mtbr member
    Dec 2011

12 weeks left to train for 100k - Anyone know where to find a good training plan?

Just over 11 weeks really till a 100k race and would like a respectable time. (112km 'highland fling')

Did a google search for a 12 week 100k race plan and found a bit on road riding/ultramarathon running, but not so much mtb endurance - maybe it would be similar anyway??

Happy to night ride, and have a spin bike. No road bike. Was on track last year to ride 6hr30 I think, but got a cold the week before and the middle stage killed me (first and third stages done in the same time as a mate who rode 620. I stayed at the 'lounge' halfway for about 20-25min, finished in 730 - crapola!). I think if I train properly and avoid getting sick I should be able to beat the 630 by a good amount (I hope!)

I did a 100k training ride bang on 6hrs 4 weekends before the race, with the pace slowing the last 15k - The only ride I had done anywhere near that length, so didnt know how hard I could push. I didn't really have any structure to the training before that, just a couple of 50k rides then bashed out the 100. I didn't start this early either (even though 12 weeks is probably too late?)

SO:
    Should I start trying to do 100k rides once per week at a gradually decreasing time as I improve? Just focus on belting higher intensity 50k rides? Bit of each? I know hills have to be in there somewhere too haha

Any tips are welcome! (and any links to good training plans!)

mtbr member
    Check out Training Peaks they have a few good training plans (I just posted up the 100milers (160km), and while the cost of admission is a little on the expensive side, you can use the training peaks software for ever and a day. I purchased a 12hr Solo training plan back in 2005(?), and I find I use the software more now then I did back then. Not listed on the link above but there is also a "time crunched endurance mtb" plan which is quite good.

12 weeks is heaps of time, especially if you already have a base level of cycling fitness. I would spend the next few weeks doing longer low intensity rides on the weekend, while mixing in an assortment of shorter rides during the week focusing on tempo, sweet spot and threshold intervals (8/10/15/20min intervals), the MTB is great for this stuff as you have to work hard! A few weeks before the race I would focus on intensity over volume.

I would also be trying to ride four or five days a week even if one of those rides is an easy spin, work hard rest hard.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

12 weeks left to train for 100k - Anyone know where to find a good training p...

http://lwcoaching.com/?page_id=87

Her 6hr plan has really helped me. There is a 100km plan there also.

Cheers.