Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 178

Thread: 2007 KTR Update

  1. #76
    Grizzly
    Reputation: alizbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695
    Ed, Jen, Gary and myself rode Dewey to Slickrock on Saturday. It was rainy, but spectacular. A few pics:

    http://picasaweb.google.com/adamliso...conDeweyToMoab

    Ed will probably chime in with a few thoughts as well.

    Dave, sorry you were feeling sick. You made a wise choice though.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

    "The only thing better than solitude, is society."

    ~Ed Abbey

  2. #77
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,857
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    Ed, Jen, Gary and myself rode Dewey to Slickrock on Saturday. It was rainy, but spectacular. A few pics:

    Ed will probably chime in with a few thoughts as well.
    It was fun stuff Adam and crew!

    A preview pic.........

    Ed E
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #78
    Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    It was fun stuff Adam and crew!

    A preview pic.........

    Ed E
    We followed your tracks on Sunday - look who's back in action!



    The route direction change sure is gonna make this one interesting
    Dave

    Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

    2 Epic

  4. #79
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,857
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball_dh
    We followed your tracks on Sunday - look who's back in action!

    The route direction change sure is gonna make this one interesting
    It's great to see you raring to go again Lynda!!

    I agree, the whole race is going to be very different strategically because of Adam's devious little route reversal

    Ed E

  5. #80
    Grizzly
    Reputation: alizbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695
    I had help in that decision!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

    "The only thing better than solitude, is society."

    ~Ed Abbey

  6. #81
    The Wheel's Turning
    Reputation: The Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    89

    keep ridin' wookie!

    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    Hello y';all, hoping to ride this thing and was wondering if there will be any post ride thing going on and anyone have an idea to get folks back to the trailhead? A car pool would be a great idea, just throwing that out there. As far as the race goes i hope to have enough water to make it to Fischer creek, but can make an early call at westwater. I rode it in the Grand Loop last year and needed alot of water but this should be a bit easier i hope. Looking forward to it see y';all there. Jefe
    You don't need a stinkin' shuttle...You should just turn around and make your own way back on the same trail. That would make it challenging for you! Except that would make me feel really stupid when you pass me going the other way. ~Mitch

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    192

    anyone else want to ride back?

    I already thought about riding back, yeah good times? But I would like to ride for the rest of the month, i seem to be drawn towards such self relaint type of stupid s*&t so who knows? two hundred and eighty miles is a whopper, anyways can't wait to ride and see y'all at the start, peace jefe

  8. #83
    Time to go farther
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    I already thought about riding back, yeah good times? But I would like to ride for the rest of the month, i seem to be drawn towards such self relaint type of stupid s*&t so who knows? two hundred and eighty miles is a whopper, anyways can't wait to ride and see y'all at the start, peace jefe
    If we ride back we might as well turn up the Paradox
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trail717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    445

    Plans and more Plans

    Originally Posted by wookieone
    I already thought about riding back, yeah good times? But I would like to ride for the rest of the month, i seem to be drawn towards such self relaint type of stupid s*&t so who knows? two hundred and eighty miles is a whopper, anyways can't wait to ride and see y'all at the start, peace jefe

    Originally Posted by The Sage
    You don't need a stinkin' shuttle...You should just turn around and make your own way back on the same trail. That would make it challenging for you! Except that would make me feel really stupid when you pass me going the other way. ~Mitch


    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    If we ride back we might as well turn up the Paradox

    Which should I do??

    Plan A) Shuttle back (easiest, most likely)

    Plan B) Use some of my many “reward points” for a free Hotel night and next day re-supply batteries for lights and ride pavement/Hwy 128 to McGraw and then on back to Loma via KT (humm, maybe doable, thinking about it)

    Plan C) Do the “race” to Slickrock, but carry a Bag & Bivy etc, eat in Moab, take on full food supply, camp and next day start to retrace entire KT with one overnight somewhere on the return trail .(plan C is basically training for a multi day)
    ---------------
    me have blog

    forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    522
    Just throwing this out there, but if there's anyone who might want to ride Loma to Moab May 5,6,7, I'll be out there (possibly alone, as my partner seems to have just bailed on me) and my wife has agreed to provide sag support. The plan is to ride Fruita trailhead to Westwater on Day 1, Westwater to Fisher Valley on Day 2, and Fisher Valley down Porc Rim to finish. Sag stops halfway through each day and all camping equipment can be loaded into my truck.

