Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: **CTR Thread**

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

**CTR Thread**

First update - pics will be up tomorrow! Thanks CHRIS!!!

The CTR is underway!!!!!

This is directly from Chris P, who was at the start this afternoon. Thanks Chris.

Sounds like its a solid field - experience vs. endurance - Matt Lee showed up. I'm sure coming off the GDR gave him some solid stamina. Not sure what to think about a Denver Post reporter making a story of this - but we'll see how it pans out. Good luck to all the racer - it'll be an interesting week or two...

Pics will post tomorrow morning

And they're off!!!

The CTR pre-race meeting began as you might expect considering the cast of
    characters that would dare to dream of even starting such a ride. The
    meeting was pretty laid back and between noon and 1:00 p.m. 8 of the 10
    riders straggled in. At 1:00 they went over the Wilderness detours and other
    specific trail notes along with the usual basics such as "leave no trace,"
    and war stories from other rides.

Just before 2 p.m. they all headed out to the Waterton Canyon parking lot
    where gear was assembled and strapped to bikes and couple more riders showed
    up. There was the usual group photo and a Denver Post reporter was
    interviewing riders and even joined them for a ways up the trail. Look for
    his story in the paper next week.

At 3:00 p.m. sharp the riders began with a neutral start for the first 6
    miles to Strontia Springs Reservoir to warm up those legs and get to know
    one another. At the reservoir all was fair game and they were off!

The field consisted of the following 10 riders:

Jim Ishman (Silverthorne, CO)
    Dan Montgomery (Dillon, CO)
    Ethan Passant (Crested Butte, CO)
    Fred Wilkinson (Moab, UT)
    Jason Trimm (Crested Butte, CO)
    Mathew Lee (North Carolina)
    Dave Nice (Denver, CO)
    Stefan Griebel (Boulder, CO)
    Jefe Branham (Gunnison, CO)
    Mark Caminiti (Silver Plume, CO)

Pre-race photos, group and individual shots, plus some trail photos are soon
    to follow.

Cheers,
    Chris P

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Dave Nice Call in -

Reporting in at the start line at Waterton canyon. Um Matt Lee and I rode from Quodba after the pre race meeting, we were the only ones to ride to the trailhead. Uh, Matt Lee and I had a flat this morning getting down to Waterton Canyon, hopefully we got that bad ju-ju out of our way. Its lookin like theres about a dozen of us. Looks like a couple single speeders, I'm on the fixed and the rest, everybody else is on a mix of 29-ers 26 full suspension and all that good stuff. Hope to call from ****** if theres a phone there, if not then Frisco or Copper. Thanks...

mtbr member
    Woah - Ethan Passant is there? Two time Montezuma's Revenge champion and a dominant force on the Colorado Randonee uphill/downhill alpine mountaineering ski racing series. I'd tab him as the favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Froman
    First update - pics will be up tomorrow! Thanks CHRIS!!!

The CTR is underway!!!!!

This is directly from Chris P, who was at the start this afternoon. Thanks Chris.

Sounds like its a solid field - experience vs. endurance - Matt Lee showed up. I'm sure coming off the GDR gave him some solid stamina. Not sure what to think about a Denver Post reporter making a story of this - but we'll see how it pans out. Good luck to all the racer - it'll be an interesting week or two...

Pics will post tomorrow morning

And they're off!!!

The CTR pre-race meeting began as you might expect considering the cast of
    characters that would dare to dream of even starting such a ride. The
    meeting was pretty laid back and between noon and 1:00 p.m. 8 of the 10
    riders straggled in. At 1:00 they went over the Wilderness detours and other
    specific trail notes along with the usual basics such as "leave no trace,"
    and war stories from other rides.

Just before 2 p.m. they all headed out to the Waterton Canyon parking lot
    where gear was assembled and strapped to bikes and couple more riders showed
    up. There was the usual group photo and a Denver Post reporter was
    interviewing riders and even joined them for a ways up the trail. Look for
    his story in the paper next week.

