mtbr member
    May 2006

Whats different on a 05 Moment

Hi guys,

There is a very good deal on mtbr's co-partner site for 05 ellsworth moment.
    It is an incredible deal since ellsworth is kind of out of my new bike budget.

What I like to know is if there are something significantly differencet on the 05 model compare to the more current models to warrant such a price drop. For example, is the travel different?, weight, geometry? I know is a "custom" build, meaning it doesn't have the original spec components.

Your ellsworth expert insight is appreciated.

Here is the link to the bike.
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=2948

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's quite a lot different, different tube shape, slacker geometry (can of worms!) and the new one is lighter.

The old shape moments were still a good bike though by all accounts but I haven't ridden one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a buddy that works for Ells and he is still on an 05 or 06 I think. He still loves it, they make small adjustments to the frames as they need to so batch to batch can have some changes rather than year to year even. The design is still the same and the suspension is still great so if the frame is in good shape I would say it will be fine. I am no Ells expert, just my .02.

And they are all custom builds, I don't think they have a spec complete bike.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

mda
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    From the picture on the link you've provided, it looks like exactly the same frame as I have. Bought late 2005, it has the newer design carbon bracer between the rocker arms. You have 6" at the back, same as the current model and I would say that there is very little difference in the frame weight compared to 2008, certainly less than 0.25lbs.

As already mentioned, geometry differences are less easy to determine - quite a bit of speculation on this topic recently. I'm running an '08 Fox 36 TALAS with this frame which gives a fairly slack head angle of around 67.

That looks like an incredible deal to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The 05 or 06 are excellent capable all around bikes ( IMO No flaws, except issue of seatpost scratching). I can't compare with an 08 since I dont have one yet , but I can honestly say I got my moneys worth with my 05 moment and will probably do so for a couple of more years . If you can get one cheap , why not ?

Based on MTB A review of the 08 ,it is supposedly more slack in the headtube angle which probably improves its handling going down , the older Moments may be more climbing / trail bike oriented than the new one , but am sure many here can attest that the bike will have no problem going down All mountain type of riding

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks guys. I plan to throw my 1 1/8 fox Van 36 on it. My steering is at 8" exactly right now.

Do you guys have any clue what the head tube length is? (with stem and headset) I know this is a tough question, so I will try to do some research too.

MTB SOCAL

4.75 inches

The Greenfish link you provided shows the headtube length for S, M, and L Moments to be 4.75 inches. I just checked this on my 06 med Moment and it indeed did measure 4.75 inches.

Back to the original question. The 05 / 06 Moments are fantastic. They are reasonably light - can be built to between 30-32 lbs. And, you get 6" of awesome ICT travel. I know I love mine! As for the 08 Moments, I don't think enough are out to really get a good comparison. They may be a tad lighter and have a slightly slacker head angle. But, if you can get a good deal on an 05 Moment - go for it. You can't go wrong.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

ZEN RIDER!
    I have an early model 05 Moment & it goes thru anything & climbs like a billy goat. I'm still amazed what the Moment will climb up. A very solid AM bike that is versatile. I guess in comparison to the next gen AM bikes the 05 Moment would be AM lite/heavy trail as far a geometry goes. Personally I think the 05 bike is awsome, especially if you are on the burlier side of the scale. I find my Moment perfect for what & where I ride, the ICT works great & is smooooth. I'd go for it. Can't go wrong for the price as far as performance & quality. Unless my frame breaks at some point in time, I doubt I'll ever sell mine.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Tweaks

Just check the chainstay, some 05 Moments with the new carbon bit have basically the ID chainstay. There should be a welded spider in the cavity near the BB. One's without have had a few cracks. My 05/06 has the welded spider.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member

Can anyone put a set of pics . . .

containing the moment's evolution?

thanks

benny

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by konair
    containing the moment's evolution?

thanks

benny
    Moment setup! data base

In here you can see the differences as they begin to appear about mid '05. Some rockers had the round carbon spacer and then they begin to go triangular. Follow the thread along, you'll see asym chainstays and the new finish (with new tubing).