mtbr member
    Sep 2008

100 Mile NUE (Specifically Cohutta 100) drinking strategy

This will be my first 100 mile race. I've done my fair share of 6 hour races, 1 9 hour, 65+ mile (ORAMM) a couple of times, etc. So I know how to strategize/plan for those.

For example, for 6 hours, my recent strategy, which worked really well, has been to start with a 70oz CamelBak and ride straight for 3 hours, which is usually 3 laps, and then switch to a bottle and stop every lap after that for a bottle swap. I start the race a touch heavy, but it's easily made up by not having to stop and I make up a lot of ground in the first 2 laps with that.

For ORAMM I did something similar to where I did a 70oz and sent a zip lock of drink mix and a full bottle to the station. "One stop" strategy, where 3 hours into the race, I'll stop, refill the camelback+powder, grab the bottle, and take off. It's 1 slightly longer stop, but the volunteers are fast and it works out perfectly. When you quickly refill one of those 70oz camelbacks without taking the reservoir out, you're only getting about 50oz in there, so that's why I send a bottle too. I get 6 hours of fuel that way.

Now, what should I do for the hundo? I'm "expecting" a 9:30-10:00 finish time. With 9:30 being the goal, but being able to back off to 10:00 if I feel terrible. Thinking about the weather, I'll be right on my ~20-24oz per hour plan as it won't be terribly hot, but not cold either.

Should I keep my ORAMM strategy? Start with the 70oz and plan on just doing 2 aid station stops for a camelbak refill/bottle?

I hesitate to send an additional full camelbak up as a) it will be all warm and nasty by the time I get it, and b) I hate waiting at the end of the race for the aid station stuff to come back, especially if they are running late. And also, one caveat. I'm on a Superfly100 which only has 1 bottle mount.

Thoughts? Ideas?

mtbr member
    Your ORAMM strategy is similar to what I would do. For the SM100 I had a 70oz camelbak with water and a bottle with strong drink mix. I had a second bottle of mix at aid station 4. I stopped to top off my camelbak at aid 2,4 and 5 but probably could have skipped topping it off at aid 5.

endurance xc
    I am curious to see what people say. I wish I could drink 20-24oz per hour, but I am a 32oz per hour drinker. I was going to bring two 24 oz bottles. 48/32 = 1.5 hours of fuel per refill.

The breakdown of the stops are as follows:
    16.5 miles to #1
    6 m to #2
    13.5 m to #3
    15 m to #4
    9 m to #5
    13 m to #6
    13.5 m to #7
    6.5 m to #8
    7 m to Finish

from - Description

I may just stop and top off my bottles with water at every aid station to be safe. I will have individual bags for each 24 oz bottle. For me the trick will be to not waste my nutrients, but it looks like the stations will be close enough for bottles to work well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was thinking #3 and #6 would be my "fill up the camelback and grab the spare bottle" stations.

i could use 4/5/7 as the emergency "it's hotter than I thought, fill up this bottle" stations.