Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2007 KTR Update

27K views 177 replies 50 participants last post by  vzman 
#1 ·
Here's the update: there ain't gonna be one.

To all those that have called, emailed, and PM'ed me about this: Please, stop. I'm truly glad that the race captured your imagination and made you suffer and see god and all that. It was a great race. But my involvement in it has come to an end.

No amount of pleas, offers to build a website, offers to have your SO police the course, offers to register a domain name, offers to provide coffee and donuts at the start, etc... will make any difference.

I enjoyed the race for the few years I ran it, but I'm now happily moving on to other things.

Here's an idea: if you want the race to happen, organize it. That's all it takes, mostly.

Cheers,

MC

#79 ·
hairball_dh said:
We followed your tracks on Sunday - look who's back in action!

The route direction change sure is gonna make this one interesting :eek:
It's great to see you raring to go again Lynda!!

I agree, the whole race is going to be very different strategically because of Adam's devious little route reversal :thumbsup:

Ed E

#81 ·
keep ridin' wookie!

wookieone said:
Hello y';all, hoping to ride this thing and was wondering if there will be any post ride thing going on and anyone have an idea to get folks back to the trailhead? A car pool would be a great idea, just throwing that out there. As far as the race goes i hope to have enough water to make it to Fischer creek, but can make an early call at westwater. I rode it in the Grand Loop last year and needed alot of water but this should be a bit easier i hope. Looking forward to it see y';all there. Jefe
You don't need a stinkin' shuttle...You should just turn around and make your own way back on the same trail. That would make it challenging for you! Except that would make me feel really stupid when you pass me going the other way. ~Mitch:thumbsup:

#82 ·
anyone else want to ride back?

I already thought about riding back, yeah good times? But I would like to ride for the rest of the month, i seem to be drawn towards such self relaint type of stupid s*&t so who knows? two hundred and eighty miles is a whopper, anyways can't wait to ride and see y'all at the start, peace jefe

#83 ·
wookieone said:
I already thought about riding back, yeah good times? But I would like to ride for the rest of the month, i seem to be drawn towards such self relaint type of stupid s*&t so who knows? two hundred and eighty miles is a whopper, anyways can't wait to ride and see y'all at the start, peace jefe
If we ride back we might as well turn up the Paradox :p

#84 ·
Plans and more Plans

Originally Posted by wookieone
Originally Posted by The Sage
You don't need a stinkin' shuttle...You should just turn around and make your own way back on the same trail. That would make it challenging for you! Except that would make me feel really stupid when you pass me going the other way. ~Mitch
Pivvay said:
If we ride back we might as well turn up the Paradox :p
Which should I do??:confused:

Plan A) Shuttle back (easiest, most likely)

Plan B) Use some of my many "reward points" for a free Hotel night and next day re-supply batteries for lights and ride pavement/Hwy 128 to McGraw and then on back to Loma via KT (humm, maybe doable, thinking about it)

Plan C) Do the "race" to Slickrock, but carry a Bag & Bivy etc, eat in Moab, take on full food supply, camp and next day start to retrace entire KT with one overnight somewhere on the return trail .(plan C is basically training for a multi day)

#85 ·
Just throwing this out there, but if there's anyone who might want to ride Loma to Moab May 5,6,7, I'll be out there (possibly alone, as my partner seems to have just bailed on me) and my wife has agreed to provide sag support. The plan is to ride Fruita trailhead to Westwater on Day 1, Westwater to Fisher Valley on Day 2, and Fisher Valley down Porc Rim to finish. Sag stops halfway through each day and all camping equipment can be loaded into my truck.

If you're eyeing KTR for 2008 like me, this is a great opportunity to see what you'll have in store. :) PM me if interested.

#87 ·
I'll be giving this 'ride' a go but will be traveling solo. I was thinking of hitch hiking from Moab back to fruita sunday afternoon to reunite with my vehicle but was wondering if anyone here was planning on driving back that way that could give me a lift (just from moab to fruita)?

#89 ·
I might see you out there Petersbike. Just to throw this out there, if you happen to see a black Honda Element with a pair of kayaks on the roof driving around the desert with Washington plates, do stop in and say hi, as that will be my wife and I (doing some kayak-camping on Lake Powell after riding KPT).

By the way, I just got done looking at the forecast for the next 7 days or so on Accuweather and it looks as if it's not going to get above 80 and will have lows in the 30's each night. Does that sound normal for this time of year? Should I expect something, say, a bit hotter than Accuweather is letting on?

#91 ·
Hey Everyone,

We are just TWO WEEKS OUT!

I wanted to go over a few details. Remember:

The race will start at 12:01 AM Saturday May, 19th (Midnight) at the Kokopelli Trail Head in Loma, Colorado.

We will have a short racer meeting at 11:00 PM at the trail head to answer questions and go over last minute details, please make sure to be there, so you can sign in. Any racer not signed in when the race starts will NOT be counted in the results.

The race will finish at the Slickrock Trailhead in Moab, UT.

As you all know, this event is unsupported. If you are unclear what that means, visit the Kokopelli Trail Race website for further explanation.

If you don't feel you can abide by the letter and the spirit of the rules of unsupported racing, please stay home.

Hopefully you have all gone over your maps, your strategies, and are all ready to rock and roll. Ride smart, ride safe, and let's have a great time on the KT!

#92 ·
Elevation Gains

Here's a rough estimate of elevation gains from my map with sectional elevation profiles:

Loma - Rabbit Valley: 1140

RV - Cisco landing: 900

CS - Dewey Bridge: 700

DB - Fisher Valley: 3110

FV - Castle Valley: 3320

CV - Slickrock: 1820

total: 10990'

Any one have a more accurate info?

#94 ·
KTR Taper Plans?

alizbee said:
Hey Everyone,

We are just TWO WEEKS OUT!.........................................................

.................................Hopefully you have all gone over your maps, your strategies, and are all ready to rock and roll. Ride smart, ride safe, and let's have a great time on the KT!
The new bike is dialed in:D

The nutrition/eating strategy that seems to be finally working (cross my fingers on this one):eek:

Have a "cool day" and a "hot day" water strategy in place:cool:

Have done (for me) some good 07 base miles, some nice solo endurance rides and a few races :)

Am now wondering what other (more experienced) endurance racers are doing to taper for the KTR?:confused:

#95 ·
trail717 said:
Am now wondering what other (more experienced) endurance racers are doing to taper for the KTR?
If anything I'm less experienced, but today was my last bike ride over 2 hours. I'll be transitioning back into trail running to train for a race in June; my hope is small runs will be easy enough to make the taper work, while being enough activity to help me sleep. The week before the Rim Ride I did essentially nothing, and while the taper worked I slept horribly all week because I didn't feel tired. :madman: I hope to avoid that, at least to a certain extent.

The week before I also hyperfocus on staying consistently hydrated and eating well, lots of variety with colors (fruits and veggies) the week before, then lots of complex carbs and protein in the 72 hours before. Lay some quality reserves.

#96 ·
Old broken down knees

ionsmuse said:
If anything I'm less experienced, but today was my last bike ride over 2 hours. I'll be transitioning back into trail running to train for a race in June; my hope is small runs will be easy enough to make the taper work, while being enough activity to help me sleep. The week before the Rim Ride I did essentially nothing, and while the taper worked I slept horribly all week because I didn't feel tired. :madman: I hope to avoid that, at least to a certain extent.

The week before I also hyperfocus on staying consistently hydrated and eating well, lots of variety with colors (fruits and veggies) the week before, then lots of complex carbs and protein in the 72 hours before. Lay some quality reserves.
Well my knees don't want me to run much over 30 min any more but I could limit my ride time.

Hey, good ideas on hydration and eating, I think I will try the same, thanks.:thumbsup:

It is snowing at my house right now and I would like to get in some 'high temp' rides. I will be in GJ area for work next week and time permitting was thinking of riding (easy pace) a loop from Dewey Bridge up to either Fisher Valley (back down on Onion Creek) or on up and over to Castle Valley Road and back. This would be on Friday 11th, or exactly one week before the KTR. To much to late??

#97 ·
I rode Dewey to fish ford on thursday and Dewey to fisher Valley and back on friday. Saturday I rode Mary's loop to Mack ridge on down. Saturday I saw EnduroDoug out on his new Moots 29er beginning his Kokopelli trip.
My questions and concerns include:
Saw no water at fisher creek on friday.
I have now resigned from doing this ride on a SS. I just feel like I will be destroyed. I was able to climb to the top of entrada bluffs road to top of the world but after that it was much hike a bike on the remaining climbing.
I also think to taper or not has to do with what your goals are. I am just riding as long ride.

#98 ·
Water, gots to have water

petersbike said:
I rode Dewey to fish ford on thursday and Dewey to fisher Valley and back on friday. Saturday I rode Mary's loop to Mack ridge on down. Saturday I saw EnduroDoug out on his new Moots 29er beginning his Kokopelli trip.
My questions and concerns include:
Saw no water at fisher creek on friday.
I have now resigned from doing this ride on a SS. I just feel like I will be destroyed. I was able to climb to the top of entrada bluffs road to top of the world but after that it was much hike a bike on the remaining climbing.
I also think to taper or not has to do with what your goals are. I am just riding as long ride.
I am not aware of any "reliable" water down in Fisher Valley itself. Where Fisher Creek dumps down over the rim "into" FV is where you should find reliable water, about mile 109 (8000ft) per the KT map.

In 06 I saw several strong riders on SS that did not finish, perhaps they may have with gears? On the other hand some with SS did very very well. As always this is a personal thing but If you are not sure you could do it geared this yr, and then always do it SS later.

#100 ·
trail717 said:
It is snowing at my house right now and I would like to get in some 'high temp' rides. I will be in GJ area for work next week and time permitting was thinking of riding (easy pace) a loop from Dewey Bridge up to either Fisher Valley (back down on Onion Creek) or on up and over to Castle Valley Road and back. This would be on Friday 11th, or exactly one week before the KTR. To much to late??
That's a significant ride for the week prior - is it part of a good taper? It depends on what your training has been like. Generally speaking, a 2 week taper would have you doing something like 70% normal volume week 1 and 40-50% week 2 (but frequency the same or increased), with intensity the same or perhaps slightly higher. I like to do a 4-5 hour quick MTB ride the week prior to big ones where cadence is generally higher than typical.

There are two things about your proposed route that might require adjustments to make it the perfect ride: the sustained grade of the shandy climbs, and the length. If it was me, I'd probably take out the entrada blufffs part, maybe loop onion creek and descend castleton. That gets rid of the steeper climbing and gets it in the 4 hour ballpark.

But, everyone's different in this regard. Have fun with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.