At 3:00 p.m. sharp the riders began with a neutral start for the first 6
    miles to Strontia Springs Reservoir to warm up those legs and get to know
    one another. At the reservoir all was fair game and they were off!

The field consisted of the following 10 riders:

Jim Ishman (Silverthorne, CO)
    Dave Nice (Denver, CO)

Pre-race photos, group and individual shots, plus some trail photos are soon
    to follow.

Cheers,
    Chris P

Rocky Mountain High
    I haven't heard any definitive reports yet, but it's looking like weather is gonna be a factor. I'm seeing strong chances of heavy rain in the racer's path.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Another update from yesterday

About 3:50 P.M.

At about 8 miles into the ride and only 2 miles on single track, the field
    is basically still together. Five lead riders of Stefan, Mathew, Fred,
    Ethan, and Jason seem to have set a tempo and are all hanging together (see
    photos).

Only a minute back are Jefe and Dan with Mark another minute behind them.
    The two single speeders follow a mere 3 minutes back each with Dave riding a
    single speed fixie and Jim a single speed freewheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Race Start

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    Woah - Ethan Passant is there? Two time Montezuma's Revenge champion and a dominant force on the Colorado Randonee uphill/downhill alpine mountaineering ski racing series. I'd tab him as the favorite.
    True, he tore up CB this past weekend. We'll see how he holds up over a couple days, once the race goes mental. Matt and Fred have massive strength in the head, so it'll make for some good reading in the leather lounger over scotch and cigars (eh, Ed?).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Leaders at the 350PM Update

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stefan

Matt Lee

Mark

Jim

Jefe

Jason

Fred

Ethan

Dave

Dan

mtbr member
    Looks like lots of different gear selections. Jefe w/ most everthing on his bike to Caminiti's nekkid DH setup.

mtbr member
    Exactly. We should all go to the Brown Palace and analyze this proper style.

Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    True, he tore up CB this past weekend. We'll see how he holds up over a couple days, once the race goes mental. Matt and Fred have massive strength in the head, so it'll make for some good reading in the leather lounger over scotch and cigars (eh, Ed?).

mtbr member
    May 2005

Look Mom - No Hands

When I was down at the starting line, I noticed on Mark's bike that he has what he calls a "hands free" device that you probably can not see in the photo. It is a length of coat hanger wire doubled over, twisted together, and attached to the end of one handlebar. This allowed him to sit up on his saddle and grab this steer wire to direct his bike.

I talked to him about it on the neutral ride out to Strontia and he said he is experimenting with this idea so that he doesn't have to be hunched over all the time. He thought it would work out well on easier terrain, but had not illusions that he would be able to sit up for the whole ride.

It was an interested idea, considering he put all of his gear on his body. I'm skeptical about loading up the body with gear. I'm sure it would destroy my back, but heck - perhaps it will be the new thing. Interesting none the less.

Cheers,
    Chris Piper

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Those of you using IE probably noticed that the mtbcast.com page was fubar'd. I rarely us anything but Firefox so when I made some changes I didn't notice it was screwed up. Thanks, Matt McFee, for pointing it out. It should look fine now.
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

Really I am that slow

I'm Out

Thanks Edmtb for the bail out from Deckers....

Rain,

Crash,

Broken Bike , broke brooks, bent/dented niner fork, computer cable

Me bruised hip, elbow,shin

Maybe a cracked rib

Good luck to everyone else hopefully I took care of the Bad JuJu
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Call in from Jim Ishman. Jim withdrew at Silverthorne:

Hey itís Jim, calling and checking in from Silverthorne. Um, Iím officially out of the race. A couple little mechanicals added up to be a big pain in the butt. So, um, I am pulling the plug. I wish good luck to everybody. Looks like thereís a strong possibility of rain up here so hopefully those guys are staying dry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Call in from Dave - although it looks like he beat me too it. Dave crashed a couple times, damaging his bike and himself and withdrew from the race.

