Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Wheres the Love for the Moment?

After years of dreaming of owning an Ellsworth I finally pulled the trigger on a 06 Moment. I couldnt wait to go to the Ellsworth forum page as a proud owner. Unfortunately as I started ready I was amazed at all the negative threads. I saved for some time to purchase this bike and now I'm worried about my decision. I'm hoping someone can post some positive threads to help ease my mind. Moment owners show me some love

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Welcome to the club

Please try and ignore the negative posts, it's just a minority non Ells owning people who come onto the forum to flame, troll and try to be cool. They're main aim is to bring you down and to try and destroy your experience. The new line of quality bikes that Ellsworth is pumping out isn't sitting to well with some people. Out of the three bikes I own (Moment, Flux and Chameleon), I ride the Moment the most.

You've purchased an awesome frame that will leave a huge grin on your face everytime you ride. Probably one of the best All Mountain frames out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Silver bullet
    Relax Tagman...you done good!!

There are issues with anything that gets built and put through the things these bikes do. With the amount of exposure this web site gets you'll always get negative feedback and unfortunately most will only write to complain. People who are comfortable with what they have don't complain.

I've had my Moment (05) for 2 years and have had no issues with it at all. I bought a Moment after going through 2 frames in one season of another manufacturer. Every winter I've taken it completely apart and check it over and have had no issues.

For a little more reinforcement check this post out.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...22240#poststop

Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had a Moment for about 4 years. I recently sold it to try something new. I personally think that the Moment is one of the best all-around do anything trail bikes ever made. No need for regrets. Keep in mind that this is a forum and the truth is often found somewhere in the middle and very rarely at the ends of the spectrum.

keepin' it rural

just ride it...

the more you ride it the more you'll know you made the right decision. i test road alot of bikes before buying my moment. i was even lucky enough to test ride one for a two hours on some ski runs in utah, with the demo team. even though i has some issues with the bike shop i bought my moment from, Ellsworth has always been awesome to deal with, everytime i've had to call them for anything they have always been helpful. i love my moment and plan on having for a long time.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Tagman
    I'm hoping someone can post some positive threads to help ease my mind.
    It's a great bike!

feel better now?

BTW, you are going to live to 102 years old and ride till you are 90!

Feeling even better?

Time is not a road.
    We all need to have a heart to heart...there are better bikes out there with a keener eye on design and geometry...at a much more reasonable cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What do you wonna get?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by seibukan
    What do you wonna get?
    I'm considering a Chumba Evo or a Transition Covert.

mtbr member
    Hey Chad,
    I can see you are selling your Moment, is there something about it that you don't like OR just looking for some different bikes out there for a change?

I'm new here at the Ellsworth forum and still trying to think whether I made a good decision on ordering my 07 Truth...I email Ellsworth 2 times but I never got any reply.

Thanks,
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn
    ..I email Ellsworth 2 times but I never got any reply.
    Maybe they are too busy counting cash!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Maybe they are too busy counting cash!
    LOL

KOKOPELLI RACING
    i have a moment. it's by far my favorite bike. my dirtbag and trail-or-park are now expendable. hell, my cervelo tri bike and my road bike are also expendable.

i cannot believe how nice the moment rides - sure it's not the fastest going up (most of its "slowness" is because of me), but it is absolutely buttery when pointing it down hill.

i cannot imagine a better all around ride that looks SO good.

now if i could only get my damn nevegals to hold air (i tried to convert them to tubeless)....
    kokopelli racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey Chad,
    I can see you are selling your Moment, is there something about it that you don't like OR just looking for some different bikes out there for a change?

I'm new here at the Ellsworth forum and still trying to think whether I made a good decision on ordering my 07 Truth...I email Ellsworth 2 times but I never got any reply.

