybody is there to have fun, even the pros.

Despite the claims that the weather can be bad, of the 13 years, I can only recall one year where the rain made it impossible to ride. Yes, it did snow one year, but that was the Friday before the race, and was gone by race time. Wind can be bad some times, but nothing you can't over come.

The 24 hour town is the reason to go. Over 1,000 racers, 3,000 participants in the middle of nowhere. It's like Burning Man for bikers.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Despite the claims that the weather can be bad, of the 13 years, I can only recall one year where the rain made it impossible to ride.
    Good point!

Each time I've ridden it, everything was ride able and I remember all of the trails being in really good shape. The only bummer about the rain in '05 for our team was my buddy, Paul. Every time it was his turn it seemed like the rain picked up just a bit more than the rest of us
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Your Best Friend

Re: 2014 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo

I'm an experienced 24hr racer as is most of my team. We've never done this one before, somewhat because of the timing but mostly because it is more than 12 hours of driving for us. We are looking forward to it.

Can anyone compare it to the now extinct 24 hours of Moab? 18 hours of Fruita?

If we show up Friday around noon will we still find a camping spot? How do you bribe a local to mark one early for you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I'm an experienced 24hr racer as is most of my team. We've never done this one before, somewhat because of the timing but mostly because it is more than 12 hours of driving for us. We are looking forward to it.

Can anyone compare it to the now extinct 24 hours of Moab? 18 hours of Fruita?

If we show up Friday around noon will we still find a camping spot? How do you bribe a local to mark one early for you?
    I believe numbers wise, it's the biggest in the U.S. I have not done either Fruita or Moab, so don't know camping situation. At OP, it's pretty much first come, first serve. There is no real marked off spots. Some racers are selfish in taking up more space than necessary. But by race day, most are able to find a spot. If you show up Friday at noon, you'll find a nice spot. Maybe not a prime spot, but you should be fine. It starts to get crowded around 3 on Friday.

Your Best Friend

Re: 2014 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo

Thanks, that gives us a time to shoot for and it's definitely the kind of info I need.

mtbr member
    I'm in for solo male. First timer. Helped my daughter on a team last year and just had to do it this time. Unfortunately doing it solo means I will miss most of the party.

mtbr member
    In as a duo this year with another MTBRer. After 2 prior solo attempts I decided to change it up.

Fri AM will give you plenty of time to find a spot. After 5 on Friday people start to squeeze massive RVs and motorhomes way to close together.

Course is mellow, I've taken some beginners out on pre-rides and they have a blast. The only tech feature on the course has a bypass option.

A competitive 4 man will average just over an hour a lap.

Like others have said, be prepared for anything weather-wise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great race, easy course . Main issue Cactus and lots of it, it jumps out at you and holds on for dear life. Get one of the combs its a must. Also if you have sensitive eyes get googles that filter dust. when it gets windy its tough on the eyeballs. I think Tinker DNF last year because he could not see anymore.

Bike Snob
    I pretty much bring every piece of ride clothing I have, you never know what is going to happen.

Also, a camera is a must. The two best sunsets I have ever seen were at that race.

Your Best Friend
    Dust in the air always makes for a good sunset. It was that way every night in Iraq.

mtbr member
    I signed up for this year, I was hoping to go solo, but it sold out quickly. I'm in for duo and can't wait! Hope its sunny and in the 70s, but will be ready for any conditions! sounds like its a fun event.

Neil

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Wind! No one has mentioned the wind. I've seen tents blow away most years at OP. Bring good stakes or sandbags to hold down your EZ-up. One year (2011 I think it was) it was so windy on course I was blown sideways into a Barrel Cacti and had my foot stapled to it - good times always at OP!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i missed registration for 24 hours of old pueblo 2014 solo male. willing to buy an entry from someone. be willing to pay more. please please someone out there must be able to help me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i will do single speed solo male.......

Fat Biker
    You will do duo or 4person and like it.
    jk, good luck on buying a solo entry.

Sent from my mobile
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW View Post
    Wind! No one has mentioned the wind. I've seen tents blow away most years at OP. Bring good stakes or sandbags to hold down your EZ-up. One year (2011 I think it was) it was so windy on course I was blown sideways into a Barrel Cacti and had my foot stapled to it - good times always at OP!!
    Yeah, I forgot (or blocked out) about that year. I remember hearing about your cacti encounter, no bueno.

additionally, no talking about weather until the week of.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoracerX View Post
    You will do duo or 4person and like it.
    jk, good luck on buying a solo entry.

Sent from my mobile
    In '08 solo filled before I could get a spot so I signed up for coed duo and arranged for a friend (female non-GF) to partner. She bailed with less than a week before the event, so I just rode the whole thing.

Turns out I took third in duo coed with no partner. When I got called to the podium I told Todd that I had not had a partner ride any laps. He gave me the hairy eyeball and went to find who was fourth. There was a gal supporting me and her husband who was solo who had offered to take a lap for me in the morning, but I turned her down. She could have turned a nice fast lap too--coulda maybe took us up another place. By that time my 77-year-old mother could have ridden a lap faster than what I was turning...

Coed Duo is way, WAY faster now than it was then. I would have been 4 or 5 laps back from the coed duo podium last year...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Can we talk tires??? What do veterans of this race recommend? 2.3 width to stay on top of the sand?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbspicerider View Post
    Can we talk tires??? What do veterans of this race recommend? 2.3 width to stay on top of the sand?
    Go narrow. The course is very non-techy, and fast. 2.3 will slow you down.

mtbr member
    Sand?? It's all hardpack. You can get by without sidewall protection if you're careful. I've run sb8's f&r the last couple years

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, for the input on tires. Any other suggestions would help.

mtbr member

2014 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo

Quote Originally Posted by rmbspicerider View Post
    Thanks, for the input on tires. Any other suggestions would help.
    Have fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast