Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2007 KTR Update

27K views 177 replies 50 participants last post by  vzman 
#1 ·
Here's the update: there ain't gonna be one.

To all those that have called, emailed, and PM'ed me about this: Please, stop. I'm truly glad that the race captured your imagination and made you suffer and see god and all that. It was a great race. But my involvement in it has come to an end.

No amount of pleas, offers to build a website, offers to have your SO police the course, offers to register a domain name, offers to provide coffee and donuts at the start, etc... will make any difference.

I enjoyed the race for the few years I ran it, but I'm now happily moving on to other things.

Here's an idea: if you want the race to happen, organize it. That's all it takes, mostly.

Cheers,

MC

#105 ·
I just got back from riding Loma to Onion Creek. It was good to get out and see the course, changed my water strategy thinking.

I ran into EnduroDoug on Saturday while I was back-tracking in the rain/hail because I turned around because of a barb-wired gate. There are a few of these gates, hope you don't come up on the one a little beyond Fish Ford in the dark and with no clue that it's coming up; it's a high speed approach.

Doug and I rode together all the way to Onion Creek, I had to bail out to 128 to get back to Denver and he was going to camp and finish today, lots of snow had fallen and was visible from his campsite off of Onion Creek.

IIRC the elevation gains Doug had on his GPS were:
Loma - Westwater: ~1800'
Westwater to Onion Creek Rd.: ~6000'
Now that I look at those I think I could be way off in my memory.

One last note, we rolled through the sheep herd and only saw one sheepdog (looked like a white St. Bernard) and he wasn't aggressive, he just watched us while sitting in the middle of the road. No aggressive dog encounters so far this year.

#106 ·
One other thing I think is worth noting.

With the direction change this year it will be harder for people to bail out. Cell phone reception is basically non-existent on the 2nd half of the course. If you bail out, you still have some riding to do to get to a ride or cell phone reception.

I wonder if this will increase the finishing rate as people will not be able to reach their rides and just think "Oh well, just keep truckin then."

When I got down Onion Creek Rd. I tried to make a call on my way towards I-70; basically I had no/very poor reception until I was just inside the Colorado border. I have Verizon and an all-digital phone (no analog service available to me).

#107 ·
nepbug said:
One last note, we rolled through the sheep herd and only saw one sheepdog (looked like a white St. Bernard) and he wasn't aggressive, he just watched us while sitting in the middle of the road. No aggressive dog encounters so far this year.
:thumbsup:

I don't know why but it seems I am the only one to ever have had an incident with the sheep dogs out there and it was just the one episode in March last year, with three of them in a pack "herding" me. No one has ever reported any problems other than me.

I love dogs and generally never get frightened or nervous around them.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a couple of weeks.

Ed E

#108 ·
edemtbs said:
I don't know why but it seems I am the only one to ever have had an incident with the sheep dogs out there and it was just the one episode in March last year, with three of them in a pack "herding" me. No one has ever reported any problems other than me.
Were you wearing wool that day!?

#109 ·
Hi,

This will be my first attempt at the KTR and really true desert riding (minus two 24 Moabs). As a former corn-fed midwesterner now living on the CO frontrange, I'm slipping into on my black socks, loafers, and putting the tourist camera around my neck for this one. Planning to ride, enjoy the scenery, and finish with a big smile on my face. Could anyone help with advice that will reduce my current fears of:

1. running out of water. -I plan to carry about a 1.5 gallon on me and iodine tabs.
2. getting lost. -I now own the Lat 40 maps and have been studying, but all this talk of landmarks is confusing me a bit.
--Could someone break apart the course into about 4 or 5 segments (check for water here... careful of getting confused and lost here... halucinegnic visions start here...)

Not too worried about the distance as I've done several 24 solos but this will be a sweet step into a new purity of riding.

Thanks much!
-Greg

#111 ·
mikesee said:
Were you wearing wool that day!?
LOL! :lol:

I was chased by them last year too. Rode through there solo, so they had no other distractions. I kept upping the pace hoping to outrun them, but I never could ride with the big dogs...

As for elevation gain, my barometric altimeter read a cumulative gain of ~14,600 from Slickrock to Loma.

#112 ·
will skip the 2nd half pre-ride

hairball_dh said:
That's a significant ride for the week prior - is it part of a good taper? It depends on what your training has been like. Generally speaking, a 2 week taper would have you doing something like 70% normal volume week 1 and 40-50% week 2 (but frequency the same or increased), with intensity the same or perhaps slightly higher. I like to do a 4-5 hour quick MTB ride the week prior to big ones where cadence is generally higher than typical.

There are two things about your proposed route that might require adjustments to make it the perfect ride: the sustained grade of the shandy climbs, and the length. If it was me, I'd probably take out the entrada blufffs part, maybe loop onion creek and descend castleton. That gets rid of the steeper climbing and gets it in the 4 hour ballpark.

But, everyone's different in this regard. Have fun with it!
Thanks for the specific input. :thumbsup:
I have never really worried to much about trying to do a specific taper for a event but this year I have a modestly good base and want to optimize my chance to finish. (and with a good personal time)
So my main goal is to do some type of "taper", but my secondary goal is to get in some ride time in the desert heat. I had hoped to pre-ride some of the climbs on the 2nd half of the KT but sorry to say I already pretty much know what I will be facing there come race day.
Anyway I will probably just slap on the seldom used heart monitor and do several 1-3 hour fast "fun rides' around GJ and/or Fruita area, watch my HR and try to get my body heated up in the sun.

#113 ·
gregl said:
Hi,

This will be my first attempt at the KTR and really true desert riding (minus two 24 Moabs). As a former corn-fed midwesterner now living on the CO frontrange, I'm slipping into on my black socks, loafers, and putting the tourist camera around my neck for this one. Planning to ride, enjoy the scenery, and finish with a big smile on my face. Could anyone help with advice that will reduce my current fears of:

1. running out of water. -I plan to carry about a 1.5 gallon on me and iodine tabs.
2. getting lost. -I now own the Lat 40 maps and have been studying, but all this talk of landmarks is confusing me a bit.
--Could someone break apart the course into about 4 or 5 segments (check for water here... careful of getting confused and lost here... halucinegnic visions start here...)

Not too worried about the distance as I've done several 24 solos but this will be a sweet step into a new purity of riding.

Thanks much!
-Greg
Others may know of different/better water sources but:

You should be able to get water at the following:

1) Water spigot at Westwater Ranger Station (slightly off route)

2) You can easily touch the Colorado River at:
Cisco Landing
McGraw Bottom
Dewey Bridge (mile 77)

3) Fisher Creek at the TOP of Fisher Valley (mile 109)

4) Castle Creek (about mile 115)

The hard part, imo, for reliable water will be from Dewey to mile 109,

Good Luck!

#114 ·
Advantage to the slow

Stefan_G said:
LOL! :lol:

I was chased by them last year too. Rode through there solo, so they had no other distractions. I kept upping the pace hoping to outrun them, but I never could ride with the big dogs...

As for elevation gain, my barometric altimeter read a cumulative gain of ~14,600 from Slickrock to Loma.
The sheep dogs were so tired from chasing all the fast riders that they just watched from the shade under the herder's trailer when I went slowly by:D

#115 ·
Greetings ~ Great thread!

Could you please offer some beta regarding a 29er SS gear recommendation? I was going to try the Dewey to Moab route prior to the event and rather than dogging the first attempt I am curious what would offer onsight success. I also noticed that there were a couple other events and tours at that time. Is any sort of special KT etiquette observed?

I am still working on getting the weekend off from work, if successful I will be there at 2300 in Fruita. If unsuccessful I will be able to help out with a shuttle run.

#117 ·
Almost that time

one week til i leave for the KTR and i think i'm as ready as i'm gonna be.i've been getting my miles in here in so-cal. i got my filtration and i'm probaly hauling about 150-200oz's of water most of which will be spiked with perpetuim and sustained energy.that should at least get me to dewey bridge or maybe even fisher valley area. I've never rode in the moab area so that just makes this more of an adventure. i've been studying my maps and reading the blogs and looking at pics from those lucky anough to ride this area on a regular bases (d.h. and cellarrat to name a couple).
a homie of mine is going along just to drive my car back to moab so now i don't have to hitch a ride back to the start. We should be arriving in moab around 5-6pm on wed. from so -cal and camping out. ride some Wednesday nite Thursday morning i'll get to ride some more off the last parts of the KTR then we head to loma so i should have a chance to pre-ride some of the beginning.
BIG QUESTION! Food in Loma.I haven't been able to find a motel for friday close by so i might be camping out. Is there anything close to the start were i'll be able to get some grub between 7-10 o'clock (PM) or should i plan on bringing my colemon stove and cooking myself?
ANOTHER QUESTION- TIRES? Right now i'm running kenda small blocks (love these tires:thumbsup: ), 2.1 in the front and a 1.9 rear. i'm thinking about running 2.1 front and rear. Any thoughts on this?
I can't wait to meet everyone. I no this is a race but my goal is just to finish .Hopefully within 15-18 hours.
Are cellphones aloud? i read on the GDR thread that this is not excepted.(GDR-2012 is the goal) i just wanted to text my location before i head into the la sals were there is no cellphone service. It would make my wife really happy:D

www.veezeprice.blogspot.com (bicycle on the brain)

#118 ·
vzman said:
one week til i leave for the ktr and i think i'm as ready as i'm gonna be.i've been getting my miles in here in so-cal. i got my filtration and i'm probaly hauling about 200oz's of water spiked with perpetuim and sustained energy.that should at least get me to dewey bridge area. Ive never rode in the moab area so that just makes this more of an adventure. i've been studying my maps and reading the blogs and looking at pics from those lucky anough to ride this area on a regular bases (d.h. and cellarrat to name a couple).
a homie of mine is going along just to drive my car back to moab so now i don't have to hitch a ride back to the start. We should be arriving in moab around 5-6pm on wed. from so -cal and camping out. ride some Wednesday nite Thursday morning i'll get to ride some more off the last parts of the KTR then we head to loma so i should have a chance to pre-ride some of the beginning.
BIG QUESTION! Food in Loma.I haven't been able to find a motel for friday close by so i might be camping out. Is there anything close to the start were i'll be able to get some grub between 7-10 o'clock (PM) or should i plan on bringing my colemon stove and cooking myself?
ANOTHER QUESTION- TIRES? Right now i'm running kenda small blocks (love these tires:thumbsup: ), 2.1 in the front and a 1.9 rear. i'm thinking about running 2.1 front and rear. Any thoughts on this?
I can't wait to meet everyone. I no this is a race but my goal is just to finish .Hopefully within 15-18 hours.
Are cellphones aloud? i read on the gdr thread that this is not excepted.(GDR-2012 is my goal) i just wanted to text my location before i head into the la sals were there is no cellphone service. It would make my wife really happy:D

www.veezeprice.blogspot.com (bicycle on the brain)
Suggestion on the water plan: since the race starts at midnight, the first 6 hours will be relatively cool - 50's probably. Your water use will be not that great. Once the sun comes up and (if it's sunny and warm) your water use may quadruple. When your water useage goes up, you will want straight water. Any more when riding in the desert, I mix only one bottle of sports drink at a time. I've been caught a few times with only sports drink and no water and when it's stewing at 100F in your bottle it's mank.

There are several fast food places in Fruita, it's right on interstate 70 and roughly 5 miles from the trailhead.

On tires, I prefer floaty as there are lots of opportunities to flat out there in rocky terrain. Sand too. But if you are used to 1.9s...

Cell phones: that's the million dollar question. I think the rule goes something like this: take it, but once you use it it's a DSQ. That's for the GDR. It's Adam's call on how strict we interpret those rules and apply them to KTR.

Sounds like you've got a good plan, finishing is a great goal for the first KTR. It's a bit of a beast :)

#120 ·
Cell Phones...

Reception is pretty sketchy out on most of the route, so it is most likely a non-issue. However, for simplicities sake, I am going to go ahead and cite the GDR rule here:

Cell phones are allowed for GDR [KTR] racers' emergency use only. By all means--bring it with you to satiate that need for "insurance". But keep it stashed away unless you're in dire straits. If you really, really need to use it, DO NOT HESITATE to do so. But once you've used it, you are DQ'd from the race. No exceptions.

I think that is pretty reasonable, especially for this race. There is no need to call in updates as to your whereabouts at the KTR. Feel free to carry one, and use it if the situation arises...and if you can get a signal.

#123 ·
Ride up them?

Naw-- I have people who do that for me.

Never thought too much about the gearing. I rode the Kokopelli once with 32:20 and spent most of my time wishing I had a different gear, went 32:19 and have never changed back. I may walk more than others, but when races go from hours to days walking is not a bad thing.

#125 · (Edited)
Another first timer

I thought I'd say "hey" to everyone, from Chapel Hill, NC. This will be my first attempt at the KTR - I'm flying out there tomorrow to spend the week in Moab doing logistics. As with a lot of the other newbies, my goal is only to finish, hopefully before midnight the next night! I'd like to add to the very small but growing list of women who've finished the race... I grew up in Utah (started MTBing in '84) and have ridden most of the trail (in sections) so I think I have a good idea what I'm in for... but who knows. I've had lots of time on the bike this season, though haven't been able to do any really long rides. And it has been a few years since I've been on that trail. We'll see.

My plan for water is to carry about 100 oz in the pack plus two bottles, and use iodine tabs (I'll probably carry an extra bladder, just in case). I don't mind drinking silty water if need be, I've done it before:eek: I'll be riding on my recently restored Fat Chance Yo Eddy (hardtail), with suspension up front. I contemplated the singlespeed option for about two minutes, and decided I just am not woman enough for that.

One question for the group, I'm wondering if it's within race parameters for my SO and daughter to hang out at Dewey bridge and for me to wave that I'm ok as I go by?(hopefully it will be a wave ok... or DNF if something is wrong, like my knee acting up...) Any other comments on my plan or setup are welcome too...!

Hope to see you all next week.
Morgan

#126 ·
mcgurme said:
One question for the group, I'm wondering if it's within race parameters for my SO and daughter to hang out at Dewey bridge and for me to wave that I'm ok as I go by?
Last year there were lots of people out on the course, cheering, waving, etc. I was surprised by it, but I didn't think it violated any rules. As long as they don't provide you with anything other than a wave, I suppose there's no harm in it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.