mtbr member

Worth it to upgrade '04 Truth ?

Still saving my nickels for a new Ti hardtail ; a Potts, Kish, Moots or Ericksen.

In the meantime I wanted to get some feedback on upgrading (or if it's worth it) my 18" Medium '04 Truth.

A tad of background about me, my bike and riding habits. First off, I just turned 60 (yikes !). My weight is 158 and I'm 5' 8". I'm a longtime, serious runner (over 30 years) that uses Mtn. Biking to crosstrain and take some of the stress off my legs. Although I've been riding since '91, I don't consider myself a "bike guy" with regard to knowing about wheels, gearing , tires, etc. Never have raced mtn. bikes and never will.

90% of my riding is up this steep fireroad trail by my house.
    Verdugo Mountains Near Tongva Peak - YouTube
    It's about a 3-7 mile climb depending how far up the mountain range I go. I'm mainly concerned about climbing and getting the heart rate up. I'm probably in the 10%(or less) of Mtn. bikers that despises the descent. In my perfect world, I'd ride to the top, say "mission accomplished", toss my bike into a pickup truck. Change into my Brooks running shoes and work on my turnover & stride coming downhill.

So in other words , the bike as never been abused in the sense of hammering downhill. According to my odometer I have 676 miles on it. Not a lot for 9 years, but there's many months that can go by when I'm running well and not on the bike. Since last fall I've been trying to ride up there twice a week, on Tuesdays & Thursdays , again to preserve my body for running since I'm getting older.

I'll do my best to describe my current build. Again, go easy if I don't seem to know wtf I'm talking about since I'm not a bike guy.

I have an all the original '04 XT build with the 3 X9. My wheelset is the Mavic XC 717 Disc. Front fork is a Fox Talas RLC. Kore Elite seatpost. Cane Creek headset. I recently switched over to tubeless Specialized "The Captain" tires. One local Specialized shop recently installed a Specialized 7050 bar that I'm not all that crazy about.

So basically I'd like to keep things at or under 2K if possible. I'd really like to try and go 2 X10 for simplicity sake. And I guess the wheels would be the next upgrade. A higher end Mavic set ? Is there an option to lock out the rear shock on the Truth ? Again it's all about the climb with me and getting the heart rate up.

Basically I still dig the bike. It handles well, climbs good and all. A Potts 29er rigid, Ericksen or Kish 650B and Moots 29er or 650 YBB are hopefully not too far off, but in the meantime is it worth sinking all that dough into my Truth ?

I'm going to the LBS where I bought this 9 years ago to get some prices on the upgrade, so I'd like to get some ideas before going in. They are very competitive on the pricing.

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 07-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    For $2K You can probably do either quality 2x10 or quality new wheels, but not both. I have a used 04 Truth. In 2010 I replaced the 2005 XT drivetrain with XX for about $2k. Saved nearly 2lbs and works better. I've been abroad since 2011. When I get home I'll keep XX, and hope to soon replace frame and wheels. PS- no need for lockout, and your shock may not have one anyway. Mine has Fox AVA; no lockout, but I've never missed it, even on fire road climbs. If your shock or fork hasn't been overhauled in a while it'd be a good investment of ~$250.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If your goal is an uphill workout, a heavy wheelset would really get the heart rate up. For $300 you could get a set of mavic 321 rims, XT hubs, and straight gage spokes built up. You'd be sucking wind uphill!!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    I don't think the performance difference would be worth 2k, or even close to that. If you want 2x10 for simplicity, then convert to 2x9 for the price of a 20 dollar bash guard.
    I would keep the Ellsworth "as is"; a cool bike that works great. Since you like to climb, I think the 2k would be better invested in a second bike. Maybe a carbon hardtail?

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the replies guys. Will mull all that over. I'll look into that heavier Mavic wheelset...kinda like running with a weighted vest ...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    . Since you like to climb, I think the 2k would be better invested in a second bike. Maybe a carbon hardtail?
    2K does seem like a lot to invest for minimal performance and fun factor gains.

What carbon HTs would you suggest Steve ? At the LBS that switched out the Specialized handle bar for me, I was able to ride, I believe it was a Stumpjumper Comp 29er. Was able to do some climbing since it's a hilly neighborhood behind the shop, but just on the pavement. I know it's not their higher end carbon frame. But something about it, since I don't enough about bikes, I can't verbalize, but I didn't dig the overall feel. The whole bike and vibe just felt cheaper then my Truth.

Where on the other hand, at my main LBS where I bought the Truth 9 years ago, I was able to take out a Moots YBB 26" that the shop said they ordered and built up mainly with the intent to show they were "Moots dealers". They confided in me that they had doubts as to whether they'd ever sell it.

Even on pavement and just going up these short uphill parking structure driveways, there was that instant "fun factor" I wasn't getting on the Truth. Like --yeah man, this is the sh*t !!. Going OT here I know, but they have it priced at 5K and it's been sitting in the shop for at least a year. Thinking out loud here, but I'm tempted to go in and make a lowball offer on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grbadave View Post
    . If your shock or fork hasn't been overhauled in a while it'd be a good investment of ~$250.
    Actually I did have that done last fall when I started riding more regularly. Yeah I think the shop charged me around a $100 each to rebuild the front & rear. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post

2K does seem like a lot to invest for minimal performance and fun factor gains.

What carbon HTs would you suggest Steve ?
    Yes, not good bang for the buck. I don't really have a suggestion. Like you said it would depend on what feels good to you. 2k can buy a pretty good bike, but I would focus on the best quality and best fitting frame you can find. A lot of $2k bikes have the same frame as a 5k bike, just cheaper components, which you can upgrade in the future, if needed.

Another option, check the used market. You could luck into a great deal with that much money to spend.

mtbr member
    Yeah a lotta stuff on the LA CL. Just noticed this
    29er carbon hardtail

mtbr member
    That's a cool bike, but might be a little small if you are used to an 18.

mtbr member
    I just talked to the guy and he's 5'8" like me. He said the 16.5 size for the 29er is a perfect fit for him. Also said the bike is in excellent condition,never raced, maybe ridden a dozen times. He's 52, not a downhill bomber, but wants a FS to take the edge off. I said, hey I hear ya..I just turned 60 !! haha

Seemed like a real straight ahead guy..even offered to meet me at a trail by his house, put SPD pedals on and let me ride it.

I know we're well into OT now , but how is this top of the line Felt compared to those Stumpjumpers ? I realize it's carbon and not what I was originally looking for -Moots, Ericksen, etc...but for almost brand new and under 2K with XT ? What do you think ?

mtbr member
    Felt has a good rep but I can't say how it compares to other models. I think its a sweet bike, but don't convince yourself to buy it because its a good deal if the fit isn't perfect.

But if it fits, I think owning the Felt AND the Ellsworth is a much better use of 2k than having just the Ellsworth with some new fancy parts on it!

mtbr member
    And don't act too excited about it! I bet you could get it for 1700.
    Everyone has a different strategy, but I might try to bargain a bit before you even go meet him over the phone:

"Hey if I go allll the waaayy over to your place to check it out, with cash in hand, would you let it go for 17, assuming it fits?"

Everyone on Craigslist builds in a little buffer to allow for some bargaining.