Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 KTR Update

Quote Originally Posted by frejwilk
    I may see you out there this weekend Ed.
    Fred - we'll keep an eye out for you. We're starting Sat. early in Loma and heading west to Dewey, planning to complete late Sat. We should be crossing paths.

Ed

Really I am that slow

5 bottles

And maybe a 60oz on the back if it looks like it might be hot

Not sure on all the rides/motel stuff yet more then a month away

Jeff it would be lovely to have yah out of the midwest
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Dewey Bridge to Moab pre-ride tentatively set for Apr 21 or 22.
    Ed E
    I was planning a Rim Ride redo that weekend, maybe I need to alter those plans. Of course if I can get down there Friday I could do both the RR and a Dewey-->Moab ride
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    For some reason today, I needed to find a way to self inflict some pain in mid-May. This event has become a very viable option now.

So what the heck does everyone suggest carrying? Filter water?

Just trying to get an idea of the inner vibe of this event.
    Like others have said, it all depends on your goals for the event. Along those lines, I'd suggest as a first time KTR rider that finishing is the best goal. KTR is a lot to bite off if this sort of thing is new to you. It's long, hot, arid, and finishes with a bit of elevation. A DNF will haunt you for a long time...a finish will be most rewarding.

Last year in the "race" I had a conservative plan - lots of food and fluids on board. A filter malfunction damn near ended my race at McGraw nonetheless... The 2nd time I rode it last year I was a lot lighter (although still filtered - twice!) and was well over an hour faster.

And if you want to race for the W, I'll state right now the event will be won or lost in the first ~80 miles.
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball_dh
    And if you want to race for the W, I'll state right now the event will be won or lost in the first ~80 miles.
    Interesting...

I was going over some trail details last night. I think the "elevation" in the second half is going to be killer. The miles pass quickly when you are in the dark, bombing down them. But in the heat, going up, and there is more up than I remember, they will tick by slowly.

The mojo from this event is starting to thicken, and I can feel myself getting excited for it once again.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

Just go ride!
    Interesting, indeed!

On one hand, if it turns out to be a hot day, and you don't get to Fisher Valley before things really start heating up, the section from Dewey to Fisher Valley, while only 18 miles, may be death incarnate.

On the other hand, to actually make it to Fisher Valley before the heat of the day sets in, you gotta be movin' so fast that the remaining 7000+ vertical feet to the finish may be death incarnate.

I'm actually getting a bit tired of the KT (shouldn't it really be the Kokopelli Road?!), and since I'm gonna do the GLR again, I wasn't sure about doing the KTR again this year. But, ya'll are sucking me in, especially after having missed the RR. Like a moth to a flame, with full knowledge that the flame is death incarnate...
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

This place needs an enema
    [/lurk mode]

Love to hear this kind of talk already. Tells me people are strategizing heavily. Good stuff.

Back to lurking...

MC

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    On one hand, if it turns out to be a hot day, and you don't get to Fisher Valley before things really start heating up, the section from Dewey to Fisher Valley, while only 18 miles, may be death incarnate.

On the other hand, to actually make it to Fisher Valley before the heat of the day sets in, you gotta be movin' so fast that the remaining 7000+ vertical feet to the finish may be death incarnate.
    Good points. For anyone thinkering with timing, how much water to carry, worst case scenarios, etc... read this at least once.

Not completely applicable because we were paced slower and loaded heavier, but it gives a very good idea of what can happen to even the best prepared of us.

Happy reading.

MC

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Good points. For anyone thinkering with timing, how much water to carry, worst case scenarios, etc... read this at least once.
    Wow, what a great read! I distinctly remember reading that over a year ago, but as the memory was from a your story rather than my experience, it had already faded for me. Meanwhile, my personal GLR memories - as I'm sure yours are - are still quite fresh in my mind. Rereading your 2002 experience, I am struck by so many similarities: heat, broken rack, walking the sand from tree to tree - Dewey bridge to Fisher Valley was so miserable! It's hard to imagine all that plus a smoky, hot, 25 mph headwind... Definitely a heads-up gut check that the KTR and GLR can become more serious than you can imagine or predict!

With the self-supported racing movement taking off, it's also interesting to get a glimpse of it in its infancy, before the rules were strictly defined. When it was only the 3 of you, accepting limited emergency support in the form of water, or a pill, or a strap was really no big deal. No one knew where you were, what was going on, or how huge of a challenge you were taking on. But, as these races have grown (in numbers and visibility), the rules have evolved. Now, the importance of a well defined rule set is clear, and it seems like that has been accomplished with the last few KTRs, GDRs, etc. I only wish I had been a part of this movement 10 years ago. So life-changing. So inspiring. And so humbling...
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    That's frightening - no - terrifying. Considering the CT is open to 8750' outside of Durango right now, it could turn out to be one of those years.
    Dave

2 Epic

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Good points. For anyone thinkering with timing, how much water to carry, worst case scenarios, etc... MC
    Holy Crap! That report is sufficient to keep KTR rookies, like myself, up at night. Let's summarize:

Well prepared wily veteran of 30+ ultra races who knows the trails and is acclimatized to the weather and altitude

Versus

83 - 100F Heat, headwind, sandy trails, minor mechanical and loaded bike

Equals

Dehydrated, hallucinating, bonking cyclist by mile 90

Resulting in

DNF.

Ok, mental note made. Got it. Back to thinkering now.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G

'xactly.

You're savvy enough to realize I didn't mean whoever is first to Dewey is gonna be the first to Moab. It could work out that way, but that's not where my money is. There will be no faking it on those long climbs to the finish

The route direction change makes this so interesting this year for those that have already done KTR, it's like a whole 'nuther race.

Just trying to keep MC entertained
    Dave

2 Epic

Grizzly
    That's frightening - no - terrifying. Considering the CT is open to 8750' outside of Durango right now, it could turn out to be one of those years.
    Ah c'mon we are going to have tailwinds and mana from heaven!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

Really I am that slow

hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    Ah c'mon we are going to have tailwinds and mana from heaven!
    are you moses then?
    Read my BLOG!

Scene along the way this weekend...

1) Memories.

2) Uncertainty.

3) Wary.

4) Encounters.

5) Bridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grizzly
    1) Memories.
    Whoa, I was actually emotional looking at the shot. No idea why. Maybe it was the fact that the hike-a-bike was probably the hardest moment in my biking life. It could be, that very near the spot that photo was taken was where I sat down and stopped caring about any racing and went into full on survival mode. Maybe it's the fact that Salt Creek still haunts me in my sleep, conjuring up fits of bitter heat and merciless dusty boulders.

I remember after getting up to that spot, I was regretting not dipping in the creek. I wanted to go back down, but of course that would mean climbing back up, which would have never happened.

Memories indeed.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

frejwilk
    Ed,

It was good to run into you out there. I wasn't too happy with the wind when that pic was taken. But I'm hoping for similar in May. Also, the Twizzler's in my hand aren't as good as Panda brand, but it's good to work this stuff out in a pre-ride...

Looks like you three had a great day.

Is that a Chukar?

FW

Really I am that slow

Good stuff

Can't wait to tackle that beast !
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    [QUOTE=frejwilk]
    Looks like you three had a great day.

Yes! We were extremely lucky we chose Saturday vs. Sunday for our ride. It was one of those fabulous days, not too hot, not too cold, great team to ride with and we were all on the same page as far as what we wanted to do and were able to do. It doesn't get much better than a long ride with good friends!

Good to meet you too Fred. I was at CB100 but never met you.

Thanks for the great photos and ride Ed and Jen.

Gary

Tucson, AZ

Carpooling from AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    Hello y';all, hoping to ride this thing and was wondering if there will be any post ride thing going on and anyone have an idea to get folks back to the trailhead? A car pool would be a great idea, just throwing that out there.
    Is anyone doing this race from Arizona? I want to do the race but prefer to carpool with someone from AZ to the trailhead.

Quote Originally Posted by chadfbrown
    Is anyone doing this race from Arizona? I want to do the race but prefer to carpool with someone from AZ to the trailhead.
    I live in Prescott, as of now my wife and I are going up for the race, ergo no room in the truck. If that doesn't happen I'll let ya know.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    I live in Prescott, as of now my wife and I are going up for the race, ergo no room in the truck. If that doesn't happen I'll let ya know.
    Thanks. I also might do your Kaibab Race in June if all goes well.

Nice blog by the way. Seems like we have some of the same hobbies.... teaching, mt biking, canyoneering, climbing.

the cool nerd
    KTR post-ride plans/logisitics have not been made yet.

Count me in!!!! So, let's get on to the important stuff, namely the post-ride logistics and dinner plans..
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    Count me in!!!! So, let's get on to the important stuff, namely the post-ride logistics and dinner plans..
    Planning on abusing the all you can eat pizza joint.... and becoming a member of there bar =)
    Read my BLOG!

the cool nerd
    we just have to make sure that there is no wait... for edemtb's sake...
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast