Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dirty South Underdog

2012 Ouachita Challenge

Ouachita Challenge
    Who's in? Registration has been open for <10 min and there are already 223 people registered for the Sunday race & about the same for the Saturday tour.

EDIT: Carey Lowery just showed up on the list... sh*t just got real!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Dirty South Underdog
    Damn- sold out in 18 minutes!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah I was totaly amazed that at less than 1 min after registration opened there were already 90+ people signed up.

Should be fun

xhx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If (like me) you blew through your 6 AM CST alarm and missed the registration, there's a thread on the Bike Arkansas forum for anyone looking for a slot. If you want to transfer yours I'm looking for one
    2011 Race Wait list in Ouachita Cycling Club Forum

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just was reading the wait list, here is the 2012, still boggled filled up so fast and this many already wanting spots. Cant wait, will be my first time doing this race.

2012 Ouachita Challenge Race Wait List in Ouachita Cycling Club Forum

Not dead yet, just playin
    To say BikeReg's site was acting flakey is an understatement. I don't think they were ready for the onslaught of 575 spots being taken in <18 minutes. I managed to get all but one of my gang registered, so, like a ton of other people we're on the lookout for a spot.

I dunno, I can't help but feel nostalgic about back-n-tha-day when the OC took months to sell out, if at all..Maybe it's time they move to a lottery like Leadville..Or at least move the registration opening back to 2am..
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Could do what some rich guy suggested and double the entry fee! Think he was in the 1%

Bicycle Addict
    Got a spot on the Saturday Tour. Shooting for 5:30. That's 30 minutes faster than last year.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Team Livemedium
    In. Livemedium folks!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Its the tour for me. Im super excited and ready to start training. Im from Jonesboro, will riding craighead forest be enough to get me ready?

Ive got a buddy needing a spot in thr tour.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep... missed it by a few minutes as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am in for the Sunday race. I have never done a 60 mile race and am a flatlander. I actually started a good training program, yesterday. Here goes nothing!

Dirty South Underdog
    You'll be fine- my advice (as long as they're running the course the same way as the last two years) is to take it easy at the start/first 3 mountains on the Ouachita trail so that you aren't dead when you get down the road section to the Womble.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just show up and do both days. Remember your time and you'll know where you would've placed. Fun riding for free with all those people!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bartman601 View Post
    Just show up and do both days. Remember your time and you'll know where you would've placed. Fun riding for free with all those people!
    riding a pay event for free is bad juju.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Why? If I go there and ride, not going to was unimpressed with the race last year, and don't use aide stations, or otherwise inhibit the race what's the problem?

Really, I don't get what you mean. Bad juju is having the organizer add a bunch of time to your result because the people at the start finish forgot to write down your time and when you email him the info to get the actual result, still not a very good placing, he goes ahead and adds about an hour to the time you gave him.

No, not hypothetical, it is what happened to me.

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by scarkinsmel View Post
    Really, I don't get what you mean.
    By "bad juju," he's trying to put it politely that, even if you don't use the aid stations or get in anyone's way, it's a dick move... based soley on basic principals and etiquette that people who aren't ***** follow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    By "bad juju," he's trying to put it politely that, even if you don't use the aid stations or get in anyone's way, it's a dick move... based soley on basic principals and etiquette that people who aren't ***** follow.
    Succinctly and perfectly written response, Andrea.

No one but a dick picks the only day of the year that a race is scheduled to ride a particular trail system.

Bb
    Yeah well, that's just, ya' know, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yes, yes. I understand exactly what was meant by dirtdirt223. I also know the trails aren't closed for the race, I also know that I personally wouldn't ride them while the race was going on.

I am pointing out that while not exactly the best idea, I have no clue how one could get bad Ju Ju for riding on a race course.

Glad you both apparently love this race and feel it is the personal domain for the racers on the day of the race, it doesn't belong to the racers. Other trail users can and were out there when I raced, I guess they are ***** too....

have a great night, perhaps there is bad Ju Ju for name calling.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree with Andrea on JuJu comment and add the old adage, "what comes around goes around". My experience with Ouachita scoring is that they are quick to post the times and are open to correction. Your experience must be old, they have improved it over the years and changed the finish line.
    As you finish you get a numbered card with the time on it for you to fill out. It is your responsibility to get the card and turn it in. After the record the card, it is posted on a wall for all to see. There are no age group trophies but great door prizes. The community welcomes the event and cheers everyone on. They also open the school the before and feed us before, during, and after. It's all about the ride and bragging rights.
    Unicoi29

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Now as for the flatlander that opened this topic, get out and train on the mtb doing long distances and find some hills if you want to finish before the cut offs. There are people that don't finish. You need to know that your seat won't chafe you on long rides and you need to practice your nutrition and hydration. You also need to develop your leg muscles to handle climbs because there are climbs. You will not make cut offs if you think you can just walk the hills, they're bigger then that. The finish line is a on a hill. You also need to be comfortable with riding position while climbing, know your bike will shift in climbs and how to handle the bike if you stall on a climb. Also, begin watching weather reports two weeks prior and try to have fun. Finally, make sure your bike has been tuned up at least two weeks prior so you can control what you can control. And be sure to have fairly new tires and fresh Stans if you run tubeless.
    Unicoi29

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @kamakazeesugar, I think that you are talking to me. Thanks for your input. Currently, my longer rides are on the weekends and progress in time in saddle as it gets closer to April 1st. I plan on taking a trip or two between now and April and ride the first 2 or 3 climbs to know what to expect.

I definately need to figure out the nutrition/hydration part for the race. During a 1.5 hr ride yesterday at a semi-technical trail with small climbs that are speed bumps compared to this race, I drank about 20 oz of water/Infinit mix and was started to work up an appetite. I don't know how close the aid stations are or what type of grub they have there but it looks like I am going to need to bring a whole bag of drink mix and several sandwiches! I also plan on doing a 4 hr race this month and in Feb and maybe in March just so I can practice my hydration/nutrition. These will be just training races for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sounds like some good planning. Infinit is the best. If I recall there are at least three stocked aid stations, maybe a fourth. The first one I remember is early, most riders skip it. They usually have fruit, pbj, water, and Heed. There are always plenty of workers helping at the aid stations.
    Unicoi29

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It happened last year. The volunteer who took my time, walked over to me while talking to her friends who were laughing and talking about whatever. Got all my info and I asked "you have my time? You don't need anything else? You sure? Seems a little weird. You have it right?" She replied, "Yes". I was listed as a DNF.

As for open to correcting mistakes, well at least they added me to the finishers. As for improvement, can't comment to that. Only did one, heard about rocks found about three on the course.

I still don't get what would actually "Come around". I mean, and this is exactly what I mean, the course is not closed, the course in on public land, it is not the private domain of the people racing on the day of the race, if by being a dick you mean riding trails that are open to the public trails open to EVERYONE on the day of the race then you need to rethink riding at all. I personally wouldn't ride the trails the day of the race.

The venom you folks seem to have toward people you have never ridden with, know or have any clue about is always a surprise to me. Another thing that is always shocking is the lack of reading comprehension on these boards. Andrea opened the thread to say she got in, the flatlander he/she is the 12th post.....

I am not going to give my personal impressions of the race proper, but aside from the problem at the finish the volunteers were helpful and kind. Again, "comes around"?

My time was altered a lot by helping two people and stopping on the final climb, when I was out of tubes to help a guy from Oklahoma to get to the end by pumping up his rear tire twice while we rode to the final aid station. What I somehow got what "comes around" by helping other racers finish while I witnessed gobs of the other racers roll by not saying a word or checking if the people I was helping needed anything. Then I guess I will have to keep getting what comes around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just wanted to bump this back up and see how everyone is doing on training. As the time draws closer I get more and more nervous. Ive been wearing the local 10 mile loop out. My speed seems to be ok but I havent done any long rides. I plan to get on my old road bike and do my distance training. I still have a friend looking to get into the tour on saturday, If anyone knows of a spot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast