mtbr member
    Jan 2015

$3500 Budget - FS Endurance'ish Bike ~25lbs?

Is this possible? 100-120mm.

So far I think the Salsa Spearfish gx1 is the only thing that comes close. Looks to be about 26lbs and a bit over 3500.

Im doing my first 50miler this coming weekend on my Beargrease with 27.5+ wheels and a RS Bluto (probably 28lbs). I'm lucky because its a fairly smooth route, but during my training I noticed, the longer rockier trails were just too much... for my body after 30-35mi

Used Epic Carbon seems to be an option, but not sure about Brain. I am looking for comfort and small bump compliance over the long haul and worry the epic will be too racey?

mtbr member
    What size are you looking for? I have a medium 2016 Jet9 RDO, Nox carbon wheels, full XTR, Enve cockpit, excellent condish. Just under 23 lbs. PM if you want more details.

Great for endurance ride and keeping your body feeling fresh over long distances.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The bikes that come to mind immediately would be a Cannondale scalpel, specialized Epic, or a Scott Spark. Get one of those used and you would find one in your budget for sure. The niner jet9 offered above is also an amazing bike.

Did you want to stick with 27 and 1/2 or go to 29?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    2018 Giant Anthem 29er. $3750 MSRP. Good Geo. Carbon Wheels. GX Eagle. Efficient suspension design. Good warranty. I'm guessing they are around 26 lbs too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for the input guys. The scalpel looks the most comfortable. I used to own a Stumpjumper HT 29, and have ridden my friends Epic FSR Comp carbon 29 of the same year, and it was very similar to my hard tail, the comfort benefits were minimal, especially compared to my Fuel EX 29 with 120mm.

I know 80-100mm travel frames wont be earth shattering in the comfort/med hit dept, but the epic felt harsh.

I like Scott (my road bike is a cr1 that doubles as a gravel grinder), great carbon layup. I am going to try and find a demo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fazz View Post
    2018 Giant Anthem 29er. $3750 MSRP. Good Geo. Carbon Wheels. GX Eagle. Efficient suspension design. Good warranty. I'm guessing they are around 26 lbs too.
    ^THIS. One of my LBS has one, large, and I am definitely interested. Looks like a smoking deal. Not sure about meastro susp. I mean Giant is a world brand, so I cant imagine I could go wrong. especially with those components.

The other one I am now considering is the XT Yeti ASR-C. It's a little more expensive (4k), but I've always wanted a Yeti ever since I used to live in Golden, CO. I also like the 120mm front fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yeah, I'm mainly doing 50+ Mile races and I plan to get one as soon as funds allow.

I've been on Giants for a while and I like their Maestro suspension. It's very similar to the dual-link suspension designs like DW-Link (which people rave about on bikes like the Pivot 429 SL).....in fact there was even a lawsuit due to the similarity. I like this style of suspension as you don't need to use a lockout to stay efficient (like on a Spark, Top Fuel, or Epic-Brain). Just leave the shock in the platform setting and forget about it.

Giants also seem to be quite reliable. Their pivot bearings are quite large and hold up to abuse. Their warranty is very good (lifetime for original owner).

For me, if money was no object, I'd get a Yeti too. I especially like the SB bikes, however the lighter single-pivot ASR-C apparently descends quite well and my friends love theirs. However, I have heard it said, that if you want a Yeti, buy two. They seem a bit fragile, and sometimes they take a while to get replacement parts.

The other thing is that this is a pretty good time of year to pick up a bike on closeout, so keep your eyes peeled. You might find a bargain on a 2017 bike when the new colors for 2018 come out....unfortunately, the Giant Anthem 29er is a new model for 2018, so you won't find deals on those.

In the end we're probably splitting hairs as bikes are all really good these days. I'm sure you'll love whatever you get.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've been on Giants for a while and I like their Maestro suspension. It's very similar to the dual-link suspension designs like DW-Link (which people rave about on bikes like the Pivot 429 SL).....in fact there was even a lawsuit due to the similarity. I like this style of suspension as you don't need to use a lockout to stay efficient (like on a Spark, Top Fuel, or Epic-Brain). Just leave the shock in the platform setting and forget about it.
    The Maestro copying DW issue only applied to the first iteration, which was used on the Iron Horse bikes, but from that point, they diverged significantly. At this point, and over the last several years, they aren't even close. What is close are the bikes like Yeti, Intense, Santa Cruz, Canfield, these all use fairly flat AS curves up around 100% through a large portion of the travel (at least halfway) before dropping off, which gives consistant pedaling performance in/out of the saddle, with more or less sag, when the suspension compresses and when it doesn't, etc. Even quite a few single-pivot bikes are now offering similar kinematics, such as the Evil bikes and Devinci. This is only one aspect of how a bike will react of course, the leverage ratio and shock tune are also two important features. Despite being designed by major manufacturers, some bikes still have wacky leverage ratios, the incorrect shock for the application/rate (coil or air), incorrect tune, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Everyone seems pretty skeptical of the Bulls bikes, but you might want to consider those. I read as much as I could and went with a Wild Edge team (I don't think the dumb name helps with marketing); XTR 11 speed build, RS-1/xx, 100mm, for $3200 shipped; - it sounds kind of like what you're looking for, and it was a new xtr fs I could actually afford. My friend bought one too, he had a really hard time deciding between M and L, he's about exactly between the two, but went with a Large. Mine is XL, it's about exactly 25 pounds with XTR pedals/tubeless with sealant and a bottle cage (Peyote front Thunder Burt rr, now appx 25.75 pounds with Control casing Ground Control 2.3s). I think the XT version is about a pound heavier, but $900 less. I've had it about 3 weeks, raced only hardtails prior, it's so much more comfy and smooth, and I have no complaints at all about the climbing.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A little higher priced...but: any opinions on the Turner Czar for Endurance XC? Looks good on paper, but is it still relevant?

Sorry for the hi-jack, but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

mtbr member
    Check out the Norco Revolver 9.2 FS. I demoed the 9.2 and loved it, I ended up buying a frameset and building it up. It's a very fun bike.

24.2 lb.

Tested: Norco Revolver 9.2 FS « Mountain Flyer Magazine

00 Budget - FS Endurance'ish Bike ~25lbs?-norco-9.2-fs.png

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Wait until Canyon enters the US market. Coming a little later in the year.

Full suspension XC bike, at 25 lbs for under $3500:

https://www.canyon.com/en/mtb/lux/lu...-pro-race.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheels7 View Post

I am looking forward to this

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Large is 25.7 as it comes in the box from giant. Easy 24 with a few diet items.

I was coming to say giant anthem. I ride one. Its the best bang for buck in the industry for 25lb, you can pay 5k for a 24lb all carbon trek top fuel. Or get the anthem and have money left over. And be just as fast.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    " Its the best bang for buck in the industry for 25lb" (anthem).
    I disagree, I'm probably as cheap (or 'frugal') as anybody here, - I don't think you can beat the 'Bulls Wild Edge 29+' (not a plus tire, just the name): full carbon frame, 2x11 xt (shimano is 1x ready with just a properly spaced chainring), RS-1 & monarch xx (one button dual lockout), FSA SLK. Especially as 1x it would likely be right around 25pounds tubeless, $2300 shipped and no tax (in most places). 2x10 xt and slightly inferior parts for $2100.
    Not a bad price for parts for your next build if you don't like the Bulls frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi Jim,

That Bulls does look like a screaming deal. Did you mean $3200 shipped? (even then it's a great deal).

I can see on their website the "MSRP" is $6399 and they have a 50% off summer sale on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    " Its the best bang for buck in the industry for 25lb" (anthem).
    I disagree, I'm probably as cheap (or 'frugal') as anybody here, - I don't think you can beat the 'Bulls Wild Edge 29+' (not a plus tire, just the name): full carbon frame, 2x11 xt (shimano is 1x ready with just a properly spaced chainring), RS-1 & monarch xx (one button dual lockout), FSA SLK. Especially as 1x it would likely be right around 25pounds tubeless, $2300 shipped and no tax (in most places). 2x10 xt and slightly inferior parts for $2100.
    Not a bad price for parts for your next build if you don't like the Bulls frame.
    I disagree. Let me know when you need a part at a race two hundred miles from home. I bet i find a giant dealer before you find a bulls dealer.

I guess the best deal in the industry is a wal mart bike then. You have to factor in more than just the actual bike. Using all those parts on another bike, now thats a sweet idea.

The bulls has long chainstays and the geo is nothing like an anthem. Or any of the other bikes. Its a good bike though. I just cant say a mail order bike is better than one that has dealers in every city.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWheels7 View Post

This is close to as good as the anthem but the wheels are hot poop trash. Anthem has carbon wheels. Carbon frame poop wheels, or alu frame good wheels. Of course you can probably upgrade the canyon wheels to be about the same total investment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I guess im a little torn now, even since starting this thread. My 27.5+ Beargrease is a great XC bike. Great fit and reasonably light and definitely could be lighter with a few cheap options.

What i dont have in the stable is a 130-150mm rough rider. Here in the CO front range there are plenty of trails where 130mm+ rear travel would be welcome and definitely not fun on a HT.

An XC bike like the anthem will buy me some serious comfort compared to the BG over the 50-100 mile mark but not much else. So do i suffer with the BG in the races and play on the big stuff with a Trail bike? Or do i ride with a little more speed and comfort on an anthem and avoid the jumps and big drops around town? I guess i could race a stumpjumper fsr....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    I guess im a little torn now, even since starting this thread. My 27.5+ Beargrease is a great XC bike. Great fit and reasonably light and definitely could be lighter with a few cheap options.

What i dont have in the stable is a 130-150mm rough rider. Here in the CO front range there are plenty of trails where 130mm+ rear travel would be welcome and definitely not fun on a HT.

An XC bike like the anthem will buy me some serious comfort compared to the BG over the 50-100 mile mark but not much else. So do i suffer with the BG in the races and play on the big stuff with a Trail bike? Or do i ride with a little more speed and comfort on an anthem and avoid the jumps and big drops around town? I guess i could race a stumpjumper fsr....
    Slice it down the middle and get a ~120mm rig, like an Ibis Ripley, Pivot 429Trail, etc. I love my fatbike in the winter, but have no desire to ride it in the summer faster than about 5mph, other than for commuting. I know lots of guys that endurance race on light ~5" machines though. If you can't afford two FS bikes, that may be the ticket, build it carefully to meet a target weight or plan on specific upgrades to do so. With carbon rims from LB and Nextie and smart choices like DT 350 hubs and others, you can control weight and still make some good choices for $$$.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Best Trail bike to double as endurance bike

I started the thread above with the intent of finding a bike that can do both trails and endurance races.

Narrowed it down to the New Jet 9 or Pivot Trail (both 120mm). I just need to decided if I want to go 27.5+ for trail days and 29er for XC days. Or just go 29 and use wider tires for trail days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    "Let me know when you need a part at a race two hundred miles from home. I bet i find a giant dealer before you find a bulls dealer. "
    Do you break a lot of frame parts? I'm generally pretty easy on equipment, and I've still got my old bike if there is a failure.

My other ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    "Let me know when you need a part at a race two hundred miles from home. I bet i find a giant dealer before you find a bulls dealer. "
    Do you break a lot of frame parts? I'm generally pretty easy on equipment, and I've still got my old bike if there is a failure.
    I am HARD on my equipment, really hard, and I haven't yet broken my XC bike hucking off drops and jumps that I shouldn't be doing. I really need to get my 130 bike fixed...

A local dealer that has frame related parts wouldn't be a selling point for me, if the bike was decent enough to begin with

MTB B'dos
    This bolded statement right there tells me all I need and that you should need to make your decision If you've always wanted a Yeti and can afford it, the ASR is a great race weapon or trail bike, can't see you not liking the options it provides.

The other one I am now considering is the XT Yeti ASR-C. It's a little more expensive (4k), but I've always wanted a Yeti ever since I used to live in Golden, CO. I also like the 120mm front fork.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    This bolded statement right there tells me all I need and that you should need to make your decision If you've always wanted a Yeti and can afford it, the ASR is a great race weapon or trail bike, can't see you not liking the options it provides.
    I agree with lynx. Partially because I want you to post photos though so I can vicariously live through you.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I am HARD on my equipment, really hard, and I haven't yet broken my XC bike hucking off drops and jumps that I shouldn't be doing. I really need to get my 130 bike fixed...

A local dealer that has frame related parts wouldn't be a selling point for me, if the bike was decent enough to begin with
    If it's not your carbon frame that fails from such repeated hard impacts, affecting the fatigue life with each huck equivalent to 1000s or even 10,000s of normal cycles, it'll probably be your axles, or something else that has limited fatigue life gives out first.

I'm gonna start doing huck offs with you now, in the name of science and observing what happens.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

My other ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I'm gonna start doing huck offs with you now, in the name of science and observing what happens.
    Science!

Neighborhood Cyclery has a Spec Enduro on clearance right now...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I got the Bulls Wild Edge for $2K shipped all XT. My LBS owner still rides with me, bc he couldn't come close on anything and I still get all my parts and service through him. I also bought a complete set of spare parts (rear linkage and hanger). It's comparable to my old 2014 Scalpel 29 Carbon 2, but 1/3 of the price with a tiny bit more flex in the rear. I actually like the longer chain stays as it feels more stable going down. On a budget it's a great buy and if the frame doesn't hold up I can buy a XC frame on clearance next year and probably still be ahead on price overall. I love the RS1 fork, which I know is controversial by itself. It's better than the lefty 2.0 IMO and my lefty had 2 warranty repairs after 500 miles in 2014. With 500 miles on this bike the wheels are still true and the rear linkage is holding up well. If the sale is still on it's worth considering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you look around, you can find Carbon/SLX salsa spearfishes right now for $2500. I was just at Garrisons in Delaware today and they've got a few still. If I had room in my garage I would grab one. I had the old version and it was fantastic for all day rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I agree with lynx. Partially because I want you to post photos though so I can vicariously live through you.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    If you look around, you can find Carbon/SLX salsa spearfishes right now for $2500. I was just at Garrisons in Delaware today and they've got a few still. If I had room in my garage I would grab one. I had the old version and it was fantastic for all day rides.
    Speaking of Salsa, and for the sake of closing this thread out, I ended up picking up a carbon Bucksaw X01. What can I say, im a sucker for fat bikes. It will be great for all day rides, just not particularly fast, and my plus wheelset from my beargrease will go right on. Pics to come.

mtbr member
    Well... What does it weigh?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    Hum, bit off tangent to what you were looking at With some PLUS wheels/tyres on there instead of the Fatties, that would actually be a pretty decent trail ripper and definitely very comfy for long days. Guy who visits has one and even with the fat whees/tyres it's pretty light, swap to the right PLUS setup and you might be very close to your desired weight goal.

Speaking of Salsa, and for the sake of closing this thread out, I ended up picking up a carbon Bucksaw X01. What can I say, im a sucker for fat bikes. It will be great for all day rides, just not particularly fast, and my plus wheelset from my beargrease will go right on. Pics to come.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hum, bit off tangent to what you were looking at With some PLUS wheels/tyres on there instead of the Fatties, that would actually be a pretty decent trail ripper and definitely very comfy for long days. Guy who visits has one and even with the fat whees/tyres it's pretty light, swap to the right PLUS setup and you might be very close to your desired weight goal.
    It's going to be for long hauls 50-100, just mostly not timed events. I plan to swap the plus wheels over and remove the dropper. Salsa says 30.9 lbs... After those changes I expect to be around the 28 range. That's acceptable to me. But unfortunately, on my first ride on the way to the TH, I managed to run over a nail and put it through the rear carbon wheel... literally. So freakin stupid. So Im in the process of swapping the X01 cassette, XD driver, and discs to a Mulefut I had from my other fat bike. I am angry in my heart today.

Worst New Bike Day Ever - Bucksaw (C) x01