This is Dave, had to bail in Deckers off route. Had a crash during the evening during the rain. Had another crash this morning and donít know which crash it may have happened on but it put a quarter size dent in my right fork leg, not to mention my right hip and elbows are a little sore, so Iím out. Only two highlights really Ė the milkshake Iím eating right now and when Mathew Lee asked if I was carrying a shock pump. Anyway, Iím out. Iíll talk to you soon, bye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Call in from Stefan - Arrived at Copper at 4:43PM Friday (25:43 Elapsed). I haven't recieved any other call-ins yet, so it appears Stefan is in the lead.

Hey Abe or Joe, its Stefan, I just arrived at Copper Mountain. Itís 4:43 Friday. Last night was pretty epic Ė it pretty much drizzled all night long. The road was sopping wet and muddy, and the last thing I wanted to do was have a sopping wet cold bivy so I pushed on through the night and now I think I need to go and get some sleep. Yup, groovy Ė talk to you guys in a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So we're down to eight riders:

It appears Stefan is in the lead, hitting Copper at 443PM Friday afternoon - 25:43 elapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    Thanks Edmtb for the bail out from Deckers....
    No worries Dave. Sorry that you had to bail but I was glad to see you were alright.

It looks like Jim also bailed, too bad. Nice effort Jim!

Good luck to the remaining contestants

Get some rest and see you soon Dave -

Ed

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Second episode is up with Jim, Dave, and Stefan. Wouldn't you know after I post Jefe calls in. I'll have that for playback tomorrow.
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jefe call in at 803PM Ė elapsed time 29:03

Hello, this is Jefe calling in from CTR. Iím at Copper Mountain, just want to let you know Iím on course doing alright, and looking forward to the rest of the race, and I guess Iíll call in again at Buena Vista. Alright, I think thatís all I got to do so Iíll talk to you later. Bye.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

update from the copper pay phone

Alison here. I went to copper yesterday to see if i could run into anyone and apparently just missed Ethan, Stephan, and Fred. Not sure of the order at that point. Rode down the bike path and ran into Jefe between Frisco and Breck around 7pm. He looked great, but said his legs were a bit heavy. He said he camped near the lake on the road last night, and that he saw Ethan in the AM, as Ethan had slept in late and then passed him in the morning. I rode backwards up to the Gold Creek turn off and it started raining, but saw no one else. Jason called in around 8:30 this morning and said that he ran out of food, cramped up and got rained on while bivying on both nights, but that he plan was to keep sleeping at night and not riding much at night due to the large amount of daylight right now, and also trying to pace and get rested. He said he felt much better at Copper and hoped to get between leadville and BV tonight. I drove from Copper to Crested Butte last night in heavy rain. Looks like it would have been a tough night out for all involved last night. Ethan got a ride to Denver with Jason and I, and I don't think he has a bivy, but he is tougher than nails! I have a fun video from the ride at the beginning of the race, is there any way to post it?

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AGSNOW
    I have a fun video from the ride at the beginning of the race, is there any way to post it?
    http://www.youtube.com/

You can certainly post a link to your upload on youtube. You may also be able to imbed the video in the forum, but I don't think I've seen it done yet.
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

youtube.com video of gentleman's start

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    FWIW
    Ran into Mathew Lee and Dan Montgomery on Main St. Frisco this morning at around 9am. They both said that it has been VERY wet, but also very fun. Their main priority at that point was getting breakfast, so I get out of the way and they were off.

