mtbr member
    Aug 2013

12 hour duo pacing advice

Hey Guys and Gals, I have my first duo 12 hour race this weekend and was wondering what a good strategy for pacing/switching riders would be? The course is a 7 mile loop so should be fairly quick laps so I was thinking something along the lines of hammering the first 4 laps alternating riders every lap and then switching to a more relaxed pace alternating every 2 laps until the last 2 hours or so. Would something like that make sense? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    the 30-40mins of rest time between single all out laps seem like it would be the perfect amount of time for your legs to really lock up and make getting back on pace hard. If you choose single laps then I can't stress enough that you get some fluids in you after, get your bike all ready and spend the rest of the time stretching and maybe a few min warmup if you logistics are solid.

Personally Id go 2 laps if they are over 40 mins and possibly 3 laps if they are closer to 30mins. I don't really think I can go much faster for 7 miles as I can 14 and I sure that's even more true after the 6th hr.

Are you guys going for a win or just want to have fun and do well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the advice! I hadn't considered 3 laps but that sounds good becuase I think they will be very fast laps given the course. Hopefully we will be in contention for the win but I'm not setting the bar too high given it's my first foray into endurance events.

AZ
    banned
    I wouldn't go too hard early, hard enough to stay in contention but keep in mind its an endurance race, you are going to have to have something in the tank at the end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah like AZ said save a little because it's easier to stay motivated in the 9-10-11 hrs when your the one doing the passing. I'd say go two laps moderate first and it'll be the First riders job to figure out where you stand and how they felt and feel. Then if they think they can go for three then do it. Be flexible because I can guarantee it won't go as planned and the duo that can keep a positive mindset through the whole thing win have the edge. It's the same for solos but with a duo you have some down time to clear your head and make a plan.

Grip it and rip it.
    I would just take it in turns to put the hammer down each lap, one lap at a time. I don't do 12 hour duos but this is what my buddies do that get on the podium. But make sure you try bring a turbo trainer or rollers to spin out the legs after each lap.
    Also I think its best to aim for consistency rather than easing off after a certain number of hours.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

jms
    mtbr member

Pick a fast partner

The best advice I can give you is to pick a really talented partner and have an equally talented/experienced pit person too. I was fortunate enough to have both last year for the Hammerstein 24 hr @ Laguna Seca.

We alternared with two lap pulls [55 min. to 1:05 laps] through the first 18 hours, and then finished up with solo laps. There was enough time between stints to cool down on the trainer [road bikes set up on a trainer], eat something, make repairs [if needed on the bike], and warm up on the trainer before going out again.

Since one of us was always out riding, along with handling the wrenching, and "care & feeding" duties, our pit person acted as the "communication system" between us during the race. I suggest you find one or two competent people to help you with this aspect.

If you have the luxury, bring "back up" bikes and ask for duplicate number plates at registration. In the event of a mechanical, being able to switch over to a familiar spare bike can save your race. You're probably going to do at least three night laps @ Temecula, you can also have your lights mounted and aimed on that second bike ahead of the event and not have to deal with that hassle during the race. Single laps at night will allow you run maximum candle power. Set up your lap rotation that with your best night rider doing the majority of the after dark laps

Best destiny @ Temecula - I've never found that course all that entertaining.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've done 4 of these for fun and racing to win. The last one resulted in 2nd place a lap down from the winners. We rode a 7 mile course with lap times in the 35is min range. We decided to go two laps a time. The winners went one lap at a time.

Next time, we will do one lap a time and later in the race if we are hurting then maybe consider 2 but no more. Everyone in the top few are going to be fast for the first 6-8 hours. After 8 hours, the wheels start to fall off and who can hold onto their lead.

Biggest thing is have no pit time. The pace will be higher than a 24 and most good teams will not fall apart. Don't try to prove anything in the first 4 hours, stay consistent.