mtbr member
    Sep 2005

What size stem on your Epiphany?

I have an XL and I use a Thomson 90/10Deg its at the top of the steerer tube of my 32 Talas
    I have Easton LowRise MonkeyLite Bars
    I'm 6'2" with 34 inch inseam and average arms.
    I ask this because I feel kind of stretched out and I'm wondering if I should go shorter?

~~~
    Not sure it really matters much how tall you are. If you're feeling stretched out a bit, you probably could go with a shorter stem. For my small Moment, a 90mm felt great for XC riding, but not the best for fast downhill and what little air I can get. Tried a 70mm and I felt it really made the front end flop around too much on the climbs. Ended up settling at 80mm and it fits and feels great.

I bought a cheapy 70mm off craigslist to try it out before I settled on a nicer stem. Not sure where you are in norcal, but if you're in the bay area, you're welcome to try out the 70. It's a 25.4 clamp, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    thanks man. yeah im in the bay area but i have an oversize bar

mtbr member

Stem length

110 on mine Chris- but I'd like to try a 100 and 90- sometimes I feel a little stretched.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    im tryin a 50

LBS Manager
    I run a 90mm with a neg six deg rise I couldn't imagine going any shorter on an Epiphany I think it would kill the xc feel of the bike and hurt its climbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    50 worked fine
    My Stable:
    '08 Santa Cruz Nomad
    '07 Raleigh XXIX Rigid Singlespeed 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    On my L size Epi I had used a 90 mm. stem recently replaced by a 70 mm. one

Praise Bob

Might want to try the 70

I ride a Moment but since I am also 6'2" w/ 34" inseam I thought my experience may help you. I have tried various stems to get the right combination of reach and handling characteristics. Although I liked the reach of the 70mm the most, I felt like it upset the handling and made it twitchy and track weird. I finally settled on a 90mm and am pretty happy with the balance.

The thing to consider is that my Moment is a large which has a 24.5" effective TT. Your XL Epi has an effective TT of 25.5" (25.4mm longer) so it is no wonder you feel stretched out! That would be the equivilent of me using a ~115mm stem. It almost sounds like you are on a frame size too big.

Definitely try the 70, but you might not like what it does to the handling. At any rate, most bike shops have an adjustable stem contraption that you can test out in the parking lot. It has adjustments for rise and length. Keep playing with that until you are comfortable and see where that gets you.

good luck!