mtbr member
    Sep 2007

What to do with my ID?

I have an ID purchased in 2002.. I'm pretty sure its a 2001 frame as it has the "old" rear end that won't accept a tire above 2.1".. It has been ridden hard and driven all over the country on a roof rack for many summers and thus it is showing signs of getting old.. I'm wondering if they still still replacment bushing kits to get the frame back to how it was new? Everything squeaks and groans like it is showing its age.. I've replaced the drivetrain at least once and the rear Romic seems fine.. I was going to replace the forks with something newer but wondered about fixing the frame first..

I have a new Kona Coilair on order but its not come in yet.. I am considering keeping the ID as my XC bike since it has specs equivalent to most of the current XC bikes for sale..

Note to Ellsworth: I spent the last 1/2 hour attempting to email you a question off your website.. first I had to register.. and then I had to register my bike which requires getting it out of the garage and finding the s/n, and then your stupid website says my s/n isn't valid, so I can't email my question.. apparently my $4500 bike didn't come with any customer service..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why not just email them or phone them. You can email without registering, same applies with picking up the phone...
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bushings?Do you mean pivot bearings?
    Have you serviced them ever?
    I take twice per year all bearings for service.Piece of cake job:
    After you you have taken off cranks and rearwheel
    1Remove chainstay,rocker arm from frame.
    2Pry off those blue dust covers from bearings with carpet knife(rocker arm/chainstay)
    3.Clean with decreaser solvent and compressed air
    4.Put new grease into bearings
    5.Blue dust cover back
    6.Rebuild links to frame.

Note if there is freeplay on bearings or they are about to seized.Replace them.You can use SKF/Enduroseal or some other high quality bearings.I have DIY Bearing pullout tool : bolt /nut ,piece of pluming connectors,washers.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    Why not just email them or phone them. You can email without registering, same applies with picking up the phone...
    Ummm... have you tried to contact them recently??? I've recently had similar issues with my early model Id and found it next to impossible to get a response from Ellsworth.
    Finally got my parts from Freeborn in the UK

EDIT: to the OP, you can get bolt kits from Freeborn and look at the numbers on the side of your bearings, you should be able to match them up with Enduro bearings.. FWIW, I replace mine with the MAXX bearings.
    Last edited by littlejohn; 03-23-2008 at 03:44 AM.

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    All FS Ellsworths are provided with Enduroseals bearings originally in factory ,right?
    My bet:Creakin comes most likely shock.
    Clean it: Redusers,spring and that plate that holds spring in place.
    Do not forget seatpost and rails of seat.
    Last edited by zeb; 03-23-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Those who skibike, know..

Customer Service

[QUOTE=Renardo
    Note to Ellsworth: I spent the last 1/2 hour attempting to email you a question off your website.. first I had to register.. and then I had to register my bike which requires getting it out of the garage and finding the s/n, and then your stupid website says my s/n isn't valid, so I can't email my question.. apparently my $4500 bike didn't come with any customer service..[/QUOTE]

Renardo - thank you for your efforts on the website. Its not 100% yet, obviously, but the team is making headway every day. Im not sure it was intended to require a bike to be registered prior to asking any questions so I will double check with the web programming geeks.

You have the following options to get your question answered [not in any particular order]:
    1. Call Ellsworth tech support at 760.788.7500
    2. Post your question here on MTBR [it looks like several riders have already chimed in for you]
    3. Try the www.ellsworthbikes.com website again
    4. Contact your LBS where you purchased the ID
    5. Contact your nearest Ellsworth dealer

Your best bet is always to contact Ellsworth directly. It looks like you posted this on a Saturday, so I understand your frustration that you couldnt get instant satisfaction, then it was compounded a bit by the website. Hang in there -- you will get back riding soon.

Please dont forget to follow up on this thread and let everyone know how your experience went.
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the info everyone. I will tear it down and clean everything, including the shock, like you suggested and see if anything needs replaced.

Rogue Rider: Sorry I was apparently attempting the "Tech Support" form instead of the "Contact" form above it. It looks like the Contact form would have worked if I had been slightly more patient. I can understand not wanting to post an email address on the site with todays spammers. So I take back any hasty negative comments towards Ellsworth's website