Thanks,
    Well, my emails over the last couple of weeks were always answered within a few days.
    Try dave@ellsworthbikes.com

~~~~~~~~
    this help?
    one of the frequent flyers I see at the playground, doing the kind of stuff that a person who can afford an Ellsworth shouldn't be doing
    Moment, DHX-A, DUC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by airwreck; 03-30-2007 at 02:21 AM.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledecadefirehydrant

now if i could only get my damn nevegals to hold air (i tried to convert them to tubeless)....
    Stick with it...mine took about 2 weeks of airing up

Time is not a road.
    Hey Chad,

Thanks,
    Not all the issues I have with the Moment will translate to the Truth, like the too steep seat tube angle (and head angle for that matter). However, I just don't think ICT is very fast going DH. It's great for climbing and it isolates the shock pretty well, but techy climbs and dh stuff is not the forte of a bike with a near vertical wheel path.

If a wheel is moving forward and hits a bump it has to react - if the wheel can move away from the bump, like an arcing path would dictate, one would retain more forward momentum. This is the way VPP, DW-link, single pivots (including linkage actuated, four bar), Maestro and Monolink work which makes them float through the rough stuff. FSR and ICT have to absorb the bump first before the suspension starts working. While they do isolate brake forces very well, there are solutions to that problem and shock technology is so good today that this one positive attribute of the design is really nullified. Couple that with the exorbitant price of these frames and I just don't see what it is that we're paying for - is it performance? no...is it finish? sure, until shot peen balls gouge the shyte out of your steer tube, headset, bottom bracket and/or seattube. Is it prestige? no...the company has tarnished its own image pretty good. So what then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Not all the issues I have with the Moment will translate to the Truth, like the too steep seat tube angle (and head angle for that matter). However, I just don't think ICT is very fast going DH. It's great for climbing and it isolates the shock pretty well, but techy climbs and dh stuff is not the forte of a bike with a near vertical wheel path.

If a wheel is moving forward and hits a bump it has to react - if the wheel can move away from the bump, like an arcing path would dictate, one would retain more forward momentum. This is the way VPP, DW-link, single pivots (including linkage actuated, four bar), Maestro and Monolink work which makes them float through the rough stuff. FSR and ICT have to absorb the bump first before the suspension starts working. While they do isolate brake forces very well, there are solutions to that problem and shock technology is so good today that this one positive attribute of the design is really nullified. Couple that with the exorbitant price of these frames and I just don't see what it is that we're paying for - is it performance? no...is it finish? sure, until shot peen balls gouge the shyte out of your steer tube, headset, bottom bracket and/or seattube. Is it prestige? no...the company has tarnished its own image pretty good. So what then?
    Thanks for sharing Chad...very good comment...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Sounds like you maybe don't have your shock sorted out on the Moment. The difference between single pivot (like the new Turners) and ICT as a function of actual axle path isn't that much different. Depending where the single pivot is located will dictate if there is any "rearward" axle path left after you factor in sag. Having ridden Ventanas, Nomads, and my Moment, the greatest factor in getting these to handle well on the downhill is to get the rear shock well sorted. A few clicks of rebound or compression - or even low speed dampening can really change the ride.

You are right about the price...these things are expensive. The shot balls in the frame is a bad thing, but Ells tells their dealers about this and the bike builder is responsible to some degree for making sure the bike is ready to build. Turner used to attach a warning on his bottom brackets about this very thing before he moved away from that process. I think Ells realized this too and that is part of the reason for the new finishes.

FSR, ICT, VPP...is all marketing hype. Put Mark Weir on any bike with a properly set-up rear shock and he will smoke us mortals.

VooDoo user.

Chad has made some very good points. DH rockgardens are definatley not the Moments strong point. It tends to bog down and loose speed.

On a posative note the thing climbs better than most XC bikes.

Nowadays I think you can find better bikes for a lot less money. The price of a moment is just very hard for me to justify. Thank goodness I got a break on the Cost.

MTB SOCAL

I love my Moment

I have several mountain bikes including a Moto-lite and a Rogue. But, the Moment is by far the bike I ride the most. It really can do anything. It replaced a Quasi-moto and is noticeably better thru fast stutter bumps as well as techy downhill sections. Plus, the ICT suspension climbs amazingly well, as previously discussed. Enjoy the bike!
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

AKA shitbird
    I love mine. The ride is great and works well with pretty much any type of riding. XC, Dirt jumping, DH......it's all been good to me.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Seriously, don't worry about your purchase!

I've had my Moment for 2 years, and I ride it constantly. I started riding it with a lighter XC build, and since moving to the Pacific NW, it's been transformed into a full-on AM build with much burlier components - and it's ridden on much more challenging trails (like the ones in the pics above). The thing performs great!
    - elivingston

KOKOPELLI RACING
    Stick with it...mine took about 2 weeks of airing up
    they are finally holding air!! yes!!!
    kokopelli racing

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Those photos are great.
    How tall is that rider and what size Moment is he riding?
    I am having a bit of a dilemma at the "moment".
    I bought a 17in Moment last year and although it is a fantastic bike, I do find the standover a little low and it is a big bike to chuck around.
    I am 5'9.5'' AND 165lbs and I am seriously thinking of buying a small Moment frame.
    What do you think ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast