mtbr member
    Oct 2012

100k race mid-August and had no time to train for the last 5 weeks, what to do?

I have been planning on riding the Hampshire 100k (my first long XC event) in mid-August, and my training was really coming along nicely. I was getting 2 or 3 1.5 hour rides in during the week, and then a 3-4 hour ride on the weekend, and most of the rides had a proportional elevation profile (race is 100k, 7k of climbing). Then in early/mid June a mix of schedule, injury, and drenching rains really cut my training back; I have only been able to get 7 < 1 hour rides in since then, plus a couple other trail runs, very brief interval workouts on indoor bikes, a little bit of strength training, and walks (yes, walks, with my wife and dog, I count everything). So in other words, I haven't been sedentary, but I have been missing my training volumes by a lot.

If I can ramp my training back up over the next 5 weeks to what it was, do you all think I can do the 100k with minimal chance of bonking? The problem is I think I will have to start back slowly at this point. I am not looking to compete; I just need to be fit enough that I can complete it and still walk the next day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Isn't feeling dead the next day the whole point in doing this? You will suffer anyway, no matter if your trained or not. Just for different reasons.

Try to get your weekly long ride for the next 3-4 weeks. You may want to go a little longer than 3-4 hrs. Do some intensity workouts during the week. And simply keep it easy on race day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by quax View Post
    Isn't feeling dead the next day the whole point in doing this? You will suffer anyway, no matter if your trained or not. Just for different reasons.

Try to get your weekly long ride for the next 3-4 weeks. You may want to go a little longer than 3-4 hrs. Do some intensity workouts during the week. And simply keep it easy on race day.
    Given your situation, it would be very, very hard to argue with quax's recommended approach.

If you really don't care about placing, break the race into thirds. Do the first third easy enough that you're a little annoyed with yourself. Hit the second third at whatever intensity feels just right. Then in the final third, just put everything you have left into it.

If it goes reasonably well, and you enjoy it, go back next year and race for place!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ride indoors with trainer road. Add some sufferfest and you should get on track.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    in my younger years I had a former East-German coach. He made us ride indoors facing a blank white wall. Literally for hours. He called it "character building".

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Update:

I have been bike commuting 2-3 times per week, 45 minutes each way, on an old steel mountain bike with Velociraptors (= very slow road tires) that probably approaches 40 pounds with all my stuff on it. Think Rocky Balboa approach to training. I then went as far as building a backyard singletrack maze with log crossings and really tight and twisty turns though mud etc, so I have been getting my techy, anaerobic training in there as much as possible for 30-45 minutes at a clip (neighbors think I am nuts). Doing a small amount of high rep weight training when I can, and then doing increasing length rides on the weekends....scheduled for a 2 hour spin this Saturday and a 4 hour spin this Sunday....maybe followed with some more time on the backyard track. Hoping add an hour to those longer rides each weekend, so hopefully will get a 6-7 hour jaunt in sometime before the "race".

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You're not racing on the Rumblefish, are you? Doing a 100k endurance race on that 30lb bike will surely kill your quads...amongst other things. Get a lighter bike. Wanna borrow my Superfly 100 Pro? It's almost 23 pounds....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    You're not racing on the Rumblefish, are you? Doing a 100k endurance race on that 30lb bike will surely kill your quads...amongst other things. Get a lighter bike. Wanna borrow my Superfly 100 Pro? It's almost 23 pounds....
    Nope - I have a Salsa Spearfish 2 that I will using for this event. Believe it or not, its only about 2 pounds lighter overall, but waaay more efficient (stiffer suspension and the bigger rotating parts are lighter). That being said, I have been doing a good amount of my riding on the RF. I figure since I cannot get as much volume as ought to, I might as well up the intensity a bit with a heavier, squishier bike with tubed Nevegals on it. I have the geometry set up close enough on each that switching back and forth is not much of a shock. When I switch back to the Spearfish its a breath of fresh air for sure, especially on the climbs.

23 lbs sounds pretty nice though....