    If you're eyeing KTR for 2008 like me, this is a great opportunity to see what you'll have in store. PM me if interested.

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3

    KTR May 5/6/7

    Hey Doug! That happens to be the weekend of the 18hrs of Fruita race which I'm doing solo as a tune up for the KTR. If for some reason you decide to go the following weekend, I'm IN!! Jason

  12. #87
    fight the system
    Reputation: jakomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    406
    I'll be giving this 'ride' a go but will be traveling solo. I was thinking of hitch hiking from Moab back to fruita sunday afternoon to reunite with my vehicle but was wondering if anyone here was planning on driving back that way that could give me a lift (just from moab to fruita)?
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

  13. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: petersbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    156
    I will be heading to Fruita Thurs/Friday/Sat to ride a couple days for KTR knowledge. Anybody interested in hooking up to ride drop me an Email. Walt

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    522
    I might see you out there Petersbike. Just to throw this out there, if you happen to see a black Honda Element with a pair of kayaks on the roof driving around the desert with Washington plates, do stop in and say hi, as that will be my wife and I (doing some kayak-camping on Lake Powell after riding KPT).

    By the way, I just got done looking at the forecast for the next 7 days or so on Accuweather and it looks as if it's not going to get above 80 and will have lows in the 30's each night. Does that sound normal for this time of year? Should I expect something, say, a bit hotter than Accuweather is letting on?

  15. #90
    I'm how far behind?
    Reputation: Soloracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563

    Car pool thread

    Started a new thread to discuss carpooling to/from here
    KTR- The Carpool Thread

    jim
    Fatter than most.

  16. #91
    Grizzly
    Reputation: alizbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    695
    Hey Everyone,

    We are just TWO WEEKS OUT!

    I wanted to go over a few details. Remember:

    The race will start at 12:01 AM Saturday May, 19th (Midnight) at the Kokopelli Trail Head in Loma, Colorado.

    We will have a short racer meeting at 11:00 PM at the trail head to answer questions and go over last minute details, please make sure to be there, so you can sign in. Any racer not signed in when the race starts will NOT be counted in the results.

    The race will finish at the Slickrock Trailhead in Moab, UT.

    As you all know, this event is unsupported. If you are unclear what that means, visit the Kokopelli Trail Race website for further explanation.

    If you don't feel you can abide by the letter and the spirit of the rules of unsupported racing, please stay home.

    Hopefully you have all gone over your maps, your strategies, and are all ready to rock and roll. Ride smart, ride safe, and let's have a great time on the KT!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

    "The only thing better than solitude, is society."

    ~Ed Abbey

  17. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    27

    Elevation Gains

    Here's a rough estimate of elevation gains from my map with sectional elevation profiles:

    Loma - Rabbit Valley: 1140

    RV - Cisco landing: 900

    CS - Dewey Bridge: 700

    DB - Fisher Valley: 3110

    FV - Castle Valley: 3320

    CV - Slickrock: 1820

    total: 10990'

    Any one have a more accurate info?

  18. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    579
    I think your elevation estimates are less than the actuals. All I have to go on is my Polar 720i but when I rode Dewey to Slickrock a couple of weeks ago it was almost 10K' of climbing.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

  19. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trail717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    445

    KTR Taper Plans?

    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    Hey Everyone,

    We are just TWO WEEKS OUT!.............................................. ...........

    .................................Hopefully you have all gone over your maps, your strategies, and are all ready to rock and roll. Ride smart, ride safe, and let's have a great time on the KT!
    The new bike is dialed in

    The nutrition/eating strategy that seems to be finally working (cross my fingers on this one)

    Have a “cool day” and a “hot day” water strategy in place

    Have done (for me) some good 07 base miles, some nice solo endurance rides and a few races

    Am now wondering what other (more experienced) endurance racers are doing to taper for the KTR?
    ---------------
    me have blog

    forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

  20. #95
    .......................
    Reputation: ionsmuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by trail717
    Am now wondering what other (more experienced) endurance racers are doing to taper for the KTR?
    If anything I'm less experienced, but today was my last bike ride over 2 hours. I'll be transitioning back into trail running to train for a race in June; my hope is small runs will be easy enough to make the taper work, while being enough activity to help me sleep. The week before the Rim Ride I did essentially nothing, and while the taper worked I slept horribly all week because I didn't feel tired. I hope to avoid that, at least to a certain extent.

