mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2013 Laramie Enduro

So who's in?

I entered the lottery unsure I would really do it, but now that I was chosen I suppose I will... let the training begin! Lucky for me I live "next door" to the trails so I can get nice and familiar. I still expect to be tortured fully and brutally, however...

mtbr member
    I am in,I think this will be my 10th.

Your Best Friend
    I put in for the lottery in 2010. Didn't get in. Checked out the waiting list and I was about 5 pages back. Wrote it off and made other plans. About a week out from the race, I get an email that says my number came up and I was now in if I wanted. Oh well. A day later, they sent out a mass email that said anyone who wanted in, was in. Double oh well and an eye roll thrown in for good measure. I'd still like to do this race someday though.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I put in for the lottery in 2010. Didn't get in. Checked out the waiting list and I was about 5 pages back. Wrote it off and made other plans. About a week out from the race, I get an email that says my number came up and I was now in if I wanted. Oh well. A day later, they sent out a mass email that said anyone who wanted in, was in. Double oh well and an eye roll thrown in for good measure. I'd still like to do this race someday though.
    So why not get onto the waiting list? You saw how deep it went last time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I entered the lottery for the first time in 2012 and got in. I had ridden in that area once while there for a football game and thought the trails were awesome so obviously I had extremely high expectations for the race. Several things about the race are truly top notch and I mean top notch (race check in was flawless, aid stations and volunteers amazing, post race attention to every racer, even the slow finishers like me was amazing, made me feel good even though I am sure the winners had came through hours prior and after party is pretty high on my list. The negatives in my opinion were the course was kind of a letdown, it seems that it was a ton of screaming fast smooth cobbly jeep road with some real nice single track thrown in here and there, just not enough. I am not that familiar with the area so maybe they utilized all of the singletrack that it has to offer but I was expecting more. The only other negative and it just a result of the location is the parking is a total $%^& show. I am surprised I got out of there without hitting another car or another person. All that said I would probably do again but out of all of the races I have done certainly not my number 1.

mtbr member
    In. Stoked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Foote30 View Post
    I am not that familiar with the area so maybe they utilized all of the singletrack that it has to offer but I was expecting more.
    There's a lot of trails that they don't utilize that are in the Happy Jack/Vedauwoo area, but I don't think any of it would measure up to 70 miles. There's no way to tie into Curt Gowdy without paved highways, so that option is out as well.

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    I've ridden and finished every Laramie Enduro, including the two that started in town. The race went on hiatus for a couple of years after the first two before being resurrected and evolving to the present form. I'm in again and will try and ride it/race it every year until I'm too old to make it through -- and I'll find that out on the course. Almost crashed out last year, but beat my bike back into rideable shape and the cracked rib didn't really start hurting (as long as I stayed seated) until the next day.

With respect to the course, it is what it is and doesn't pretend to be an all single track affair. I've always appreciated the extensive sections of gravel road and double track in the first 20 miles of the race -- never a problem of being in a crowd when the good sections of single track begin after about 30 miles, and being able to ride them at your speed (neither being held up or holding someone up) is a pleasure for a race this size. There's something to be said (and I think it's good) about grinding up a long exposed double track hill into the wind with the Wyoming sun bearing down on you (I'm thinking about that last stretch into the fourth aid station). There is more single track out there, but access to some of it is limited by USFS and some of it is just not appropriate to run hundreds of cyclists over. Revel in the great scenery (the rock formations in that area are just awesome), the superior organization, and the great volunteers.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in. Gulp. I've done the earlier versions from town (easier) and the latest version (not so easier). Need to start riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    I've ridden and finished every Laramie Enduro, including the two that started in town. The race went on hiatus for a couple of years after the first two before being resurrected and evolving to the present form. I'm in again and will try and ride it/race it every year until I'm too old to make it through -- and I'll find that out on the course. Almost crashed out last year, but beat my bike back into rideable shape and the cracked rib didn't really start hurting (as long as I stayed seated) until the next day.

With respect to the course, it is what it is and doesn't pretend to be an all single track affair. I've always appreciated the extensive sections of gravel road and double track in the first 20 miles of the race -- never a problem of being in a crowd when the good sections of single track begin after about 30 miles, and being able to ride them at your speed (neither being held up or holding someone up) is a pleasure for a race this size. There's something to be said (and I think it's good) about grinding up a long exposed double track hill into the wind with the Wyoming sun bearing down on you (I'm thinking about that last stretch into the fourth aid station). There is more single track out there, but access to some of it is limited by USFS and some of it is just not appropriate to run hundreds of cyclists over. Revel in the great scenery (the rock formations in that area are just awesome), the superior organization, and the great volunteers.
    I think you nailed it about the course

And LOL about beating the bike back into shape. Sounds like a good time!

My biggest worries are going to be keeping myself from going into race mode (there's no way I can "race" for 70 miles, so I just plan on riding it at a comfortable speed and finish - that's my goal, finishing!) early in the race, and remembering to eat and drink properly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Agreed it is a very good race. My family and I had a great experience at the race and in Laramie for the long weekend, first time back there since college! Everyone has an idea of what kind of race and or course they really relate to and this race just isn't mine. That said I would do it again.

In regards to avoiding race mode I can attest to that. I went out really hard for me at least and I was feeling pretty dang good about my time, then a guy at one of the aid stations put the fear of god in my about the last pending climb to get to the finish line and he wasn't joking. That last piece of trail really kicked my butt and I pretty much limped through the finish line. Good times!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm in! I've had some friends that enjoyed it so I figured I would give it a try. I guess I need to start training. Luckily I have an advantage of living in Laramie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm in, really looking forward to a mid-summer race where it's not blistering hot.....hopefully! I've heard really good things about this race, and really happy I got in the first try.

From what I understand this is a lot of fire road riding, interspersed with some singletrack? Sounds like it's right up my alley. I love riding singletrack, but when I'm racing I like to get around the slower people and let around the faster ones, a good mix of double track with some single track thrown in oughta provide just that. Good luck to all that got in and those on the wait list!

PeT
    Occasionally engaged…
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckle View Post
    From what I understand this is a lot of fire road riding, interspersed with some singletrack?
    That's pretty much correct. The "two track" ranges from authentic rough dirt two track to good gravel roads. The only real bottleneck is, unfortunately, just a half mile off the start -- you head up a legitimate climb on a gravel road for several hundred yards and then crunch down into a single track for about a half-mile before getting back on a gravel road. I've actually been the very last onto the single track off the start -- back when I was piloting a tandem with my daughter stoking (so she was actually last). I've also been third onto the single track when racing in the sport class (more or less sprinted the first climb). Not sure one way was better than the other. Last year they also did a greater number of staggered starts so the backup for anyone seemed minimal (or so I heard).
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckle View Post
    I'm in, really looking forward to a mid-summer race where it's not blistering hot.....hopefully! I've heard really good things about this race, and really happy I got in the first try.

From what I understand this is a lot of fire road riding, interspersed with some singletrack? Sounds like it's right up my alley. I love riding singletrack, but when I'm racing I like to get around the slower people and let around the faster ones, a good mix of double track with some single track thrown in oughta provide just that. Good luck to all that got in and those on the wait list!
    Hopefully it's not as hot as last summer, where we were seeing 90 degree temps at 8pm at night... but I don't necessarily want rain either. And no super wind, haha. OK, I know I'm asking for too much at this point...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anybody have a link to the competitor list?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I couldn't find anything on the website, but got to it by going through the link sent in the email for registration, and then all the competitors are listed out at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anyone know when registration opens for 2014? What are the chances of getting in. Super excited to give this one a go. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beltron2000 View Post
    Anyone know when registration opens for 2014? What are the chances of getting in. Super excited to give this one a go. Thanks
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Laram...474168?fref=ts
    From the FB page:
    "Laramie Enduro Racers and Volunteers Unfortunately, the lottery created considerably more work for me & others. Ultimately, it ended up costing the race money. Since we implemented the lottery, we've had pretty sharp declines in registration numbers. Unfortunate, but since our costs are increasing significantly this year, it was a move the board voted to make, at least this year. March 1st is still tentative, but a newsletter will be sent around Feb 20th with details.
    29 January at 22:29 · Like"

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks. No facebook for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It'll be interesting to see how fast it sells out... The lotto was good for Wyoming residents, as from what I've heard, all WY residents were granted automatic entry since we were the minority among the Colorado influx. Either way, I don't care as I'm not doing this race again... I just wanna see how fast it sells out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how fast it sells out... The lotto was good for Wyoming residents, as from what I've heard, all WY residents were granted automatic entry since we were the minority among the Colorado influx. Either way, I don't care as I'm not doing this race again... I just wanna see how fast it sells out!
    Not doing it again? I'm thinking of doing it this year, because it seems like a well-run event, with a nice bit of variety in the course.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gfinkle View Post
    Not doing it again? I'm thinking of doing it this year, because it seems like a well-run event, with a nice bit of variety in the course.
    The timing of it just doesn't work with the rest of my race season... mostly that it comes 1 week after XC MTB Nationals (and probably will continue to fall in that date range in years to come). I learned my lesson last year with that one... burnout + racing + 4000 or more miles in a car, throwing the LE on top of that was not a good idea. Nothing against the race at all, just the timing. Except for the fact there's an obsession with almonds at the aid station...