mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Will a DHX 5.0 fit a 2004 Truth???

I'm looking at getting a second shock on the Truth and was wondering if its worth getting a DHX5.0 shock for it, and more importantly does it fit the '04 truth???. I like coil shocks as they feel a lot smoother so i'd rather get one of these over the RP3.

not so super...
    That's an interesting mix! I guess with a Ti spring it would rock on the Truth. From the pics it looks like the Truth has a similar shock mounting position to the Moment.

For a good answer call Ellsworth

The Ancient One
    I posted a while back that it certainly looks like it would fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just had a reply from Ellsworth, its not recommended as the piggyback might hit the downtube and that they only come in 2.25" stroke instead of the 2" on the Truth.

Anyway i've got the RP3 on order now so won't grumble.

happy trails!
    Aug 2004

Good job! only trying to help!!

This is only my opinion, but if i had a Truth ( which i was considering ) i would get the lighter end of shock options, 5th element or something. Like you said to me in an ealier post you'd stay away from the FR stuff in fear of breaking another bike. So even though the DHX is plush but it will be heavier and may not live up to its potential. Although i cant really talk cos i havnt even tryed a coil yet so dont know how much better it is.
    Guess its up to you to decide whether its worth it for your bike and style. I have heared such great stuff about the 5th element. Can stand up to drop offs 4-5 foot at most im assuming and very plush, but light and race orientated. Dont know your riding style but thats prob what i'd go for.

Just thought its worth showing the other side of the coin before you get swept up by coil hype, NOT to say there bad of course!!

Also would like to ramble some more about my stumpy, has a Fox Float RL 100mm on it, has lasted heavy duty rides and Glen Tress, and i know with that thing it shouldnt be done but theres kind of a 5-6 ft drop jump type thing that i usually ride down. About half a yr ago i started to jump it instead and the shock (and bike) is still going strong!!
    This shock has propedel on it so it doesnt feel plush but still good. i kinda still like the race'y feel! thought i'd mention it to save you money perhaps....
    In conclusion, for bikes like the truth and for a lighter build with the moment, an air shock i think is slightly under estimated. Ramble ramble (but i havnt ridden a coil sooo up to You!!! )

PS. does sound interesting though if you Phone Tell us the results might be great!!
    ............OK i'l admit it, i am a rambling idiot!!!!
    I wanna run i wanna ride i wanna tear down the trails that call me inside i wanna reach out and touch the flame Where the streets have no name......

happy trails!
    Aug 2004

Good job! arrg too slow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan
    Just had a reply from Ellsworth, its not recommended as the piggyback might hit the downtube and that they only come in 2.25" stroke instead of the 2" on the Truth.
    Doh left my message to eat lol bit late i guess what is the RP3 anyway??
    ............OK i'l admit it, i am a rambling idiot!!!!
    I wanna run i wanna ride i wanna tear down the trails that call me inside i wanna reach out and touch the flame Where the streets have no name......

The Ancient One

The Fox press release on the DHX listed a 7.875x2.00 size.

The downtube/shock relationship looks the same on the Moment and Truth
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

Not

Ellsworth Bikes does not endorse the use of the FOX DHX for the TRUTH.
    We can appreciate some folks prefer the ride of a coil shock and we continue to offer the ROMIC D shock. When functioning correctly the performance of the ROMIC D shock is phenomenal. The small bump sensitivity, pedaling platform, and high-speed compression response set new benchmarks for rear shock performance. Ellsworth Bikes will no longer continue to offer the EXC Ti Shock. Titanium ROMIC springs can be sourced from RCS, 123 bikes, and Mojo in the UK. This ROMIC/Ti Spring combination is lethal for endurance racers and trail riders. The DHX is designed and marketed as more of a Freeride shock and is not applicable for the TRUTH application.

2005 TRUTH rear shock choices include the aforementioned ROMIC D coil, 2005 SPV Swinger Air 3-Way, and 2005 FOX Float R ICT Custom Tune. (very light ProPedal compression damping)

We have also been testing some Swiss made DT shocks and the new 2005 HVR shock
    (Hydraulic Valve Regulation) with on the fly platform adjust seems to hold a lot of potential.
    Thanks for your question.
    Nooner

not so super...

There has to be 2.0" stroke versions - If not, what are the Turner guys using as I beleive the 5 Spot uses a 7.5x2.0? Might hit or will hit?

Sure - it's more of a DH/freeride shock but it sure rides nice on the trail!!!
    Last edited by SSINGA; 09-15-2004 at 06:47 AM.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    This ROMIC/Ti Spring combination is lethal for endurance racers and trail riders.
    Lethal? Would you mind elaborating on this statement...
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    In all fairness even though they do a 7.875 x 2 i'm still going for the RP3, i contacted MOJO and they have both of these shocks but the reason for going for the RP3 is that i've already got the romic/ti spring on the truth and 2 coil shocks is a bit OTT, even for a coil shock lover like me.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Lethal? Would you mind elaborating on this statement...
    Lethal as in a descriptive sense I bet - As in it would be great, killer, cool, awesome etc.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    There has to be 2.0" stroke versions - If not, what are the Turner guys using as I beleive the 5 Spot uses a 7.5x2.0? Might hit or will hit?

Sure - it's more of a DH/freeride shock but it sure rides nice on the trail!!!
    It actually does not seem to fit the 5-spot ... and besides the ROMIC is a great shock ....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    It actually does not seem to fit the 5-spot ... and besides the ROMIC is a great shock ....
    Having ridden both shocks, the DHX is a much better shock than the Romic.

The DHX currently fits the XXL, XL, L and the M 5spot. (Medium requires removing the blue adjuster knob).