mtbr member
    Feb 2006

What fork for an Epi ?

Hello all

What forks are poeple using on their Epi's ?

I had a Pike 454 Dual Air which was nice but not plush enough...I changed it too a Pike 426 Coil U-turn and realised 2 things...

First - Although very plush its way too heavy !!
    Secondly - 140mm is a tad high on the Epi frame - 130 suits it better..

So was thinking of trying an 07 Coil Revelation,

What does everyone else use/think ?

cheers

Time is not a road.
    With a coil Uturn, why not just dial it down? What's the weight of that fork, 4.5lbs? That's not heavy at all. You'll sacrafice some stiffness by changing to a standard axle fork.

If you must change, the new Fox stuff is nice, but again, it's 140mm of travel. You could try a close out Marzocchi AM 1 SL 110-130. I find Marzocchi to be stiffer than Fox. The '07s (AM SL) look pretty nice and I think they're pretty light. Plus, you wouldn't need a different wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    the Pike coil is 5.4 lbs...so pretty heavy

Especially seeing that the frame only weighs 5.3..

mtbr member
    Funny, you and I are headed in the opposite directions on our Epis.

I'm ditching my dual air Revelation for a pike 454 air uturn, with the intentions of running it at about 135mm in height. as for the plushness (lack of) on YOUR pike, I have to imagine that the revelation will feel VERY similar to the pike, so maybe skip that option.

The fox 140 A-C is just about the same as the Revelation, so you may find that to be perfect for you. someone I ride with once in a while is using the fox 140 with his Epi and really loves it.

With that said, I can't wait for my new Pike, are you sure you've explored all the options of increasing the negative air to make it more plush?? You can also increase the negative air even more to decrease the travel since you currently don't have uturn(search some of Tcheesy's guidance).

Good luck!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

Curmudgeon
    Jul 2004

'07 Fox Talas 32 RLC

I'm riding the Epi for more of an epic cross country rides, not really all mountain, and have found the three settings to work great for my needs. I set it for 100mm taking long non technical climbs, 120 mm for rolling technical sections and 140mm for the sustained downhills. Most of the rides I do start out with 2,500 - 3,000 ft. of climbing and the low weight of the fork and being able to move the center of gravity forward is a big help. It has also been plush enough for me for anything I've had the stones to ride on the descents.
    I'm getting too old for this sh!t.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    pp - I was never that impressed with the plushness of the Pike Dual Airs - and I was forever faffing around with the - and + chambers,

The Coil 426 Pikes are just about perfect but the weight is a bit over the top when you've got a light weight frame...at 140mm I think the front end is a bit high too...

I may go for some Pace forks which I don't think are very common in the US..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    just weighed my 426 U-turn Coil.....in case anyone is interested !

5.7 lbs with maxle, 5.9 lbs with maxle and poploc

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    just weighed my 426 U-turn Coil.....in case anyone is interested !

5.7 lbs with maxle, 5.9 lbs with maxle and poploc
    That's a tad portly. Even the Lyrik comes in around there, if not less.

The Pace forks may be a good idea as they seem pretty light for their given travel. Carbon lowers just seem kinda ifee to me since this is where I generally scratch my forks most. I can only imagine that they are rated for some trail damage, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    fox 36's weigh less than that !!

i keep changing my mind - am thinking 07 Vanilla's or Floats now...

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    I say Vanilla or Float RLC. Perhaps you can find a deal on a 2006 130mm fork. If you want to go light, there's no better option than Pace RC41 XCAM, but it comes at a price: $900usd.
    EnRodadera
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    blatido - don't know how much they cost in the good ole US of A but here in Blighty you can pick them up for about 450,

have a bit of a reputation for being un-reliable though....

mind you most things do seeing that we have to ride in mud 9 months of the year....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

have a bit of a reputation for being un-reliable though....

mind you most things do seeing that we have to ride in mud 9 months of the year....
    How do Marzocchi Rockshox and Fox forks hold up in your area? This will give us Yanks a point of reference.

-Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Marzocchi are fantastic - bombproof but too heavy and too high for me..

The new RS also have a great reputation - Rebas and Revalations etc

Fox - not so good, don't seem to like all the mud and grit we have here and the stanchions get marked and need replacing - which is expensive..

I've known this happen to a few people and they went out and bought RS instead of repairing the foxs,

I live near a place called the Peak District (sorry if you know it!) and I've worn a set of brake pads out on one ride before...

The joys of English weather,

Still its character building