mtbr member
    May 2005

Wittness Coolest ellsworth!

Hello,

Well, here is that I think is the coolest bike ellsworth makes. It is my wife and I wittness. This bike has been modified! I wounder if anyone can gess what we changed on the frame?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why aren't you riding????
    moment rear end?

The Dude Abides
    Yeah, I see the Moment rear end too.

For the love of god, is that Monster T up front? I know a few folks with tandems, and a dual crown is definately standard issue, but that is one serious fork. Can that frame handle an 8" fork?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It is a monster T in the front! You guys were right about the moment rear end. I also had to shorten the eye to eye on the shock and the travel in the shock. It really only gets about 5.3 in. of travel in the back. It is sure allot stiffer then the truth rear end.

The monster T is a 2002, so it is shorter then the latter ones and is actully shorter axle to crown then the 6" white bros it replace, the fork is limited to 7" of travel letting me drop the front some. The geometry is perfect now, and with me and my wife adding up to 400 lbs, it is nice to have a fork that steers. With the oversized tubes of the frame and the extra one going into the head tube, it should be no problem holding up to the monster T. I am sure though that death will happen before we can hurt that fork!

We like rockey trails and with this set up there aren't many trails that we can't go on.

Forgiven
    I think Ellsworth should rename it- The RV. Where's the awning, flat screen and Jacuzzi????

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I also own a witness and happen to have a moment as well. I have considered doing this myself. I was wondering if you talked to Ellsworth about this or if you just did it. The stock tire clearance on the witness is terrible and this mod would allow a larger tire which would help probably more than the additional rear travel.

A friend of mine runs a Monster T on his mtb tandem as well and while he loves the performance, thats a massive weight penalty. =) Would be great of fox would give the ok to use the DH40 on tandems.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did contact them and they told me that it is not a possible upgrade! So, I started measuring, what I found was that the lower shock mount is taller on a truth or wittness. So I bolted on the moment rear end, with the stock shock. I found that it lifted the back way up in the air. So, I measued the shock and found it was a 7.787 eye to eye on both the wittness and the moment, but the moment had a 2.25" stroke and the wittness had a 2" stroke. So, I did some math and used some zip ties and found out the shortest the shock can be. So, what I came up with is a 7.25" shock with a 2" stroke. It shortened the travel to 5.33 in. but the bike rides great. It really stiffened up the rear of the bike and I can tell a huge difference in steering though the rocks. I still can only run a 2.35 nevergal in the back. But this is much better then the 2.1 that rubbed. The funny thing is that the same tire that rubs on mine they sell on there stock truths. Also, another big plus is that I can use a 8" rotor without a problem. With the old rear end it made all sorts of noise. I might be do to me useing the old xt 4 piston brakes. Risse built the shock for it. If you use them talk to drew, he is the only one that really knows what is going on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atbhaack
    I did contact them and they told me that it is not a possible upgrade! So, I started measuring, what I found was that the lower shock mount is taller on a truth or wittness. So I bolted on the moment rear end, with the stock shock. I found that it lifted the back way up in the air. So, I measued the shock and found it was a 7.787 eye to eye on both the wittness and the moment, but the moment had a 2.25" stroke and the wittness had a 2" stroke. So, I did some math and used some zip ties and found out the shortest the shock can be. So, what I came up with is a 7.25" shock with a 2" stroke. It shortened the travel to 5.33 in. but the bike rides great. It really stiffened up the rear of the bike and I can tell a huge difference in steering though the rocks. I still can only run a 2.35 nevergal in the back. But this is much better then the 2.1 that rubbed. The funny thing is that the same tire that rubs on mine they sell on there stock truths. Also, another big plus is that I can use a 8" rotor without a problem. With the old rear end it made all sorts of noise. I might be do to me useing the old xt 4 piston brakes. Risse built the shock for it. If you use them talk to drew, he is the only one that really knows what is going on.

If you can get your hands on an 05' Dare/Rouge chainstay they are the same length as the moment and will allow far better tire clearance...not sure what year they moved over to the longer chainstays on the rouges...

VooDoo user.
    Tight switchbacks must suck. Washboard roads are probably no problem though.
    Anyway cool mods.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The clearance of the chainstays are better then the seat stays. U know if any other ellsworth has the same length there that would be wider?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atbhaack
    The clearance of the chainstays are better then the seat stays. U know if any other ellsworth has the same length there that would be wider?
    Although surprised to hear this im not really sure of any. Ill ask my buddy at ellsworth next time I talk to him