Mathew is a friggin machine. GDR, then guiding a group on the "Canadian Prologue" of the GDR for Adventure Cycling and now CTR! Impressive and inspiring. He has my vote for tough guy of the year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Fred- 520AM (Elapsed Time 38:20)

Hey this is Fred W calling from Copper Mountain Conoco. I’m here with Ethan P, time is, I guess just almost 520AM. Spent the night in Frisco, it was really rainy, hopefully everyone else isn’t too wet. We’re gonna ride on towards Leadville and hopefully Buena Vista today. Good luck to the other riders. Talk to you soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jason (41:45 elapsed)

Hey this is Jason, Iím at Copper Mountain, its about 845AM. Things are going good. A little discouraging yesterday morning, ran a little low on food, but I just spent $32 at a Loaf and Jug so I should be set. Thanks everyone for the good thoughts. Iíll call back again in Buena Vista. Bye

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Matt Lee (elapsed 41:40 Frisco)

Hey MTBCast, its Mathew Lee calling from Frisco, Colorado. Itís about 840AM in the morning and I just had a big fat breakfast and I think Iím powered up to head on for Copper and beyond. The trail is riding great, Iím felling really tired but I have defaulted to a pleasure pace that seems to work for me. Iím really excited about the trail. Georgia Pass downhill last night was amazing - lots of roots, rocks and reggae East Coast style. Iím happy and the rain hasnít been too bad Ė so spirits are good. I hope everyone else is doing well. Ok, take care.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stephan at Leadville (aprox 850AM, elapsed 41:50 at Leadville)

Hi itís Stephan, just rolling through Leadville. Got a little screwed by the rain last night and had to back off *** pass and had to bivy Ė actually bivied on the front porch of Janetís Cabin. I wake up and see a headlamp going up so I race up to catch him and it was Jefe. Weíve been kinda playing cat and mouse and Iíll be out of here in a few. Um, forecast is, well I donít know what the forecast is but just lookiní out its more rain. Thereís been a lot of rain. Never been so happy to have raingear and booties. OK, bye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jefe (850AM Leadville, elapsed 41:50)

Hello, this is Jefe. Probably just heard from Stefan, but I am in Leadville as well. Weíre at the Safeway getting some food and getting read to head out. Thanks for receiving this message and things are going pretty good. Thank you, bye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Dan (Copper at 1005AM, elapsed 43:05)

This is Dan from Dillon, Iím at Copper Mountain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stephan (Buena Vista 606PM, elapsed 51:06)

Hey its Stephan, Iím just rolling out of Buena Vista towards some nice rain clouds over the avalanche trailhead area but it hasnít rained yet today so thatís a bonus. Iím about half way done mileage wise, not true for elevation gain but I feel alright, my crankset is a little bit loose, Iím kinda worried about that. Wonder where everybody is - Iím sure Iíll see all kinds of people out there. Bye

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jefe (Buena Vista 643PM Ė elapsed 51:43)

Hey there, this is Jefe calling from Buena Vista, doing alright. Just got some food and some coffee. Iím gonna head out to Cottonwood pass and head south. Everything is going good and Iíll talk to you soon. Bye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    As of Buena Vista
    1. Stefan 51:03
    2. Jefe 51:43
    3. Mathew 52:30
    3. Ethan 52:30
    5. Fred 55:00
    5. Jason 55:00
    Last edited by Froman; 07-22-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Holy crap those guys are close together after riding for so long! Hope Stefan's crank stays together, I had a RF outboard crankset that was perfect for months and then suddenly refused to stay together (literally) for no apparent reason.

What a strong and inspiring field of riders! (says the guy with wet gear from a mighty 90 minute evening rain ride)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry for the late post, guys. The audio for all these is up at MTBCast.com EP3.
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

mtbr member
    this is dan atleadville 66 hours into it. rain over copper mtn. about did me in, but after a twelve hour break at a hotel. I'll be off taking it easy and seeing what happens. getting dry is nice, hope it lasts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ethan (Buena 730PM, elapsed 53:30)

Hey there this is Ethan from Crested Butte, CO on the CTR in Buena Vista. Its Saturday at 730PM. Alright, things are going well, gonna head out to the hot springs and soak a little bit I think. Iíll call you once I get to Lake City. Chow

