mtbr member

What size Epi for someone 5' 11"?

Any Epiphany owners who are around 5' 11"? I'm 5' 11.5", but I have a long neck so my "real" height is more like 5' 11". I have a true inseam of 33.5" and my arm span is 71.5", so my arms are kinda long. I currently ride a L Yeti 575, but with a top tube of 24.4", I'm just too stretched out. I like a more upright position. Looking at the Ells website, I could go with either a M or a L Epi. I'm leaning toward the M.

So, for those who are my size, what size Epi do you ride?
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Well, I'm....

5' 9.5",
    I ride a Medium Epi with a 100 mm stem (though i will likely be switching to a 90).

I just measured my armspan at 67.5", my inseam is 32.5"

One thing you will have to look out for with the Epi is seatpost length,
    I have a 410 mm Thompson and there is sufficient post inside the seat tube, but if you look at the pics, the posts are up pretty high = lots of standover clearance.

over 50 years of cycling

New question here. been there...

Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    Any Epiphany owners who are around 5' 11"? I'm 5' 11.5", but I have a long neck so my "real" height is more like 5' 11". I have a true inseam of 33.5" and my arm span is 71.5", so my arms are kinda long. I currently ride a L Yeti 575, but with a top tube of 24.4", I'm just too stretched out. I like a more upright position. Looking at the Ells website, I could go with either a M or a L Epi. I'm leaning toward the M.

So, for those who are my size, what size Epi do you ride?
    I am just barely 5'11". I have fairly short legs(I WEAR about a 31" inseam) and long torso and long arms. You are correct that 5'11" puts you right on the edge of sizes.
    Notice the frame spec difference that are body geom related. There is almost no standover difference between a M and L. If I recall the Large is about an inch(Not sure) longer top tube. When I asked for a M and they handed me a L when I was test riding at REI,(did NOT buy there!) the L felt HUGE to me for some reason, even with those tiny differences. Keep in mind the standover on the Epi is pretty high with the top tube swooping up FAST from the seat tube and a "tall" fork for all that travel.

I tend to like a short cockpit. Being too stretched out gives me back pain and I find I like the shorter bike for tech trail, yet the medium pretty much rails the downhill fast stuff anyway, and you can always get a longer stem.

Best thing would be to find one to test ride of course and see how it feels. Otherwise you definitely are on the fence for size.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm 5 ft 10 and ride a medium,

I like my bikes small and chuckable...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    I tend to like a short cockpit. Being too stretched out gives me back pain and I find I like the shorter bike for tech trail, yet the medium pretty much rails the downhill fast stuff anyway, and you can always get a longer stem.
    I like a shorter cockpit also. On my 575 (24.4" top tube) I've gone down to a 75mm stem, and while the cockpit now feels nice, I'd rather have a slightly longer stem.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Trail
    I am just barely 5'11". I have fairly short legs(I WEAR about a 31" inseam) and long torso and long arms. You are correct that 5'11" puts you right on the edge of sizes.
    Notice the frame spec difference that are body geom related. There is almost no standover difference between a M and L. If I recall the Large is about an inch(Not sure) longer top tube. When I asked for a M and they handed me a L when I was test riding at REI,(did NOT buy there!) the L felt HUGE to me for some reason, even with those tiny differences. Keep in mind the standover on the Epi is pretty high with the top tube swooping up FAST from the seat tube and a "tall" fork for all that travel.
    Based on Ell's site, the TT of the L is 24.25" and the M is 23.5". I've test ridden a M 575. The TT measurement of that is 23.4" and it felt good with a 100mm stem. I'd buy another 575 in a heartbeat, but a concern I have with the 575 is the shorter wheelbase. The wheelbase of the M Epiphany is exactly the same as the WB of the L 575. I wouldn't want to go any shorter for fear of losing some downhill stability, but I don't want to go any longer, for fear of losing some technical maneuverability. Standover of the Epi isn't a problem at all, since I have average to long legs.

I'm assuming you went with the M?

over 50 years of cycling

Good job! Medium should work for a LOT of riders

Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja

I'm assuming you went with the M?
    If you are asking ME....Yes I went with a medium and I am EXTREMELY happy I did. It feels perfect.

I think the Medium is a very versatile size. Notice on the Ellsworth site the "rider height" recommendation is a HUGE range. I am seeing there is a reason for this.

As you pointed out, its also excellent geometry for a variety of trail uses.

All normal disclaimers apply:
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

Hooray Beer!
    me -5'9" riding a medium. set post high, seat set back on rails. thomson 90/0 stem. positioning feels great for climbing and tech downs (drop seat a bit). only think i noticed is higher bb comped to prior rig so feels a bit cramped with seat lower

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

5'11" went with size large

I started with a medium Epi, but sold it to a friend and bought a large. I use a 100mm stem, with plans to shorten to a 90mm to quicken up the steering just a little bit. My riding preference is for buffed singletrack with multihour climbs. Drops and jumps are usually an aberration or an accident. I'm not going to be horsing around the bike and launching it off terrain features. I am very pleased with the choice. From how you describe your 575 fit issues though it sounds like a no brainer that you need a medium.

anc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm also 5'11 with a 33 inseam, the medium is perfect for that size(100mm stem). You'll get a fair bit of post showing, but its fine.