Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2007 KTR Update

Plans for Friday? Anyone up for hitting 18 road, say 4-5 pm?

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    this one is in the Dirt Rag calendar of events.. going big time baby.. no longer a diaper dandy
    Is that a good thing?
    Fatter than most.

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    Is that a good thing?
    Probably not.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

I'm how far behind?

Soapbox:on

I think that races like the KTR are getting to big. I love the idea behind them, but once the participant number gets above 30 or so they are in danger. I know some of the "promoters" have recieved some not so nice letters from some of the governing agencies. They are aware of these types of events and I don't think they like the idea of them. That is why I was suggesting limiting the amount of cars at the start/finish. Park in town ride a few bonus miles. For these reasons and others-- I will not be racing this event. I'll be out there, doing my own tour. Modified double kokopelli, kinda a big lollipop (from Fruita not the parking lot). Just me and my gear. This time, I'm going to sleep. Racing the koko is appealing, but so is some quality time testing out some gear. Especially considering I have a rare 3day weekend, why would I want to spend 15 hours on the bike in race mode when I could spend 3 days on it? I'll probably see a few of you out there, I'll be chearing you on-- from the sidelines. Still think you should fly low and avoid the radar.

Soapboxff
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Friday Shuttle Update - 8pm

Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    If I can get two more people interested in this shuttle then I will arrange it. So far 3 spots are taken on this shuttle van. It can accomodate 14 people/bikes. It will depart from Moab City Park. We will start loading at 7pm Friday evening at the park. The total cost will be $185. Leave your vehicle wherever you want, just be ready to load at 7pm. Bring check or cash for the driver.

PM me to get on the ride list and I will share the ride status on this thread. Please include your cell phone number.

-Adam
    We have 5 riders for the Moab-Fruita shuttle. We bumped it to 8pm to minimize time at the trailhead waiting for the start. Not to be confusing, the total cost of the shuttle is $185, so that gets split between riders. Again, just PM me if interested.

cheers,
    Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soloracer
    I think that races like the KTR are getting to big. I love the idea behind them, but once the participant number gets above 30 or so they are in danger. I know some of the "promoters" have recieved some not so nice letters from some of the governing agencies. They are aware of these types of events and I don't think they like the idea of them. That is why I was suggesting limiting the amount of cars at the start/finish. Park in town ride a few bonus miles. For these reasons and others-- I will not be racing this event. I'll be out there, doing my own tour. Modified double kokopelli, kinda a big lollipop (from Fruita not the parking lot). Just me and my gear. This time, I'm going to sleep. Racing the koko is appealing, but so is some quality time testing out some gear. Especially considering I have a rare 3day weekend, why would I want to spend 15 hours on the bike in race mode when I could spend 3 days on it? I'll probably see a few of you out there, I'll be chearing you on-- from the sidelines. Still think you should fly low and avoid the radar.

Soapboxff

make sure you cheer on everybody. we wouldn't want anyone getting any unfair advantages

mtbr member
    See everyone tommorrow for the KTR.
    Goodluck!

Walter

mtbr member

Bike is go fly

Packed the stuff
    Oiled the chain
    Hope there are no "issues"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------------
    me have blog

forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

CrazedCreator
    I hope everyone has a great time out there! It would have been great to meet you all, but unfortunately I won't be joining you since I have a nasty cold/flu thing I haven't kicked. All those months of training and preparation... down the tubes..

Adam - thanks for organizing it! I hope the BLM doesn't hassle you all, that would be so lame if they did. Maybe I'll meet some of you if it happens next year, or on other trails down the road...

Morgan

Just go ride!
    Yep. Ya'll have fun. I have to pull out as well this year to attend a memorial service for a friend. Really hurts to miss it, but not a good enough reason to miss the memorial. Ya'll have fun out there! I bet the guys in the back are gonna be amused by all the rabbit and kangaroo rat carnage that transpires through the night. Them rodent's ain't none too smart, an' like to challenge each other Frogger style...
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Which way? Uphill.
    Just got back, good ride even though I bailed out down Onion Creek Road.

The BLM was there to greet everyone at the start in Loma, I'm sure others will elaborate more as I just listened for some of it and then hopped on my bike and started riding it at 11:30. I wasn't going to wait to see if there was any sort of organized start. I must say though that we as a group came off well in my opinion, everyone seemed to ask questions and make comments in a respectful manner and nobody was confrontational.

Anybody know the temperature extremes on the course, I know it was in the 90's for a high(95?), but what was the low? I'm guessing in the low 40's.

Approaching Westwater, I crested a small rise and the temperatures just dropped. Even though I had on arm warmers, leg warmers, beanie and long-fingered gloves I became a cold, shivering mess and was about 90 minutes slower on the Westwater to Dewy section because of it; I even put on my plastic rain jacket and was still freezing (no condesation buildup on the inside because I was too cold to sweat). I was totally caught off guard by that. At 7:30 I was still in all my warmers and the other riders I saw had stripped down and were sweating profusely, definitely a bad spot for me.

It was nice to meet those of you that I did. Jen, hope you made it the entire way pushing that 32:20. Frank, maybe next time we should talk prior to the race so that we don't show up with the same bike and same jersey again. Greg, the look on your face when I said I was bailing at Onion Creek and that we probably had a good 6-7 hours to complete the ride was priceless, it was fun to bail out down onion creek with you. To the 3 single-speeders (one converted to SS at dewey due to a mechanical) doing the 4 mph pace line down 128, glad you made it to Moab ok.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Nepbug, it was good meeting you two weeks ago and I'm glad you made it back okay. I have to tell you (and everyone) that after riding Koko in 3 days a couple weeks ago (not with Bikerpelli), I gained a profound respect for those of you going to attempt it all at once, unsupported. I'm still thinking of trying for next year, but there was no way I would have been ready to try it this year. Normally I don't believe in that whole "not that you finished, but that you had the courage to start" PC nonsense, but in this case I do. Nepbug, to get a taste of it two weeks ago via the three-day plan and then still come back 2 weeks later for the whole enchilada is impressive. Good luck with your other races this year.

Sorry you didn't get to see what lies beyond the portions we rode together earlier in the month, but it sounds like you made the wise decision. So... did you ride 128 all the way back to the start? I'll get those pics to you shortly, work has been crazy since I got back.

Can't wait for more ride reports.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was fun, it was hard, it was not fun, it was cold, it was hot, it was rocky, it was flat, it was technical, it was on a lot of road, it was steep (in either direction), it was ugly, it was pretty, it was lonely, it was fully of people, it was so f-ing amazing that I could not possibly drink enough beer to fully come up with the superlative or embellishment that truly describes this thing.

Rode it and finished it with my buddy Jeff and this was my first time riding Fruita and Moab. Umm....there is some nice riding up there in case you did not know that.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroDoug
    ... So... did you ride 128 all the way back to the start?...
    The plan was to ride 128 back to the Slickrock TH, but I actually had reception on one part of 128 and I called in the cavalry to pick me and Greg up somewhere between Onion Cr. and Castle Valley, but we had just split Greg's secret weapon (Starbuck's Espresso DoubleShot) and were ready to crank it out to the TH if necessary, we had plenty of water.

I wasn't too proud to not accept a ride into town. I had noticed my sweat rate had decreased a great deal and took this as I was getting to a bad place with hydration. Even with me changing to drinking every 2 minutes shortly out of dewey I still couldn't seem to keep up. Maybe it's because this was the second ride of the year above 80 degrees for me, I sweated it all out quickly. The sweat rate decreasing might not have been an indication of my hydration levels going to total crap like I was thinking because I didn't wake up this morning with a headache from dehydration, though from the "pee color test" I still have to play catch-up a little longer. When I quit, my body felt good except for the cooked legs and the dislike of the flavor of turkey jerky (it tasted so good in previous rides).
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Everybody,

I had a great time last weekend. Good to see some familiar faces out there. Did anybody named Kwasniewski lose an expensive battery on Segment 4? I picked it up and have it.

Dave from Minnesota, it was fun riding with you on the last bit. If you ever need a place in Boulder to crash, let me know.

-Alan

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Alan,

I'm Jenifer Kwasniewski and that's my battery. You have made my DAY! I thought I'd never see it again. Losing it sure made for a tough KTR finish in the dark! I'll PM you to coordinate a return. Thank you so much!

Jen

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hello everyone

What a day! Congratulations to all, it was such a mess at the begining but it turned out alright I believe, too bad there couldn';t have been a more all together start. I heard rumor of a start up atop Mary';s, and by 11":30 it seemed everyone had already gone? So we went, riding mellow to see if anyone was stopped and forming a start pack, never saw a group stopped but lots of lights heading west. When the fast guys that started at midnight passed me I realized it was a clusterf#$k of a start and I apologize that I ended up starting early, in the end it makes little difference to me as I rode it all, under the weight of a ton of S$%t and it ended up being a great ride, but i was looking forward to meeting you all at the start and getting a better idea of how many there were of us and such, I guess it really was more of a Kokopelli Trail Ride than a race. What will become of this fun little get together? The results of this will of course be skewed a bit as folks started at all times of the night, so perhaps that';s where it should go, less of a ":race": more of a tour? Thanks to those who started the concept and to those who took the heat when the Man caught on, I love the grassroots feel and the good folks that it brings out, Take care Jefe

tiny rider
    Quote Originally Posted by IttyBittyBetty
    Alan,

I'm Jenifer Kwasniewski and that's my battery. You have made my DAY! I thought I'd never see it again. Losing it sure made for a tough KTR finish in the dark! I'll PM you to coordinate a return. Thank you so much!

Jen

Oh sure. How is anyone to know you're THE Kwasniewski who happened to be on the KT this past weekend. There must have been dozens

Congrats to everyone who rode. Some day...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    What a day! Congratulations to all, it was such a mess at the begining but it turned out alright I believe, too bad there couldn';t have been a more all together start. I heard rumor of a start up atop Mary';s, and by 11":30 it seemed everyone had already gone? So we went, riding mellow to see if anyone was stopped and forming a start pack, never saw a group stopped but lots of lights heading west. When the fast guys that started at midnight passed me I realized it was a clusterf#$k of a start and I apologize that I ended up starting early, in the end it makes little difference to me as I rode it all, under the weight of a ton of S$%t and it ended up being a great ride, but i was looking forward to meeting you all at the start and getting a better idea of how many there were of us and such, I guess it really was more of a Kokopelli Trail Ride than a race. What will become of this fun little get together? The results of this will of course be skewed a bit as folks started at all times of the night, so perhaps that';s where it should go, less of a ":race": more of a tour? Thanks to those who started the concept and to those who took the heat when the Man caught on, I love the grassroots feel and the good folks that it brings out, Take care Jefe
    Hey Jefe,

You might have been in the same small group that I was rolling with at the start? Couple singlespeeders on 29r Rigs, a dude on a Cannondale, and another non-racer who was just riding along for the first mile or so? We left the parking lot around 11:30, and were headed to the start, but nobody was really sure where the "top of Mary's" was, and we didn't see any sort of gathering, so several people pretty much concluded that "F*ck it, I guess this *is* the start." and kept riding. The front runners started catching us at about the first looong hike-a-bike.

We just told the girl at the finish left we the parking lot @ 11:30. I think they adjusted our times accordingly.

Is there an "official unofficial" results thread somewhere?

Is this the end of KTR, what with all the BLM hassle? It would really suck for my first KTR to be the last KTR.

Was enough $$ collected to cover Adam's BLM fine? (I know they had collected about half of it when me and a few others finished, and we chipped in a few more bucks.)

I have these and many more questions, which I hope will be answered in the coming days.

Regardless of the confusion, this was definitely an epic, and for me, being pretty new to the endurance racing thing, the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike.

Hopefully this wasn't the last one...
    Last edited by TrevorInSoCal; 05-21-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Grizzly
    To answer some questions....

"Is this the end of the KTR?"

As long as people are interested in TTing the KT, people will do so. It might be that individuals decide to do it on a day of their choosing, rather than in a group setting. But I think KT TT's are far, far from being done away with.

"Was enough $$ collected to cover the fine?"

Very nearly. It was very generous and very cool to get so much support, so quickly. Thank you all very much. That kind gesture went a long way in helping me preserve the little mojo I had left after the parking lot "ambush". Again, thank you, it really did mean quite a lot.

And a few post ride thoughts....

I would like to apologize for any confusion at the start. When finally things calmed down I looked at my watch and it was about 20 minutes to 12. I was still in street clothes and found myself unmotivated to ride. But not one to let the Man bring me down, I suited up quickly and tried to put everything behind me. It only sort of worked. I found myself arguing at different times during my ride with imaginary Government peoples, trying to make our case. I had to remind myself several times that I was on the KT, and that my mind needed to be in the here and now, but that proved difficult. I was grateful for good company in the waning hours, long after the last of my motivation had dried up.

I finished, but that doesn't mean I wanted to. Had I been able to find a graceful exit I would have. But once I got into Hidden Canyon at the bottom of N. Beaver Mesa, there was only one way home. And that was up.

The void left from the debacle at the start is quickly being filled by your stories. I am really happy that so many people finished. Many of the names on the list were DNFs last year. Redemption is sweet. I think the high point for me was that everyone I encountered on the trail, from Mary's to Slick Rock had big grins on their faces.

And that, is what it is all about.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Money for ticket

My friends and I took off before the whole BLM thing ended, out of fear that the trail would be blocked or something else would be done to keep us from riding. We'd like to contribute to your ticket fund. I thought you did a great job in a very difficult situation. Please PM me info on how to get you the money.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Found Camelbak at Slickrock parking area

This camelbak was found after the KTR. Any losers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Alan,

Thanks for the offer. Likewise, I really enjoyed riding with you on some of those difficult miles. Funny thing, on the long drive back to MN I remember our conversation about how one forgets the very difficult times of a race/ride only to come back for more at a later date. I hadn't left CO yet and was already looking forward to doing this ride again next spring.

Congrats on your finish!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This was a great event. My first KTR and I look forward to next year's RIDE! I finished in close to 24 hours and apparantly was the sweeper as I didn't see any more riders after Dewey Bridge... I'm thankful of my peeps that were waiting for me at Slick Rock!

- Cisco
    (Riding the Bianchi C.u.s.s (Celeste SS) that everyone passed!)

The Wheel's Turning

To whom it may concern!

Thanks for a great time. It was awesome meeting everyone.
    I thought I would throw a suggestion out there. Take it for what it's worth...It's probably none of my business, but I do have some experience with this type of stuff.
    I'm not sure who it was who got the ticket out there that night (I never had a chance to meet you or even say thanks), but I heard that you were not going to contest the ticket (I'm just imagining the BLM court, whatever that is, in my head with a bunch of stiffs and their fat regs book in front of them. It kind of makes me laugh in a way). I would hesitate doing that only because you might want to pull a permit in the future for something not even related to the KTR. It could be a double edge sword, but there is a question on the permit form that says something like "have you ever been fined or have there ever been any problems with another event before." It would really suck to be denied a permit in the future for something like this. On the other hand, to contest it might draw some unwanted attention to you in the future (the double edge sword I was talking about). Your in a tough spot...In MO it's hard for me to see you being the one responsible for this whole thing. We all had a part in it and should be just as responsible. I can probably say that we all say thanks for "Taking one for the team"

If you have second thoughts or want to explore it a little further. I would be willing to ask someone I know from the BLM, in another district, his thoughts. It wouldn't take much, and the advice could be helpful. Again, just a thought. You can tell me to go to hell if you want. I just hate seeing you take it in the shorts for something like this. Much respect, TS
    Chance favors those in motion...

Grizzly
    Sage,

Thanks for the advice. I had thought about contesting the ticket, but I really think it will be more trouble than it is worth. There is a question about past violations on the permit, but in reality the chances of me ever applying for one are very small. There is also space to explain what the violation was and why it occurred. I appreciate your thoughts though. I am glad that there is still a lot of interest in seeing the KTR continue on...in some form or another.

After being able to put a few days worth of thoughts into this fiasco, I think I can sum it all up best by quoting Edward Abbey, when he wrote "that there is a way of being wrong which is also sometimes necessarily right."
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

bicycleonthebrain

a pic from a water hole

i no that KT has come and gone but i'm still High from the experience. I have more pics to scan from my buddies camera but here is one for now. Great place to filter and shout the breeze

www.veezeprice.blogspot.com

bicycleonthebrain
    Ok... these are the rest of my pics from KTR. Now i can move on.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/veezeman...15577176681554

Photo's were taken by the Milkman

www.veezeprice.blogspot.com
    Last edited by vzman; 06-07-2007 at 06:50 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234