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Mathew Lee (Leadville 730PM, elapsed 52:30)

Hey this is Mathew Lee calling from Leadville, CO. It is 730PM and Iím riding out a pretty nasty storm at the Conoco, and it doesnít look like its gonna stop any time soon. So, who knows when Iíll be leaving here. Itís the second time today I got lambasted with rain, looks like the monsoons are full on, so yea, tough going. OK, see ya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Fred (Buena Vista 10PM, elapsed 55:00)

Hello this is Fred, Iím one of the CTR racers and Iím in Buena Vista, its probably around 1000 PM and I just rolled in with Jason, actually the two of us rode down into town together. I think weíre both trying to find a place to sleep for the night, maybe bivy up in the town park or something like that. Talk to you soon, bye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jason (Buena Vista 645AM, Elapsed 63:45)

Hey this is Jason, Iím in Buena Vista, its 645AM. Another rainy night but it looks good, blue skies and Iím on my way. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Oh so close and sweet!

Way to go racers. I would never have thought it would be this close between the top riders, especially how close it is between Stefan and Jefe.

Stefan - I almost cracked open the Chimay Imperial Ale you gave me, but I decided to save it for your return. We'll share it - or I'll just come up to the Sun and we'll drink stout. Go, Go, Go - don't let Jefe sneak past you in the night!

Jefe - way to go - when I met you at the start line, I instantly pegged you as the one to watch for the race. Here's wishing you well.

Chris

I'm how far behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Froman
    A couple little mechanicals added up to be a big pain in the butt.
    FWIW- I stripped two crank bolts- guess I did not tighten them enough when I swapped out the 34 for a 32. All I had was the sharp flat head on an Alien tool which was too much for the alloy bolts. Got it tight enough to baby it then I broke a spring in my pedal, not too big of a deal since they had a little platform, then came the rain with made the platform slick. Top it off with a late addition of a rear rack that hit the tire with every flex of the seat post.

My call in made it sound like I bailed from Silverthorne, which is where I was calling from. I actually bailed from Section 2 and rode out to 285 and called my wife for a ride home.

jim
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Mark (Copper 3PM Sunday, elapsed 72 hours)

Hey this is Mark, it 300PM. Iím in Copper Mountain, its Sunday. Heading out towards the pass. Had a massive drive train failure at about mile 30. Been stuck in 7th gear, broken rear shifter for the last 130 miles. Got that fixed in Frisco, feelin better now, gonna try to make Leadville by tomorrow morning. Been a pretty good ride so far, other than the mechanicals. Talk to you guys in Leadville.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Mathew Lee (Buena Vista Sunday 545PM, 74:45 elapsed)

Hey, Mathew Lee here in Buena Vista. 545PM, just loaded up for a couple days of riding and headed to Princeton Hot springs. The weather was good today. Alright, bye.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Dan (Buena Vista 74:53 elapsed)

This is Dan from Dillon, 74:53 elapsed, Iím in Buena Vista, loaded heavy with food, going up to where ever. Feelin good, weather looks good [long pause], um, see ya later.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The audio is up for last night. Go here or get it from iTunes.
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

mtbr member

This part of the course

So does anybody know anything about the course from Marshall Pass to Lake City, and for that matter, Silverton? I hear it's almost completely flat and totally smooth too.

Isn't this near where Alfred Packer ate his whole group? Hope that doesn't happen here.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If there's anyone out there who has done the route or race and would like to do a spot for the show let me know. I'd like to get some insight into the route.
    _______
    JP
    MTBCast.com!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Jefe (Lake City, 443PM Monday, elapsed 97:40)

Hey there guys, this is Jefe. I am in Lake City just getting some food and heading out Iím *** (something about an engineer) *** and Iíll call you when I get to Silverton. Cool, thanks, bye.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast