mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Would any of you run an 8" disc brake on a moment?

The Ellsworth web side advises not to run an 8" rotors on the Truth and Id frames but they say nothing about the moment. Thanks in advance
    Big JuJu

"Its All Good"
    For what it is worth I would run 8 inch rotors, far better stopping power. I am sure if you a purchasing a MOMENT, you will be doing some light DH/FR stuff. Or at least put an 8 inch on the front.

Go Hard
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

For sure an 8' on the front along with

a Maxxis 2.5in mobster in super tacky compound. I dont like tired hands on long down hills and want to be able to break later . The ellewoth website say the 8" rotors will compromise the frames integrity on a Truth of an Id but I assume that the Moment has a stronger rear section that would handle this in stride.

Col
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Big JuJu
    a Maxxis 2.5in mobster in super tacky compound. I dont like tired hands on long down hills and want to be able to break later . The ellewoth website say the 8" rotors will compromise the frames integrity on a Truth of an Id but I assume that the Moment has a stronger rear section that would handle this in stride.
    In communications with Ellsworth's staff they have advised me that the Moment is rated for 8in disc systems back and front, and advantage over the Id which, from memory, is rated for 8's on the front and 6's on the back. You will also need to check that your fork is rated for 8's though.

I am using Migura Louise 6 inch front and back - I weigh between 190 & 200lb all geared up and find that I still have ample power for the riding that I do. The riding is mostly fire trails and single track stuff with the odd drop here and there, I find that the size of a 6inch rotor is perfect as it is much easier to damage an 8inch rotor (initially I had spec'd 8inch gear), get the right advice for the breaks depending on the riding you will do as it is not cheap to make a change once you have made a wrong decision.

not so super...
    The Ellsworth web side advises not to run an 8" rotors on the Truth and Id frames but they say nothing about the moment. Thanks in advance
    Big JuJu
    IMO...an 8" rotor is too much for the rear. I run a 185mm rear and 203mm front with Hayes Purples. I'm 225 with gear and this setup has never failed me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wink I'm gonna run a through axle fork

I should be O.K. with 8's out front for sure. 7s out backs would be just fine I'm sure I'm just courious if 8's will void the frames warrenty like on the Id and the truth.

Col
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I should be O.K. with 8's out front for sure. 7s out backs would be just fine I'm sure I'm just courious if 8's will void the frames warrenty like on the Id and the truth.
    You should send an e-mail to Ellsworth for that question. The answer is "no it will not affect frame warranty" but ask them the question for your own peice of mind. They respond very quickly to e-mail questions regarding bike setup.

Good luck

trail fairy
    I have been running Magura Lousie Free rides on my ID for about 4 months now 160mm rear 180mm front and Magura are one of the few companies that make a 180mm front rotor, keeps things light but still with awesome stopping power (most seem to go from 160mm to 185mm to 205mm), I used to run 02 Hayes no comparison,and have ridden 03 XT, XTR Hayes Mag, XT 03 are not bad, but not as good, in my opinion but the new Juicy 7s will be interesting when my friend installs em. Also no problem with Ellsworth, but more importantly it does not void the fork warranty I run a Fox Talas RLC rated up to 180mm only, I now run this exact setup on the Moment and these brakes are awesome great feel and modulation and power to burn, even when I look at a six inch fork I won't be needing to upgrade my brakes.
    I have seen alot of bikes with vanilla's and talas forks running 185mm or even 205mm Fox don't warranty there forks with rotors above 180mm with standard skewer drop outs, they believe to much force is exerted on a standard skewer, I agree but, everyone to there own hence the reason there new 36 is a bolt through fork only.

mtbr member
    May 2004

It's all Good

8" rotors are approved for usage on the MOMENT.