not so super...

New question here. What Disk Brakes

What brakes are ya'll running on your Moments, Ids , Jokers and Dares? Ahh, hell any bike for that matter (even you lurking Turner owners ) UGI has struck again I was thinking of replacing my old Hayes Purples in favor of a Hope Mono M4/mini combo. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with the setup headache. Not really interested in going with cable discs.
    So what works and what works after some mods/changes?
    Last edited by SSINGA; 11-19-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    What brakes are ya'll running on your Moments, Ids , Jokers and Dares? I was thinking of replacing my old Hayes Purples in favor of a Hope Mono M4/mini combo. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with the setup headache.

I'm running 'old school' Hayes discs on the Id. Mine are 4 years old and I haven't had a lot of problems. Sounds like you just have 'up-grade-itis' since it's close to Christmas.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Rolling
    Id: Avid mechs, 7" on front, 6" on rear.
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-19-2004 at 03:11 PM.

not so super...
    What brakes are ya'll running on your Moments, Ids , Jokers and Dares? I was thinking of replacing my old Hayes Purples in favor of a Hope Mono M4/mini combo. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with the setup headache. Anyone using Hopes?
    Hyd only please - I'm not interested in the cable discs.
    Anyone have any insight/opinions on the Hopes?

Bodhisattva
    Not an Ellsworth rider but figured I share anyway since you lurk on the Turner board

I've been using Magura Louise FR for the past 3 years and am very pleased. Great power & modulation, easy to setup & bleed and the benefit of having the Magura Cult and the best customer service in the biz.

Hayes have great power but are grabby. The Hopes are a bit grabby too, but not as much as the Hayes. Some complain of squeal on the Hope but I haven't seen/heard it.

Only thing I prefer about the Hayes & Hope over Magura is the better ergonomic lever. I'd like to see Magura come up with something a little better, but it's not a big deal by any stretch.

I've ridden the Avid Juicy 7's a bit lately and really like those too. Very similar to the Louise FR.

Just my 2 cents....

not so super...
    Crash - Yes it is Xmas UGI! The wife asked what I wanted so I'm trying to compile a list. She did say the $995 price tag for the 36 was over the top and would be removed from any list I gave her

Thanks SW - I edited my original post to include ya'll too.

Bodhisattva
    The wife asked what I wanted so I'm trying to compile a list. She did say the $995 price tag for the 36 was over the top and would be removed from any list I gave her
    That's why I manage the checkbook and I hide all my purchaes from her. Every now and then she'll look at my bikes and say "when did you get that" and I'll make up some story about how I got a great deal and sold my old whatever on ebay for more than I paid for the new item. I don't think she believes me, but I don't ask when I see new jewelry laying around either.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    That's why I manage the checkbook and I hide all my purchaes from her. Every now and then she'll look at my bikes and say "when did you get that" and I'll make up some story about how I got a great deal and sold my old whatever on ebay for more than I paid for the new item. I don't think she believes me, but I don't ask when I see new jewelry laying around either.

That funny SW. I'm a stay at home dad and manage all the finances too. Last summer I told her I wanted a cheap road bike and she said 'You do the finances so you know what we can afford.' She's not the kind of woman to run a guilt trip on someone so I know she's genuine when she says it. But then when we bought her new bike, she went for the upgraded model. So she can understand the difference b/w crap and good parts.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

not so super...
    haha! My new Moment was a "warranty replacement" as far as she knows. That's also why all my bikes have been black for a while now. It's less likely to draw her attention if they all looks the same (in her non-cycling eyes anyway).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hopes are good.

Hyd only please - I'm not interested in the cable discs.
    Anyone have any insight/opinions on the Hopes?
    I have a set of M4s on my Gemini and I had a set of stock 8" Hayes hydros on my Joker before I sold it and the Hopes are a better feeling brake with more modulation than the Hayes. The only problem is that the hopes cost a lot more to buy and maintain. A lot more.

Outcast
    haha! My new Moment was a "warranty replacement" as far as she knows. That's also why all my bikes have been black for a while now. It's less likely to draw her attention if they all looks the same (in her non-cycling eyes anyway).
    Wow, and I thought I was sneaky hiding my bike-stuff-purchases from my wife!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got Juicy 7's on my Moment. Only a couple of rides so far, but I think I will be happy with them. Set up was a breeze (same setup as the avid mechs); just squeeze the lever and tighten the bolts and I was running drag free in just a few minutes time. They are not broken in yet, but they still manage to stop my clyd-heiny.

No experience with any other hydros, but the 7's seem pretty good to me.

fb

Got Rogued!
    I run a pair of Louise Fr 2004 on my Id (rotors 7" & 6"in, wavy rotors) and I'm really happy with the power and modulation. However, the ergonomics of the 2004 model is worse (in my opinion) than the 2003 model (that I was using on my RM Pipeline).
    I also run a pair of Marta SL (6" & 6", wavy rotors, carbon levers) on my K2 Razorback and let me say WoW! What a brake! Power, modulation, comfortable to use... My perfect brake... Magura rules!
    I've also tried some Hayes HFX-9 : lots of power, less modulation, noisy in general and I did'nt liked the lever... It's about that!

mtbr member

2003 Louise FR

What brakes are ya'll running on your Moments, Ids , Jokers and Dares? Ahh, hell any bike for that matter (even you lurking Turner owners ) UGI has struck again I was thinking of replacing my old Hayes Purples in favor of a Hope Mono M4/mini combo. I'm just not sure if I want to deal with the setup headache. Not really interested in going with cable discs.
    Finally, magura make a real brake. Ive had Maggies since 1999, and always thought they were overated. The Louise FR rocks, everything Ive ever wanted in a disc brake. Maybe I will finally join the magura cult

whatever she says gueuze.

Hydros

I'm running M4's (7") on my Intense SL and Hayes Mags (8") on my Dare. The Hopes have better modulation but I personally like the on-off power of hayes more. The lever of the Hopes do feel better than the stock levers on hayes so my recommendation.....if you have ~$500, buy hopes (lighter setup + no adaptor needed + better looking)......if not, buy hayes mags and purchase aftermarket lever blades (bonz or dangerboy). Also, keep in mind that if anything were to happen to hopes, replacement parts may be a pain to get equating to no riding time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wink I've got Hope Mono M4"s on My Moment.

I'm running 200mm front and 180mm rear. They have the best modulation and plenty of power. Not much else to say.

Big JuJu

sock puppet

Turner?

yeah, i heard about them...

;-) Squeek - you are always welcome here... heck, i'd even ride with you if you were closer, nevermind your bike... ;-P

I have Magura SL kit in the box, havent installed them yet (still collecting all the pieces of the puzzle)... I like carbon fiber levers, they look pretty ergo - i hope they are durable as well...

i decided to go Magura over Hayes Mags and Hope Mono Mini... we'll see if this was the right decision. Based on few reviews and user's opinions, i should be fine...

Not an Ellsworth rider but figured I share anyway since you lurk on the Turner board

I've been using Magura Louise FR for the past 3 years and am very pleased. Great power & modulation, easy to setup & bleed and the benefit of having the Magura Cult and the best customer service in the biz.

Hayes have great power but are grabby. The Hopes are a bit grabby too, but not as much as the Hayes. Some complain of squeal on the Hope but I haven't seen/heard it.

Only thing I prefer about the Hayes & Hope over Magura is the better ergonomic lever. I'd like to see Magura come up with something a little better, but it's not a big deal by any stretch.

I've ridden the Avid Juicy 7's a bit lately and really like those too. Very similar to the Louise FR.

Just my 2 cents....

sock puppet

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by ndinh
    I'm running M4's (7") on my Intense SL and Hayes Mags (8") on my Dare. The Hopes have better modulation but I personally like the on-off power of hayes more. The lever of the Hopes do feel better than the stock levers on hayes so my recommendation.....if you have ~$500, buy hopes (lighter setup + no adaptor needed + better looking)......if not, buy hayes mags and purchase aftermarket lever blades (bonz or dangerboy). Also, keep in mind that if anything were to happen to hopes, replacement parts may be a pain to get equating to no riding time.
    replacement parts for Hope Hydros were the biggest concern for me too...

Also, Magura comes with 5 years no-leak warranty.

Brass Nipples!

I'm running XTR dual control

with 6 inch rear and 8 inch front with a GRC adapter and rotor. They have worked great so far.

I had the closed system Hope C2's on my old RFX and they have given me and the person who bought the bike 5 years of flawless service.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

hope

My wife and I havebeen running hopes for ever with no problems. mini's, mono mini's,

I'm in Hawaii and I get parts form Hope in Ca. in a couple of days and thats USPS, so parts are never an issue.

Just make sure you get the right rotor size and brake for your weight,riding and bike set-up. The only time I had issues was on our Whistler trip with my back brakes 140mm rotor and I was using larger tires than I normaly use at home the rear would over heat on some of the long down hills no problems with the 160mm on the front. (yes,I do know how to brake I favor the front) That was on my ID set light for cross country. with 2.1 tires I never have that problem.

Also make sure you face the tabs, I just finished building my moment and I am always amazed at how out of whack the tabs are on these high end frames. (Ellsworth, Ventana, Turner, Titus, Foes) they all needed work.

aloha J

trail fairy

Mag Lousie FRs

Magura Lousie FRs 04s and love em ridden the rest these are the best IMO running braided hoses the feel and mod is awesome, Juciy's would be close, Hopes in there to,
    I run a 180mm fr and 160 mm rear love em.

BTB you have just let me down for the first time why oh why do you have dual control!!!
    I ride a road bike and that's where STI should stay maybe OK for XC but not a AM bike only IMO flay me all you shimano riders!! nearly went this way before I rode friends SRAM X9 thankfully I had my eyes opened, on a quick note my Intense 5.5 buddy uses DC and gave me stick for months!! he's now waiting for Jenson to get there act together to get his Juicys and X9 , XO to him I think these are hard to get at the Mo!!

Oh well BTB I won't hold it against you just ribbing ya slighlty maybe you'll be SRAMed one day, enjoy! I can never figure out which way is which when we swap rides! always happy to get back to a 4bar & sram, VPP not for me, though it is a nice bike!

Ride hard Ride long or go Home

Brass Nipples!

My antitheft device!

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent

BTB you have just let me down for the first time why oh why do you have dual control!!!
    I ride a road bike and that's where STI should stay maybe OK for XC but not a AM bike only IMO flay me all you shimano riders!! nearly went this way before I rode friends SRAM X9 thankfully I had my eyes opened, on a quick note my Intense 5.5 buddy uses DC and gave me stick for months!! he's now waiting for Jenson to get there act together to get his Juicys and X9 , XO to him I think these are hard to get at the Mo!!

Oh well BTB I won't hold it against you just ribbing ya slighlty maybe you'll be SRAMed one day, enjoy! I can never figure out which way is which when we swap rides! always happy to get back to a 4bar & sram, VPP not for me, though it is a nice bike!

Ride hard Ride long or go Home
    With dual control levers and right front braking, anyone who steals my bike will soon end up in a heap.

Actually I got lucky with a sponsorship deal a couple of years ago. I do like the system now that I'm used to it. Down for a harder gear, up for easier on both sides. Shimano claims that the wobbly levers help reduce crash damage, and they may be right.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    With dual control levers and right front braking, anyone who steals my bike will soon end up in a heap.
    Unless they are used to being on a motorcycle! A friend from work, who is an avid motorcycle rider, got on his brothers bike and started down the hill in the neighborhood and grabbed a handfull of the left (front) brake for a OTB trip.

trail fairy

... and if we just ... Crash Damage

Only crash damage happens to me I never let the bike take the hard hits, though I probably have no choice, (broke my back last year), I have never touch wood broken a brake lever on a MTB bike, happened a few times back in my motocross days, but the trick was to setup yr levers tight enough that they don't move unless in a good crash, BTB those wobbly levers I will have to let you away with it but have my doubts! I like the stiff feel of the 7s and FRs, Hayes don't even come close in the same config, and since you were sponsored you can never frown at free stuff huh, enjoy the riding your beast maybe one day we will all hit the same trail wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Ride hard Ride Long or Go home

not so super...
    What about the Juicy 7? Good or bad. The reviews seem to be hit or miss.

Bodhisattva
    Ridden them a few times. Very nice brake.
    Power is about the same as my Magura FR.
    Modulation is very good. Maybe a step below Magura which I think has the best modulation.
    Good lever ergonomics, better than Magura.
    The ability adjust the engagement point is a plus.
    I like the Avid centering mechanism which eliminates the need for shims.
    I know Larry at Mtn High has sold a bunch & is not seeing many problems whatsoever. He has a set himself.

not so super...
    Ridden them a few times. Very nice brake.
    Power is about the same as my Magura FR.
    Modulation is very good. Maybe a step below Magura which I think has the best modulation.
    Good lever ergonomics, better than Magura.
    The ability adjust the engagement point is a plus.
    I like the Avid centering mechanism which eliminates the need for shims.
    I know Larry at Mtn High has sold a bunch & is not seeing many problems whatsoever. He has a set himself.
    Well, that all sounds good.

The Avid ease of setup is what has me now looking at these over the Hopes Bling factor. My original motivation to get the Hopes was in an attempt to have all black components on my bike. I already sent Larry an email asking about availability and pricing.

Bodhisattva
    FWIW. Magura Louise FR = All Black...except the rotor

not so super...
    FWIW. Magura Louise FR = All Black...except the rotor
    Yea, but I keep going to their website and looking at it trying to talk myself into the Magura and I just can't do it. The lever/mount design is so FUGLY and cheap looking IMO.

Now, if I could get the Gustav levers with the Louise FR calipers.....

Bodhisattva
    Really? I like them. Oh well. Can't win them all.

not so super...
    I ordered the Juicy 7's. I found a new pair with 203mm rotors for $300 shipped.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 12-02-2004 at 12:55 PM.