mtbr member
    Feb 2009

why so hard to sell?

I've got my 2012 evolution frame up for 1250. This thing was 2400 new, why such a hard time to sell? Because it's an XL? Should've waited for Ellsworth to release the carbon version evolve before buying the bike.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

mtbr member
    I loved the two Ellsworths I had ... a Truth and an Evolve.

Tried selling frames local. on mtbr, pink bike, finally eBay.

Ended up with about $500 each by the time I paid fees, etc.

My rule of thumb for used in VG to Excellent Condition is 1/2 the cost of new. All I could get was 1/5th...

Good luck with the sale...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Same here. Ellsworth's ride great, but don't hold value. I recently sold a like new Ephiphany for $500, and that included an extra shock, thomson seatpost, nice headset and front derailleur.

I think it's partly because it's not a very well known brand, so it doesn't have the wider demand of something like a Specialized or Santa Cruz. They don't have a lot of 'trendy' new stuff on their bikes, so that excludes some buyers. Ellsworth also often sells old stock at significant discounts on their website, which I think impacts the value of the used market as well.

Funny enough, their new bikes keep going up and up in price. Their aluminum bikes are at or above the price of many competitor's carbon frames. Ellsworth Carbon frames are at a $600-$1000 premium to competitor's carbon products. I personally feel they are pricing themselves out of the market. Add in the low resale, and it's challenging to see why you should by an Ellsworth vs Tuner/Niner/Santa Cruz/etc. And this is coming from someone who's owned 4 different Ellsworth bikes and has ridden them exclusively for the last 8 or 9 years.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I actually saw your ad in pinkbike for the frame and have it saved to my watched items there. To make it more interesting I live south of Fort Worth down I-35 about 2 hours from Austin. I understand your concerns as I have sold (and lost money) several bikes / frames through all the same internet sources, which is why I am responding to your thread. These are my honest holdups...First and foremost I am waiting on news from Intense on my cracked Tracer 29 frame for possible crash replacement... 2nd I actually had an XL Tracer only to trade to a large frame which fits me better...Finally, I have never owned an Ellsworth, although not opposed to it. Before the Intense I was a Yeti guy, now with the cracked frame, my first choice is the Yeti SB95. Your frame is a good deal! Good luck !!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks for responding. I actually bought this frame when i was in dallas and houston..... and the trails were not as technical as in Austin. Now that I'm in austin i want to go back to a 26er. I've ridden a sb95, great bike. That or a TBltc would be some of very few bikes I would switch to if going 29er. LMK if u wanna test ride, i can meet u up in waco or seomthing and let u take a few laps if ur interested, if not.. good luck with whatever you choose (and good luck on getting the warranty fix).

I gotta admit, the ellsworth is built like a tank too... i have broken 4 frames in a little over ten years of riding and i feared this frame was going to break since it's so light... but the SST.2 is really strong.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the invite to test...I'm definitely going to wait and see what Intense says. Called the shop owner today and he still had not forwarded the info over to Intense yet...hopefully this week I will know something! I do think the frame will be larger than what I need after looking at the geo on your frame. If it were a large, I would def consider! Hope you find it a home soon...