mtbr member
    Dec 2005

12 hours of Razorback

Enlighten me you kind souls........

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'll be there this year. SS style...My goal is 10 laps. I think I'll be able to accomplish that goal to. I've actually trained for it. If you're looking for info on it, check out ride424.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll be there. 12 hr solo. Check out the skinny kid riding the black sworks hardtail. That'd be me

Addicted to Dirt

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I'm In

Registered on Friday for 12 hour solo. Did 10 laps last gear on geared bike. This year racing on my single speed, unless my new Epic comes in time. See you in February. Later, BRD.

Go make a difference
    I'm in as well -- geared solo 12 hr. Since I broke my frame in October and am trying to figure out which 29'er I want, I saved some money and bought a superfab Access frame from Supergo for $120. It's actually a nice ride. Look for me on the svelte, black, limited edition Access frame -- stylin and profilin'!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    so are they going to have a SS class? I signed up for the expert class (i figure if i'm gonna get beat, I might as well get beat by the best) but was wanting to race in a SS class. Also, can we get there a day early to get our race packet or is that day of only?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah, they do have an ss class. There was a couple ballsy dudes out there last year on single speeds. I'm pretty sure you will be able to get your race packet day before, i think Sue Haywood is going to be doing autographs and what not on that friday as well. Im racing beginner since its my first 12 hr race, i do well on short course races. I dont think id be sandbagging though right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    never have layed eyes on this venue. What can be expected...Yes SS is my game too. Gearing? Terrain? The ususal suspects please....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Was there 2 weeks ago. Alot of fast single track, couple steep climbs and decents. About 2 big climbs. Overall Its a pretty fast course, with some technical climb sections and alot of fast foresty singletrack. Some particular sections abit rocky/rough but it smooths out again right after. Most of it is hardpack, with a couple sections of looser dirt. No sugar sand though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'll be running a 2x1 with some worn out 2.3 tires. I hear low rolling resistance is key out there. I guess I'll try and contact the race director to see if I can get in on the SS class.

Homey the Clown
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by browser
    never have layed eyes on this venue. What can be expected...Yes SS is my game too. Gearing? Terrain? The ususal suspects please....
    Whatever gear you're thinking about go smaller. There are alot of short steep climbs. 2:1 would let you go faster on the long, flat, windy bits, but lack of speed will only be your problem if you aren't pedalling at all, due to having run out of gas at the end. I can ride the course 2:1, but I sure wouldn't do that for 12 hours, or even 6.

jimbo

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the advice. All the training rides I've done have been on a 2x1 and I've had plenty of steep climbs with the gearing. I did 9 1/2 hours last weekend with it and my legs felt good to go. I'll be on the black 1x1 wearing PINK!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Im in again. I will drive down (from Charlotte Nc.)on Thur night and arr Fri morning. Iwill also be Solo. White Enduro Pro , Black Pontiac Vibe. C you there

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm in. SS. Not sure about gearing or tires yet.

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the info. 2x1 sounds about right. I do my long rides (4000-8000 ft of climbing) in the North Georgia Mtns in a 32x18 and can climb just about anything. Anything at this venue I cant pedal up means I can probably run it faster anyway....

mtbr member

Razorback - course description

Here is a great course description from last year's thread about the race, the course will probably stay the same this year:

The Course
    First of all, the course was marked with mile markers. Initially, I though this was good but as the race wore on, the markers, if you let them, could be deflating to your resolve. Mile 1 of the course consisted of some flat sections followed by traversing several times an 8-foot deep gully. Up on side, down the other. Mile 2 was pretty tough lots of up and down sections ending with a short steep climb.

Memories of miles 3, 4 and 5 have been temporarily suppressed due to extreme fatigue. The memories may come back with years of therapy but it won't be pretty.

Miles 6 and 7 were pretty flat to slightly downhill with some high-speed twisty single track through the pine forest. All big ring stuff for the first 4-5 laps, but discretion prevailed and I spun a smaller gear thereafter in hopes of avoiding "blowing up." This 2-mile section was the only time I could get my heart rate below 135.

Mile 8 was the toughest, with 2 climbs, much technical up and down riding and a ridiculously fast and rough downhill that in the event of a crash would have been my final resting place. Mile 8 also had a tricky little off camber climb that required a burst each lap to stay on the high line. I walked it once and it nearly killed me.

Miles 9 and 10 were not too bad. Mile 9 had the longest climb, a steep tricky section with loose limestone shavings that required a steady tempo.

Here is the link to the full thread (including pictures and two race reports): http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...98386#poststop.

dirtraces.com
    that's a pretty good description. however, the mile markers are NOT usually accurate in a race situation, unless the promoter uses all the trail. They mark the distances for the trail in it's regular weekend arrangement, and he mixes it up for the races. It's conceivable that it might be 1.3 miles between one pair of markers, then only .7 to the next one, etc.

So if you find them frustrating, just tell yourself they're wrong (even if they're not, you can still imagine they are).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does anyone know if the course is open tomorrow, February 10, for pre riding? I know it is usually only open on weekends but I was hoping they might make an exception as it is the week before a major event. Thanks in advance

dirtraces.com

unlikely

almost certainly no. if the park will be open on non-weekends, it'll be posted on goneriding.com, which in this case it isn't. it'll be open the day before of course, and maybe thursday, but probably just saturday and sunday this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFJosh
    almost certainly no. if the park will be open on non-weekends, it'll be posted on goneriding.com, which in this case it isn't. it'll be open the day before of course, and maybe thursday, but probably just saturday and sunday this week.
    Thanks a lot! Good thing I checked before I drove an hour. Do you know if the actual race course will be open this weekend to pre-ride? Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Course will be open Friday 9-5, Sat 10-10(The race), and Sun 9-5. So its possible to preride on friday of this week.

Members who have read this thread: 0