    The week before I also hyperfocus on staying consistently hydrated and eating well, lots of variety with colors (fruits and veggies) the week before, then lots of complex carbs and protein in the 72 hours before. Lay some quality reserves.

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trail717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    445

    Old broken down knees

    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    If anything I'm less experienced, but today was my last bike ride over 2 hours. I'll be transitioning back into trail running to train for a race in June; my hope is small runs will be easy enough to make the taper work, while being enough activity to help me sleep. The week before the Rim Ride I did essentially nothing, and while the taper worked I slept horribly all week because I didn't feel tired. I hope to avoid that, at least to a certain extent.

    The week before I also hyperfocus on staying consistently hydrated and eating well, lots of variety with colors (fruits and veggies) the week before, then lots of complex carbs and protein in the 72 hours before. Lay some quality reserves.
    Well my knees don’t want me to run much over 30 min any more but I could limit my ride time.

    Hey, good ideas on hydration and eating, I think I will try the same, thanks.

    It is snowing at my house right now and I would like to get in some 'high temp' rides. I will be in GJ area for work next week and time permitting was thinking of riding (easy pace) a loop from Dewey Bridge up to either Fisher Valley (back down on Onion Creek) or on up and over to Castle Valley Road and back. This would be on Friday 11th, or exactly one week before the KTR. To much to late??
    ---------------
    me have blog

    forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: petersbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    156
    I rode Dewey to fish ford on thursday and Dewey to fisher Valley and back on friday. Saturday I rode Mary's loop to Mack ridge on down. Saturday I saw EnduroDoug out on his new Moots 29er beginning his Kokopelli trip.
    My questions and concerns include:
    Saw no water at fisher creek on friday.
    I have now resigned from doing this ride on a SS. I just feel like I will be destroyed. I was able to climb to the top of entrada bluffs road to top of the world but after that it was much hike a bike on the remaining climbing.
    I also think to taper or not has to do with what your goals are. I am just riding as long ride.

  23. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trail717's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    445

    Water, gots to have water

    Quote Originally Posted by petersbike
    I rode Dewey to fish ford on thursday and Dewey to fisher Valley and back on friday. Saturday I rode Mary's loop to Mack ridge on down. Saturday I saw EnduroDoug out on his new Moots 29er beginning his Kokopelli trip.
    My questions and concerns include:
    Saw no water at fisher creek on friday.
    I have now resigned from doing this ride on a SS. I just feel like I will be destroyed. I was able to climb to the top of entrada bluffs road to top of the world but after that it was much hike a bike on the remaining climbing.
    I also think to taper or not has to do with what your goals are. I am just riding as long ride.
    I am not aware of any “reliable” water down in Fisher Valley itself. Where Fisher Creek dumps down over the rim “into” FV is where you should find reliable water, about mile 109 (8000ft) per the KT map.

    In 06 I saw several strong riders on SS that did not finish, perhaps they may have with gears? On the other hand some with SS did very very well. As always this is a personal thing but If you are not sure you could do it geared this yr, and then always do it SS later.
    ---------------
    me have blog

    forever lost in the desert, except when in the mountains

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: petersbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    156
    That is good to know!
    Initially I had intended to ride the full last half but once I got down rose garden hill the weather started deterioating, rain, wind, and sleet. Rode to the fisher valley ranch turnoff ~ a mile past onion creek road. Thanks for the info.

  25. #100
    Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by trail717
    It is snowing at my house right now and I would like to get in some 'high temp' rides. I will be in GJ area for work next week and time permitting was thinking of riding (easy pace) a loop from Dewey Bridge up to either Fisher Valley (back down on Onion Creek) or on up and over to Castle Valley Road and back. This would be on Friday 11th, or exactly one week before the KTR. To much to late??
    That's a significant ride for the week prior - is it part of a good taper? It depends on what your training has been like. Generally speaking, a 2 week taper would have you doing something like 70% normal volume week 1 and 40-50% week 2 (but frequency the same or increased), with intensity the same or perhaps slightly higher. I like to do a 4-5 hour quick MTB ride the week prior to big ones where cadence is generally higher than typical.

    There are two things about your proposed route that might require adjustments to make it the perfect ride: the sustained grade of the shandy climbs, and the length. If it was me, I'd probably take out the entrada blufffs part, maybe loop onion creek and descend castleton. That gets rid of the steeper climbing and gets it in the 4 hour ballpark.

    But, everyone's different in this regard. Have fun with it!
    Dave

    Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

    2 Epic

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •